This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Super Meat Boy

Comments

• My Super Meat Boy strategy is generally, proceed with reckless abandon.
    Yeah, I like how hare beats tortoise.
  • edited December 2010
    What is the difference between Super Meat Boy and I Wanna be the Guy?
    Post edited by Starfox on
  • The main difference is that Super Meat Boy gives you fair warning when it's about to kill you.
  • What is the difference between Super Meat Boy and I Wanna be the Guy/
    I was not impressed with I Wanna be the Guy. It's way too arbitrary and capricious.
  • edited December 2010
    Although one might not like deaths coming out of nowhere in IWBTG, I found them to be generally amusing. To me, the traps are especially entertaining when you start to catch on and see them coming; it's a great feeling to dodge one ahead of time, and it's also very funny when the game exploits the tricks you've been using to try to dodge the traps.

Most importantly, though, IWBTG was actually a tight and difficult platformer underneath all the surprise buttsecks it unleashed. Even if the surprise deaths are an unnecessary hindrance to you, the majority of the time you spend is still going to be attempting to finish sections where you know exactly what to do but fail to do it.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Although one might not like deaths coming out of nowhere in IWBTG, I found them to be generally amusing.
    Oh, don't get me wrong. I find them hilarious. IWBTG is a great game for what it is, it just isn't my bag. I prefer to experience it via Youtube.
  • I wanna write a song for Super Meat Boy, based of 20th Century Boy. "I'm your toy, I'm your Super Meat Boy~"
  • I enjoyed finding the Minus World.
    Oh but there are many minus worlds! I was plowing through Chapter 6 dark world yesterday and bandage girl started doing her "minus world freakout". Needless to say, some of those stages take 20+ tries and I was unable to get to her.
    The only level so far that has greatly angered me is the first level of the Kid's warpzone. I spent about an hour straight on it at one point.
    I played two minutes of that warp zone and immediately said "screw this". The dark world warp zones are another thing I have put on the back burner until I finish all of the stages.

The stage that has given me most trouble had to be the final stage of the first DLC pack for XBox (not sure what the Steam equivalent would be). I'm wondering if it's as hard as I made it out to be though, since I played it before even finishing the light world game, and have more than likely improved since then. I was probably playing way above my level, but somehow managed to beat it after what must have been an hour.
  • I am officially taking a Super Meat Boy vacation and moving on to other games. Finished all stages, both light and dark, including the Cotton Alley bandage girl stages. My hands need a break! Those later dark world stages were truly a bitch.
    Oh but there are many minus worlds! I was plowing through Chapter 6 dark world yesterday and bandage girl started doing her "minus world freakout". Needless to say, some of those stages take 20+ tries and I was unable to get to her.
    THAT'S what that is!?

I just get to Bandage Girl and go to minus world!?
  • Yep, for each set of 20 levels, there is a stage -1. From what I've read, it's completely random and there is nothing you can do to help trigger it, but when Bandage Girl starts rotating really fast and making crazy beeps and boops, all you've got to do is get to her. It will count as beating the stage, and also unlock the stage -1, which plays like a warp zone.
  • I think you have to have beaten all the stages in the world to see it. 'Cause I haven't seen it in the worlds were I skipped a stage
  • I think you have to have beaten all the stages in the world to see it. 'Cause I haven't seen it in the worlds were I skipped a stage
    I'm pretty sure you just have to beat the boss, but don't quote me on that.
  • Beat The Rapture today.
  • Beat The Rapture today.
    Have fun with The End and Cotton Alley.
  • The End
    STILL CAN'T BEAT THE FIFTH FUCKING LEVEL WHAT THE FUCK
  • The End
    Remind me which one that is.
  • The End
    Remind me which one that is.
  • Yeah Omega can be pretty tricky. I'm slowly making my way through Cotton Alley.
  • edited January 2011
    Heh, I think that was actually the one stage that gave me the least amount of trouble. I spent way more time on the one where you have to go around and under the platform to the other side, get the key, then work your way back.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Also still can't beat Level 5 of The End. I've beaten every level before that, also every Dark Level except for The End, most of them with A+. Only exceptions are the minus worlds and the retro level (1977). Dunno if I got all the Warp Zones though. I got The Forest on 100% though.
  • I got The Forest on 100% though.
    Just did that myself. On to The Hospital!

My working plan is to 100% a stage before moving on to the next. We'll see how long I keep that going.
  • My working plan is to 100% a stage before moving on to the next. We'll see how long I keep that going.
    That's like, a surefire way to make yourself lose interest.
  • That's like, a surefire way to make yourself lose interest.
    I hyperfocus. I once beat a time attack stage in F-Zero GX on the hardest difficulty setting by repeating the stage over and over for - quite literally - 2.5 hours straight. I don't lose interest when the game is taunting me. :P
  • I don't lose interest when the game is taunting me. :P
    Tell me that when you get to world 5 playing this way.
  • Tell me that when you get to world 5 playing this way.
    I never said the plan can't change. :P
  • Idon't lose interest when the game is taunting me. :P
    10 year old me would agree 100%.
  • That's like, a surefire way to make yourself lose interest.
    I hyperfocus. I once beat a time attack stage in F-Zero GX on the hardest difficulty setting by repeating the stage over and over for - quite literally - 2.5 hours straight. I don't lose interest when the game is taunting me. :P
    I can be kinda like this on various games. It's one reason why I try not to play too many games.
  • Heh. I beat Contra 4 on the Hard difficulty in much the same way, and it probably took me 100+ hours. However, I will note that most of that time was bus rides to and from university.