This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Multistate Outbreak of Salmonella I 4, [5], 12:i:- in Alfalfa Sprouts

edited December 2010 in Science
Here's a link to the CDC page about this outbreak.

I warn people about raw sprouts all the time, but maybe you'll actually listen if it comes from the CDC:
Advice to Consumers

Persons who think they might have become ill from eating a potentially contaminated product should consult their health care providers. Since 1996, there have been at least 30 reported outbreaks of foodborne illness associated with different types of raw and lightly cooked sprouts. Most of these outbreaks were caused by Salmonella and E. coli.

To reduce the risk of illness:

* Children, the elderly, pregnant women, and persons with weakened immune systems should avoid eating raw sprouts of any kind (including alfalfa, clover, radish, and mung bean sprouts).
* Cook sprouts thoroughly to reduce the risk of illness. Cooking kills the harmful bacteria.
* Request that raw sprouts not be added to your food. If you purchase a sandwich or salad at a restaurant or delicatessen, check to make sure that raw sprouts have not been added.

For more information on illnesses associated with sprouts, visit Foodsafety.gov.
I also get this question a lot: "Is it safer if I grow them myself?" I never really knew the answer definitely, but I always suspected - and advised - that it was probably not necessarily the case. The sprout itself is a higher-risk food product because of the nature of the food itself. They have to be grown in warm, wet conditions; they grow quite close to the ground and in a relatively high plant density; and they are typically eaten raw. If any pathogen at all is present anywhere in this process, the actual sprouting will help that pathogen grow to dangerous levels.

But don't take my word for it. Go read up on it and consider the perspectives of other experts. That's what we're here for.

Comments

• Yummy Sprouts ^_^
  • What about sprouts from a can? Does that count as raw sprouts?
  • What about sprouts from a can? Does that count as raw sprouts?
    Never mind. Stupid question. If I get sprouts from a can, that is because I am about to stir fry them, and that will make them no longer raw.
  • edited December 2010
    What about sprouts from a can? Does that count as raw sprouts?
    Canned products are usually fine. I believe most canned sprouts have some sort of heat applied during the canning process; it's not really a cold-fill product AFAIK.

Of course, canned products do carry that small risk of C. botulinum contamination, so do with that what you will. I'm not aware of any cases of botulism from canned sprouts, but I also don't necessarily know everything.

Me, I just avoid 'em wholesale.

EDIT: How long do you stir-fry the sprouts? I'm curious. I've never seen any studies about the efficacy of standard stir-frying practices in the reduction of pathogenic load.

EDIT AGAIN: Apparently the Canadian Health Department advises you to avoid bean sprouts in stir-fries, because you cannot verify that they've been cooked thoroughly.

Again, take that as you will.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Nos, sprout in stir fry is like, the only time I ate sprouts.
  • I've never seen any studies about the efficacy of standard stir-frying practices in the reduction of pathogenic load.
    Cooking with Pete would definitely be an interesting show.
  • Nos, sprout in stir fry is like, the only time I ate sprouts.
    I'm not saying that it is definitely a hazard; I'm saying that I cannot assess the risk level of stir-fried sprouts.

So, I avoid them.
  • Sprouts suck.
  • edited December 2010
    Nos, sprout in stir fry is like, the only time I ate sprouts.
    I'm not saying that it isdefinitelya hazard; I'm saying that I cannot assess the risk level of stir-fried sprouts.

So, I avoid them.
    Apply for a government grant to study it. Since you are so obsessed with sprouts, that will let you work with them every day for a very long time.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Apply for a government grant to study it.
    I have a hojillion other responsibilities. I ain't got time for that shit.

Plus, stir-fried bean sprouts were implicated in the Canadian sprout outbreak of '05, and cooked sprouts have been implicated in US outbreaks in the past.

So, I'm not so sure about stir-frying. The key is to cook the sprouts thoroughly, and many stir-fries involve - usually - just searing the outside of the vegetables.
  • So, I'm not so sure about stir-frying. The key is to cook the sprouts thoroughly, and many stir-fries involve - usually - just searing the outside of the vegetables.
    In that case, I'll put the sprouts in first, alone, cook them thoroughly, and then add them back in later.
  • In that case, I'll put the sprouts in first, alone, cook them thoroughly, and then add them back in later.
    Don't they go limp if you overcook them? I thought the point of sprouts was to add something nice and crunchy to the stir-fry.
  • In that case, I'll put the sprouts in first, alone, cook them thoroughly, and then add them back in later.
    Don't they go limp if you overcook them? I thought the point of sprouts was to add something nice and crunchy to the stir-fry.
    Not-a-secret: I suck at stir-fry. e.g: meat gum.
  • the Canadian sprout outbreak of '05
    Back when rocks were soft and dinosaurs roamed the Earth, eh Grandpa?

