This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Learning Japanese

edited January 2011 in Everything Else
Ok I am also learning japanese, I know it is quite difficult. Is it right that some japanese characters are taken from Chinese character.

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Is it right that some japanese characters are taken from Chinese character.
    All of them come from Chinese characters, but they have been separated for a long time so there are subtle variations between traditional Chinese (like what is used in Taiwan), Japanese, and Simplified Chinese. However, I can read Chinese and get the general topic and gist of it, because I know the meaning of Japanese kanji. (For example, there is a printshop near me in Chinatown that I can read the sign that says "Printing," but I cannot pronounce it in Chinese.)
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited July 2011
    Learning a bit of Japanese, I decided to try and translate my name. I believe the way to write my last name would be サジナ, or in hiragana, さじな which according to google translate, means a spoon. Interesting.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • Learning a bit of Japanese, I decided to try and translate my name. I believe the way to write my last name would be サジナ, or in hiragana, さじな which according to google translate, means a spoon. Interesting.
    If life were an anime, I'd call you a 'spoony bard', and then whoever fansubs our universe would have to put a translator's note at the top explaining the linguistic joke.