This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Praising Blog Post

2»

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Or to summarise - you hate homeopathy. Apreche hates homeopathy. I understand why you feel that way. I just don't agree with your view on the complete quakery of all homeopathy - that's a blanket punishment.
    Well, you don't seem to quite understand what their point of view is, it's not dissimilar to your own. You're citing the placebo effect as being a method through which it can have a benificial effect, but that's not why, we're against it - we are against it on the grounds that people are way overselling something that, essentially, doesn't work in the slightest(because, as a doctor, you should know - The placebo effect, as useful as it can be for minor complaints, does not count as a treatment "working")

Also, it just doesn't make sense. If water has a memory, more dilute substances are more powerful, etc, etc, then how does the water forget all the shit it's had in it? Does water just have a selective memory?

I will add, full disclosure, I'm against homeopathy, took part in the 10:23 campaign and I'm known to regularly swallow entire bottles of homeopathic treatments to prove a point.
    The question is: are you denying that there is a psychological component to healing?
    Absolutely not. BUT, the solution is to be a Better doctor, not use Homoeopathy as a crutch. Also, you have to be mindful and careful - a patient who "Feels" better, but isn't really better, and therefore ceases treatment, can harm themselves much more than a patient who doesn't feel as good, but is continuing the treatment.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Yes, absolutely - they treat symptoms, or are simply placebos. But I definitely take your point - it's the concept of me saying that homeopathy *works*... the substances themselves have no effect on curing your underlying illness therefore they can't be compared to something like radiotherapy which has clearly documented therapeutic effects on the body. I see, I see. Thanks for taking the time to point it out - holy crap. Now I know what to change!!

I've updated it.

Ignorance of the public is the biggest factor by far. I wouldn't advise a patient *against* homeopathy if they wanted to try it, though. I don't feel that strongly about it being a peril other than the fact that it is false advertising, but then again so are diet pills.
  • edited January 2011
    As a result, repeated visits to the doctor may result in repeated illness, whereas visiting a homeopath may have you cured within days. Does homeopathy work? Of course some of it works. Just like some radiotherapy works. Some radiotherapy just straight up kills you. Same with homeopathy. The difference is that if a homeopath cures you, there is a huge element of emotional healing associated with treatment.
    Err, do you have an example of homeopathy "straight up killing" someone? Note - I know people can die from receiving homeopathic treatment instead of the real medicine they needed, but I don't think that counts here.

In any case, if what you want is to talk to someone in order to feel better, why would you want to talk to a homeopath?

EDIT: Well, the post has been edited since then.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • @lackofcheese - off the top of my head? nope, can't think of a single one other than that you mentioned. I'm not going to look it up though so let's just say there aren't any.

Again, are you denying that there is a psychological component to healing? Physical healing, specifically.
  • ha ha - all good then! What d'ya think of the update?

at least y'all have pointed out the inconsistencies - it's useful getting feedback here.
  • Essentially the issue is that Homeopathic medicine is water pills. You can't die from taking too many pills full of water.
  • Sarai on the job.
  • By the way, would you like to buy some of my homeopathic remedies? They've been known to increase activity in the happiness parts of your soul and make you temporarily smarter! Great for break up blues and pop quizzes alike! Made with all sugar (Everyone loves sugar!), it has zero calories and acts quickly and you feel the effects almost immediately!* I sell them in tablet form, which are available in a multitude of flavors! Orange, Spearmint, Cherry, Mango, Cinnamon, and Wintergreen!

If you're interested in purchasing some from me, I sell them in "insta-use" packs, designed for six, four tablet quick effect dosages for $20. Also available 1 month use packages for $50. Two per day for 24 days, giving your system a 6 day balancing phase between usage phases. I recommended you take them with Mineral Spring water; it quickens the effect and give your body some of the water it needs during the day. :)

Of course, every product I sell comes in it's own handy dispenser unit that is small enough to fit in a coin pocket! And I offer something others don't, all the products I sell are manufactured in an FDA approved facility.
    @Sonic: ha ha - an FDA approved facility? Hee hee - the FDA are way to capitalist to be interested in homeopathy... that's why we have all these other homeopathy societies all over the place claiming they are legit!
    *cough*
  • @Andrew: "His chakra's are failing! His chakra's are failing! Get me some aquamarine crystals! STAT!" I could see myself yelling that in a casualty and getting pelted with rocks from doctors and patients alike. Might be fun to try!

@Sonic: point taken. :)
  • I respect Sarai, if only for the fact that this is the most jovial yet serious argument I have ever seen on the forum.

• at least y'all have pointed out the inconsistencies - it's useful getting feedback here.
    Respect +1 for taking that well.
    You can't die from taking too many pills full of water.
    Excess water intake can be fatal, FYI.
  • Excess water intake can be fatal, FYI.
    Water Intoxication is pretty un-fun.
  • I respect Sarai, if only for the fact that this is the most jovial yet serious argument I have ever seen on the forum.
    Yep yep!
  • Excess water intake can be fatal, FYI.
    Water Intoxication is pretty un-fun.
    I have never seen anyone projectile vomit further than when two not-very-bright people I knew in college decided it would be fun to do a shot-per-minute of water until one person gave up. I honestly can't remember how far they got, but it was definitely over in under an hour. The nice part is that there really was no real "vomit" as you would typically picture it in your mind. There was just pure water coming back up, yet it was hurled from the mouth in a wide stream shot further than any man should reasonably be able to project a liquid.
  • Ha ha - thanks you guys! I appreciate you taking time to break it down, yo~
    Look at where all the dedication gotcha - you got *gasp* someone to admit *gasp* that they were - dare I say it - wrong?! OMG!

@Gundabad - bwahaha! Not very bright indeed.
  • Look at where all the dedication gotcha - you got *gasp* someone to admit *gasp* that they were - dare I say it - wrong?! OMG!
    Don't laugh, it's rare enough around here and you might jinx it.
  • Look at where all the dedication gotcha - you got *gasp* someone to admit *gasp* that they were - dare I say it - wrong?! OMG!
    Don't laugh, it's rare enough around here and you might jinx it.
    Hahahahaha! Or... maybe i've started a fad...
  • This is highly unlikely