The other option is to stop trying to rationalize your sprouts as "safe" and just accept that there is a risk to eating them. People eat risky shit all the time. I know there have been a couple of batches of leftovers that I took a chance on. Pete will only rage a little bit if you make an informed choice. It's the hippie who refuse to believe the health risks and profess a bunch of bullshit unsupported health benefits that make Pete asplode.
  • I ate six raw oysters on the half last night. And a couple hunks of raw ahi.

Is that more or less dangerous than eating stir-fried bean sprouts? Or getting them on a sammich?
  • I've never seen any studies about the efficacy of standard stir-frying practices in the reduction of pathogenic load.
    Cooking with Pete would definitely be an interesting show.
    We need to get on that!
    Cooking with science... by a food safety professional :)
  • Do the sprouts turn people into zombies? If not, why are we talking about them? Sprouts are nasty. You'll never see me catch any sprout-borne illness because I stay away from the nasty little bastards.
  • Pete will only rage a little bit if you make an informed choice.
    Well, yes, because you're still making a bad choice. :P
    It's the hippie who refuse to believe the health risks and profess a bunch of bullshit unsupported health benefits that make Pete asplode.
    But yeah, this is pretty much always the case. There's an entire sprout lobby dedicated to telling you that sprouts are harmless and that certified organic sprouts have never ever ever made anyone sick ever.

Which is a complete lie, FYI. I've personally isolated organisms from certified organic growers that have later been linked to cases of human illness.

People wonder why I rage against natural foods; it's because their lobby has managed to get people thinking that they're on the "right" side of some imaginary conflict.
    Is that more or less dangerous than eating stir-fried bean sprouts? Or getting them on a sammich?
    I have no idea about the oysters, but by and large, blocks of raw meat of any sort are less hazardous than raw sprouts.

I have no idea about raw ahi versus stir-fried sprouts, though.

Also, raw oysters are just gross and you shouldn't eat them anyway.
  • Also, raw oysters are just gross and you shouldn't eat them anyway.
    Lies. Foul, blatant lies.
    Lies. Foul, blatant lies.
    Enjoy your Vibrio.
  • edited December 2010
    IWILL.
    Don't come crying to me when you get massive, disfiguring ulcers from a V. vulnificus infection.

Oh wait, you won't get to, because it has a 30%-ish mortality rate when treated.

Merry fucking Christmas. :P
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited December 2010
    IWILL.
    Don't come crying to me when you get massive, disfiguring ulcers from aV. vulnificusinfection.

Oh wait, you won't get to, because it has a 30%-ish mortality ratewhen treated.

Merry fucking Christmas. :P
    Hahaha.

It seems that Gulf Coast oysters are the ones that primarily concentrate Vib. East Coast and Pacific oysters don't seem to have that problem as much as their Gulf brethren due to the relative cleanliness of their ocean water; I wasn't eating any Gulf oysters the other night. Something about an oil spill. I dunno.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Something about an oil spill. I dunno.
    Fun fact: The current methodology for examining seafood for crude oil contamination involves cooking and eating it. The methods haven't been updated since the Exxon Valdez spill.
  • Something about an oil spill. I dunno.
    Fun fact: The current methodology for examining seafood for crude oil contamination involvescooking and eatingit. The methods haven't been updated since theExxon Valdezspill.
    What the fuck.
  • What the fuck.
    This is what happens when you don't fund your government science agencies. Nobody gives a fuck until something kills someone. Then, we scramble to put something together on a nearly non-existent budget while the industry bitches and moans the entire time. The public stopped caring 15 seconds after the problem was announced because they're full up on bread and circuses, and 10 years later they scream when we can't do something when the exact same thing happens again.

A warning to the aspiring scientist: down this road lies bitterness and misanthropy.
  • Fire, fire fixes everything.
  • Fun fact: The current methodology for examining seafood for crude oil contamination involvescooking and eatingit. The methods haven't been updated since theExxon Valdezspill.
    I'd just like to note that my aunt worked on the oil spill. The standard for checking fish for oil/dispersants is a SNIFF TEST. THAT'S IT. Smells good? Serve it!
  • The standard for checking fish for oil/dispersants is a SNIFF TEST. THAT'S IT. Smells good? Serve it!
    Yup. Organoleptic testing FTL. :(

If my distributor keeps them on ice, and I buy them and carry them home in a cooler with ice, and then at home store them in a refrigerator that is set at 32 degrees Fahrenheit, I don't see the problem with enjoying an oyster on the half shell.