This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20110106 - Oldening

edited January 2011 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights we consider our age and the effects of aging, coming closer and closer as we are to Carousel. We also geekbite the second Locke Lamora book - Red Seas under Red Skies - and consider the correlation between walking speed and longevity.

Download MP3

Comments

• correlation between walking speed and longevity.
    Sweet. Now I have an excuse when people tell me I'm walking too fast.
  • I believe I have a solution to your problem of what to do with all of the immortals. Given that aging is not a problem, we will not have to worry about the distances involved in space travel quite so much. At the age of 120 you are immediately conscripted into the space colonization corps, in which you will go forth and conquer new worlds.

Beware that such a system may have to take disregard for human life to new and hitherto unknown extremes.
  • Just as a note as I have lived in two of the four Commonwealth States in the U.S. they are Kentucky, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Virginia. Now you know a nice piece of trivia to bore people at parties with!

Virginia has like a "million" different license plate styles, which can lead to all kinds of fun. How about a big "V" for the University of Virgina and "AGINA"? My friend had a plate that was LOL WTF but when he got a new car they made him turn in his plates because I guess at that point someone at the DMV learned what WTF meant. Here is a website of cool license plates, which many are from Virginia because it is pretty cheap to get a vanity plate there.
  • The age of Carousel is 21 in the novel.
  • Just copy mindstates to disks and allow people to exist as AIs. Overpopulation would be solved, you would essentially enable the creation of Culture-like Minds, and people could load copies of themselves into satellites and act as probes. Additionally, you can enter storage for as long as you need to if crowding becomes an issue.

I am of the mind that, when it comes to Posthumanism, Iain M. Banks is right about many things.
  • I am of the mind that, when it comes to Posthumanism, Iain M. Banks is right about many things.
    I'm not sure how he can be right about anything, not just yet. Maybe you just agree with or like his visions more than other people.
  • The only good part of Law Abiding Citizen was the exploding cell phone.
  • edited January 2011
    I'm not sure how he can be right about anything, not just yet. Maybe you just agree with or like his visions more than other people.
    Not things like sublimation or his mode of FTL travel, but nanotech applications, group computing by linked consciousnesses, the general workings of a post-scarcity society, and the possibility for AIs to outstrip the intelligence of their human creators and be recognized as sentient.

Perhaps I do just agree with his predictions more, but that's because they make huge amounts of sense to me. Warren Ellis is good in the same way.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I'm not sure how he can be right about anything, not just yet. Maybe you just agree with or like his visions more than other people.
    Not things like sublimation or his mode of FTL travel, but nanotech applications, group computing by linked consciousnesses, the general workings of a post-scarcity society, and the possibility for AIs to outstrip the intelligence of their human creators and be recognized as sentient.

Perhaps I do just agree with his predictions more, but that's because they make huge amounts of sense to me. Warren Ellis is good in the same way.
    I like his writing, and his ideas appeal to me. On my book review podcast he is one of only three writers to get 5 out of 5 stars for one of his books. But I never confuse "good" or "fun" or "makes sense" with "right".
  • edited January 2011
    But I never confuse "good" or "fun" or "makes sense" with "right".
    Everyone makes mistakes in wording sometimes. Oh-fucking-well.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • But I never confuse "good" or "fun" or "makes sense" with "right".
    Everyone makes mistakes in wording sometimes. Oh-fucking-well.
    Hey, don't sweat it. Something I see quite often is people thinking that science fiction is about predicting the future, and I never see it as that, and I don't believe any science fiction author does either. People say that "Orwell was right, and Huxley was wrong" and similar, and that kinda misses the point*. Science fiction is about thought experiments, and trying to make self-consistent new worlds, and using them to explore themes via story and characters. Right or wrong doesn't come into it.

Banks himself says that his Culture is only so popular because it is as near to an appealing utopia anyone has yet written. Personally I can't wait until he writes a book where the whole system collapses. Actually, that might happen in his latest novel, Surface Details, but I've not had a chance to read it as yet.

*Although, to be fair, Huxley did think the world was moving towards what he set out in his book.
  • People say that "Orwell was right, and Huxley was wrong" and similar, and that kinda misses the point*.
    First off Huxley was right. Well, Orwell was right in North Korea and China, but even there the Huxlean powers that be are slowly taking over. But at least when I say something like that, I'm not making a comment about the authors or their books as if they were predictions. I'm just using the ideas from their works to discuss the world as it is. Using the books in a discussion about the world as opposed to using the world in a discussion about the books.
  • First off Huxley was right.
    That's a bold goddamn statement.
  • That's a bold goddamn statement.
    Be bold, Fight for what you believe!
  • People say that "Orwell was right, and Huxley was wrong" and similar, and that kinda misses the point*.
    First off Huxley was right. Well, Orwell was right in North Korea and China, but even there the Huxlean powers that be are slowly taking over. But at least when I say something like that, I'm not making a comment about the authors or their books as if they were predictions. I'm just using the ideas from their works to discuss the world as it is. Using the books in a discussion about the world as opposed to using the world in a discussion about the books.
    Second off, Orwell was right. If you really think Orwell's 1984 only applies to North Korea and China, then you need to re-read his work. Have you read 1984 recently? I read it last month, and in my podcast review I went on far too long about how the ideas portrayed in the book, on both sides of the argument, are highly noticeable in wider world today. I think I even made a plausible new argument about second order newspeak in relation to the "gate" suffix as applied to the Wikileaks cable releases.

