This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

7 Days Until Japan

edited January 2011 in Everything Else
So my trip to Japan hasn't been canceled yet, which means it's quite likely that it will actually happen. It's time to play the recommendation game: what should I buy? I'm talking random foodstuffs, trinkets, toys, games, etc., that would be very hard to find over here. Is this still the case with things or is everything easily importable via the internet? If it is actually still hard to get certain stuff, I may be willing to buy some extra and mail it out once back home, but no promises.

Comments

• Experiences. Everything else is available via the Internet.
  • edited January 2011
    Rym's mostly wrong/making an overly broad statement, depending on what you want. Your genshiken sorta stuff should be easy to find online but it's all about the weird things you find in side-shops.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Experiences. Everything else is available via the Internet.
    Rym's mostly wrong/making an overly broad statement, depending on what you want. Your genshiken sorta stuff should be easy to find online but it's all about the weird things you find in side-shops.
    Both true. You rpriority should be experiences and memories, not shopping. However, if you do come across something that has special meaning, or something that you want and will never see again, then don't hesitate.

I would spend most of my money on food.
  • Have a dinner at a little hole in the wall teishokuya or izakaya. Go to a temple, stand in the quiet. Take lots of walks. Go to shibuya and watch people.
  • Join the Yakuza.
  • edited January 2011
    Join the Yakuza.
    Best to find a friend in the Japanese Diet first.

Working for yakuza in some fashion (They run all sorts of rackets.) wouldn't be too hard but joining proper would be.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Join the Yakuza.
    You'd end up with some bitchin' tattoos.
  • Join the Yakuza.
    Only if this ends with the opportunity to punch a tiger. In the face.
  • Only if this ends with the opportunity to punch a tiger. In the face.
    You'd probably want it to involve, not end with that.
  • When you punch a tiger in the face you don't expect it to just stand there and take it, do you? :-p
  • We will have to test this. It shouldn't be hard to lay my hands on a tiger.
  • Trying to avoid having to strike any large cats during my trip.

As it stands I should have 2 days during the trip that aren't dominated by work. I'll spend one pretty much wandering downtown Tokyo, getting lost, and finding my way back before the trains shut down. Second day I'll spend seeing old stuff. I'm staying southwest outside of Tokyo close to Kamakura and Odawara where there's plenty of temples and a castle to see.
  • Find street racers, admire their cars.
  • Unforuntaely I have zero appreciation for the automobile as something to admire. It should have four wheels and get me where I'm going while being reliable and not using ridiculous amounts of gas.
  • I'm staying southwest outside of Tokyo close to Kamakura and Odawara where there's plenty of temples and a castle to see.
    I went to Odawara-jou, the castle, once. If I remember, pickled plums there are a famous food, and they were really good.
  • Get some fuckin' takoyaki.
  • Get some fuckin' takoyaki.
    Totally. Or go to a little mom and pop Okonomiyaki joint and grill yourself some savory pancakes.
  • Get some fuckin' gyudon also.
  • edited January 2011
    I'm staying southwest outside of Tokyo close to Kamakura and Odawara where there's plenty of temples and a castle to see.
    I went to Odawara-jou, the castle, once. If I remember, pickled plums there are a famous food, and they were really good.
    Had the day off of work on Tuesday so I did take the train to Odawara. The area was beautiful! Doesn't look like I'll be getting to Kamakura though as I haven't enough wide-open blocks of exploration time.

I will have to look up these food suggestions before I leave. I've got a half day of work left then leaving early Saturday. Despite my co-worker's request to eat at Outback Steakhouse every night, I have managed to eat a ton of Japanese food (edit: to be more specific, after the first night he's been eating there alone). Let's just get this out there, I'm not very cultured and know practically nothing about Japanese food beyond the stereotypical American "hibachi and sushi" restaurants. That being said I have zero fear of trying new stuff and I am really digging some of the unfamiliar-looking things I've consumed. If only I knew what they were so I could ask for them again back home!

There was one vegetable that tasted very much like sweet potato that I loved. I had it on the side of one dish in cooked slices, and another time in a bento box from the grocery store where it was lightly battered and fried. Also, I know it's not Japanese food, but fuckin' crepes, man. America needs to get on this. Put a crepes stand in every shopping mall. Some of the restaurants do have english names on their menus, which helped me find out that I love katsudon, but mostly it's been a lot of places with not a single word of english to identify stuff by. This has led to a lot of pointing.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Someone who knows Japanese teach him how to say "give me the local specialty."
  • Koko no meibutsu wa nan desu ka?
    Meibutsu is local specialty, so if you want to ask about it, use that word.
    Despite my co-worker's request to eat at Outback Steakhouse every night
    This drives me SO NUTS! Why do people do this? I can't see myself doing this in any country. They are wuss babies, and also, it is so weird. My dad's co workers always wanted to go to Fudruckers in Yokohama, but my dad would go off on his own and use his basic Japanese to order good food.

Also, 7 days is WAY TO SHORT.
  • Also, I know it's not Japanese food, but fuckin' crepes, man. America needs to get on this. Put a crepes stand in every shopping mall. Some of the restaurants do have english names on their menus, which helped me find out that I love katsudon, but mostly it's been a lot of places with not a single word of english to identify stuff by. This has led to a lot of pointing.
    Shit, I was just walking past a joint in the Fortitude valley train station which was a japanese style crepe joint, and my response totaled out to "There's japanese style crepes?"
  • Japan loves french cuisine.

And mayonnaise.
  • Koko no meibutsu wa nan desu ka?
    Meibutsu is local specialty, so if you want to ask about it, use that word.
    Despite my co-worker's request to eat at Outback Steakhouse every night
    This drives me SO NUTS! Why do people do this? I can't see myself doing this in any country. They are wuss babies, and also, it is so weird. My dad's co workers always wanted to go to Fudruckers in Yokohama, but my dad would go off on his own and use his basic Japanese to order good food.

Also, 7 days is WAY TO SHORT.
    Thanks for the help! I'll give it a try.

The lame coworkers are an epidemic. When traveling to St. Louis and eating at the famous local steakhouse, they all cheaped out and ordered fucking beef tips. I had to step up and order the $60 gentleman's cut of prime rib. WORTH IT and made them jealous.

I would normally agree that seven days is too short, but after a week in Guam then this, I am worn out! Maybe I'd have more drive if I had my wife or some friends here as well. Who knows maybe I will wind up returning one day.
  • Okonomiyaki! Get Okonomiyaki!

I want it so badly but I can't find a place in the US that does it.
  • edited January 2011
    Okonomiyaki! Get Okonomiyaki!

I want it so badly but I can't find a place in the US that does it.
    It's no okonomiyaki, but a kick-ass breakfast waffle none the less:

Edit: Mitsuwa Marketplace in NJ has an okonomiyaki fair once or twice a year. If you're ever up in the NYC check their calendar.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Found Kit-Kat heaven in a gift shop at the airport. Came home with the following flavors:

- Cheese
    - Strawberry
    - Strawberry Cheesecake
    - Orange
    - Sweet Potato
    - Wasabi
    - Soy Sauce
    - Green Tea
    - Green Tea w/ Sakura
    - Cola
    - Lemon Lime Cola

I went on a souvenir buying craze cause I went into the airport with almost $100 in leftover Yen and didn't feel like exchanging it. These will all be sliced up and have toothpicks put in them for a giant Kit-Kat tasting at my superbowl party next week. In particular though I bought like 15 packs of the green tea flavor because I've heard people on here rave about them before, and will be bringing a bunch to PAX East to share with forumers.
  • Green Tea
    This is indeed my favorite. My dad always brings a pack back for my mom.