See this is easy. Government control of the population through media, framing, language and distorting history exists. Also, popular control of moods through legal drugs and trite entertainment exists.

On the other hand, sentient machine intelligence, post-scarcity societies, nanotechnology (as commonly portrayed in science fiction), and post-human beings don't yet exist. Maybe they will, or maybe they won't, and current thinkers and authors may be proved "right" or "wrong" about those things. But not yet!
  • Huxley is wrong because there is not yet Centrifugal Bumble-Puppy.
    This infographic-type-thing really fits with this type of discussion. I haven't read either book recently enough to really discuss it, but I think the graphic really sums things up (linked because the graphic is kinda long, but hand-drawn and awesome)... Amusing Ourselves to Death
    This infographic-type-thing really fits with this type of discussion. I haven't read either book recently enough to really discuss it, but I think the graphic really sums things up (linked because the graphic is kinda long, but hand-drawn and awesome)...Amusing Ourselves to Death
    That's the one. I have read, and recommend, the book.
  • edited January 2011
    People say that "Orwell was right, and Huxley was wrong" and similar, and that kinda misses the point*.
    This infographic-type-thing really fits with this type of discussion. I haven't read either book recently enough to really discuss it, but I think the graphic really sums things up (linked because the graphic is kinda long, but hand-drawn and awesome)...Amusing Ourselves to Death
    This is what persuades you that Huxley was "right'? A webcomic? Man, you're really thinking deeply about these issues.

Yes, I know it's also a book. It's a book about culture published in 1985. That interests me too, since I thought that, in your opinion, anything more than two years old is worthless because it's obsolete and irrelevant and should be disdained by all the young, smart people. Surely a book about culture published in 1985 would be obsolete and irrelevant as well, no?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • This infographic-type-thing really fits with this type of discussion.
    Yes, it does fit. It demonstrates exactly the kind of shallow understanding and criticism of science fiction I am bemoaning. It sets up a completely false dichotomy between two authors and their works, and in doing so dismisses (or just misses) many HUGE elements of both works.

"Summing up" with an infographic is cool, but you know what is better? Reading the source material and finding your own meaning. Personally 1984 is one of my all time favourite novels, and I've read it many times. I've read Brave New World way, way less, not because I think it is less applicable to the current world, but because I don't enjoy it much as a piece of literature or story telling. Orwell was, technically, a way better writer than Huxley.

But both books were written for their time, and that they both have meaning today, when so much other literature falls be the wayside, is a testament to their worth. It isn't a competition, nor is the question of "right or wrong" a meaningful one.

Except, of course, if you are so clueless that a single infographic can sway your opinion on books you don't care enough to read before forming your own opinions (not a dig at anyone on this forum, but I've talked with that kind of person).
    This is what persuades you that Huxley was "right'? A webcomic? Man, you're really thinking deeply about these issues.

Yes, I know it's also a book. It's a book about culture published in 1985. That interests me too, since I thought that, in your opinion, anything more than two years old is worthless because it's obsolete and irrelevant and should be disdained by all the young, smart people. Surely a book about culture published in 1985 would be obsolete and irrelevant as well, no?
    Sorry to post something so evidently controversial. I am certainly not saying that a web comic is the only evidence one should take into account when delving into literary analysis, and I am not advocating skipping on reading source material. I haven't read either book since high school, as I have no time for pleasure reading (I am in college, and a member of the honors college, which is a great books program, i.e. expected to read about a book a week (Books from great authors like Kant, Locke, Hobbs, back to Homer) with several papers per quarter, on top of Basic, Breadth, and Major classes). I was simply throwing in a bit that I ran across on the net which I thought was relevant. I am certainly not ready to base any argument off a web comic, but I am not prepared to enter into a real discussion based on readings several years ago.

• Sorry to post something so evidently controversial. I am certainly not saying that a web comic is the only evidence one should take into account when delving into literary analysis, and I am not advocating skipping on reading source material.
    He was going after Scott for saying "Huxley was right" based on a single old book and a comic based on it. You're not at fault.
    I haven't read either book since high school, as I have no time for pleasure reading
    This isn't directed at you personally, but I've always found this kind of thinking to be fallacious. I'm a double-major (Molecular and Cellular Bio and Japanese Language&Culture;) that is also doing pre-med coursework, and I always make time to read for enjoyment. It's just a matter of consuming other information less.
  • Again, hen I say Huxley was right I'm not making a comment about the books. I'm making a comment about our world.

Look at the world around you. There are many Orwellian things, yes. There is the kind of blatant things you saw in the USSR and continue to see in many countries around the world. There is censorship, there is propaganda, there is the use of fear, and the use of force. With the recent proposals for national Internet IDs, there is no shortage of the Orwellian.

However, all of those things are transparent. There are many people in North Korea who know better. They're all watching South Korean sitcoms that have been smuggled into the country. People in China know better. That's why they're winning Nobel prizes while in jail. I really believe that 1984 just can't happen. In the book most people totally fall in line. In reality, ruling with fear and huge blatant lies is too obvious. Too many people can see through it, and now they are mad.

Yet, look at our world today for the Huxleyan, and you will see it even more frequently. A politician doesn't have to scare you into voting for them. They just get you playing Farmville all day long, and you won't do a thing about their heinous corruption. Talk about your bread and circuses, we have infinite circuses. People's minds are so occupied with trivialities that there is no room for anything else. Between Internet and television, the society is effectively "gentled" (see the Lies of Locke Lamora). We are not a dog that has been whipped and trained to obey orders. We're a cat buried in so much catnip, we're just going to sit still until we die.
  • I really believe that 1984 just can't happen. In the book most people totally fall in line. In reality, ruling with fear and huge blatant lies is too obvious. Too many people can see through it, and now they are mad.
    It is arguable that all of the individual people in 1984 know exactly what's going on, but are individually powerless to stop it due to the simple fact that everyone goes along with it anyway. To quote a documentary on Best Korea I watched recently (paraphrased), "whether they truly believe in the dear leader or simply pretend to do so out of fear is irrelevant to the outcome."

It doesn't matter in a 1984 world if you know the whole thing's a sham. You still can't take action unless a majority around you take action simultaneously. Any individual actor is quashed.
  • It doesn't matter in a 1984 world if you know the whole thing's a sham. You still can't take action unless a majority around you take action simultaneously. Any individual actor is quashed.
    That's true, but historically speaking there have been many countries that took the 1984 path, and it hasn't really worked so well. Because it is so obvious, it gives people a target. Even if only some get angry, they all are directing their anger at the same place. The USSR didn't even last a single century. North Korea probably won't. China might make it, but it's quite a bit less Orwellian. Historically it's not a winning strategy.

Meanwhile, the US has already got 200+ years, and Rome has the most. Both of these excelled at bread and circuses, not so much at mind control.
  • Meanwhile, the US has already got 200+ years, and Rome has the most. Both of these excelled at bread and circuses, not so much at mind control.
    But many of the specific techniques of a 1984 control scheme are in fact used by parties and individuals within even our system to great effect. Look at how powerfully the right has been able to frame the debate in many arenas through wordplay. Words like "progressive" suddenly take on a whole sinister connotation that was never previously there.
  • Words like "progressive" suddenly take on a whole sinister connotation that was never previously there.
    Prohibition kinda killed the progressives.
  • Meanwhile, the US has already got 200+ years, and Rome has the most. Both of these excelled at bread and circuses, not so much at mind control.
    But many of the specific techniques of a 1984 control scheme are in fact used by parties and individuals within even our system to great effect. Look at how powerfully the right has been able to frame the debate in many arenas through wordplay. Words like "progressive" suddenly take on a whole sinister connotation that was never previously there.
    This is true, but now get ready for mindblowingness. That doublespeak they use to great effect is being communicated through the medium of television news, which is itself a circus. If it were really 1984, then C-SPAN would be a complete forgery. Instead, we get a legitimate, yet boring, C-SPAN that nobody watches. Meanwhile what passes for news is as much fiction as any of those made for TV movies which are "based on real events."

Get your Matroshka dolls kids. I heard you like Orwells so I put an Orwell in your Huxley so you got doublespeak in your feelies.
  • If it were really 1984, then C-SPAN would be a complete forgery. Instead, we get a legitimate, yet boring, C-SPAN that nobody watches.
    Maybe the boring C-SPAN is the forgery!!!
  • Scott, I really can't take you seriously in anything you are saying. For a start, you are COMPLETELY missing the point here. Which is, to clarify, that nobody is saying the world is like the one portrayed in 1984. You are also the one arguing that the world is like the one portrayed in Brave New World. And nobody is disagreeing with you.

The point is that your understanding and thought processes about science fiction are very, very basic, and very simplistic, almost to the point of obvious uselessness. And even then you are being too shallow.

Brave New World doesn't just show people taking drugs and engaging in mindless entertainment. It also talks about raising kids from controlled test tube baby type labs, selecting and sorting them at birth into which class or caste they will be in for the rest of their lives, then indoctrinating them in those way throughout life. Only once they go through all that do the drugs and mindless entertainment come into play.

In the real world, we are far from this happening. Just as far from this happening as the events and politics that we read in 1984. But, and let me explain with simple words here, because you obviously aren't getting it: this doesn't matter. Neither book is a prediction. Neither book is right. Neither book is wrong. However, both books remain relevant, as their themes and ideas are still applicable in today's modern world.