This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

MANGA!

edited September 2006 in Everything Else
Hasn't been a Manga thread in bit. So what are you reading?

My list:
Galaxy Angel
R.O.D. (Vol 4 just came out)
Ouran High School Host Club
Negima
Hellsing
Fruits Basket
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Bleach (by download only)
Berzerk (by download only)

DeathNote is on it's way from Amazon. So what great manga am I missing? I have some more but they are series that have either ended, no more have come out, or just aren't worth it.

Comments

• Lets see, right now I'm following:
    Higurashi no Naka Koru ni by download
    Naruto by download
    Lunar Legend Tsukihime by buying them
    and I'm planning on rereading Kaze no Tani no Nausicaa as soon as my friend returns it.
  • Death Note & Priest. Fulfilling my quota for insightful, Machiavellian thinking and awesome gore and violence at the same time.
  • Naruto
    Bleach
    One Piece
    Fairy Tail
    Mai Otome
    Zombie Powder

I'm tempted to read RoD and Death Note. Maybe next anime con I go to I'll pick them up.
  • edited September 2006
    Bleach (purchase/download)
    Yotsuba (purchase)
    Fruits Basket (purchase/borrow)
    Death Note (download— although I've mostly given up on it)
    Eyeshield 21 (download— it's a horrible guilty pleasure)
    Scott Pilgrim (purchase— does this count as manga?)

Kiey: has Zombie Powder been released in the states? I'd love to pick it up.
    Post edited by Aido on
  • This is a list of all the manga I'm buying at the present time. I'm not including manga that I've completed or manga that I've decided not to buy anymore.

Death Note
    Fullmetal Alchemist
    Initial D
    Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad
    Crying Freeman
    Ray
    Yotsuba&!
    Trigun Maximum
    Buddha
    Phoenix
  • Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad (I'm in volume 27 for the Japanese version.)
    Megatokyo (well I got the books for free.)
    DearS
  • Yes they finnaly released Zombie Powder here, only volume 1 so far. I've read the whole thing on my computer, but its so great that I had to buy it. Easier to lend out that way.
  • What's zombie powder about?
  • I'm a big fan of XXX Holic and Nana these days. I think Tarot Cafe is my guilty pleasure, its acctualy Korean though and therefore Manhwa, any one else a Manhwa fan?
  • Zombie Powder: [from ANN]
    They say that if you find all twelve rings of the dead, you can obtain the power of imortailty for the living, or bring back someone from the dead. People who search for the rings are called Powder Hunters, and Gamma is one of them, searching for the power of imortality.

[From Amazon]
    Gamma Akutabi is a master criminal ("class S-zero") with a chainsaw sword and a metal arm that allows him to catch bullets. He's also a Powder Hunter, which means he's chasing after the Rings of the Dead. If he finds 12 of them, he can make zombie powder, which resurrects the dead and grants the living immortality. He's joined in his quest by his partner, gun-toting, suit-wearing CT Smith, and John Elwood Shepherd, a young knife-thrower turned pickpocket who wants to resurrect his dead sister. The series originally appeared in the Japanese magazine Shonen Jump, but was canceled before it could be completed. If these first chapters are any indication, it's not hard to figure out why. Written and drawn by Kubo (Bleach!), the promising setup is little more than an excuse for a series of mindless action scenes. Kube's art begins by doing some intriguing things with grayscale and shading, but quickly devolves into generic action sequences that sacrifice clear storytelling for dramatic, anatomically impossible poses. Combined with the already chaotic plot, the overall effect is like reading a hyperactive cartoonist's book after his Ritalin has run out.

Trivia to explain what happened to it:
    Zombie Powder began as Kubo Taito's first major series in Weekly Shounen Jump #34 of 1999. It enjoyed a sort of cult-popularity, however it ended young in Jump #11 of 2000. There are 4 volumes total. This manga was meant to be longer than the four volumes it is but for some reason Shounen Jump stopped the production of this series, even when Kubo Taito had already planned more chapters and the number of fans grew day after day, leaving this series incomplete, without a proper ending.
  • I'm a big fan of XXX Holic and Nana these days. I think Tarot Cafe is my guilty pleasure, its acctualy Korean though and therefore Manhwa, any one else a Manhwa fan?
    Mahnwa, manga or comics makes no difference to me. Comics can be good no matter what country they come from. Japan just happens to make a lot more good ones than some other countries.
  • Mahnwa, manga or comics makes no difference to me. Comics can be good no matter what country they come from. Japan just happens to make a lot more good ones than some other countries.
    Amen
  • They are all good, but each country puts its mark on whatever it produces and I like to pay attention to both the big country-comic differences (Us vs. japan) and the more subtle ones (Japan vs. Korean). Though I am *far* from an expert. :)
  • I was reading Death Note back when it was being scanslated...now that the official releases are catching up to where that left off, I need to start paying attention to it again.

I've been reading Shadow Star as it appears in volume form, but this is a slow process.
  • Oh, man. If you guys arn't reading Monster, you're really missing out.
  • The Monster anime was really unimpressive, and I gave up on it after 6 or so episodes. Is the manga better or different?
  • I have the first volume of monster. It was pretty good, but it feels like it starts to go down a different path. I'll check out volume 2 next time I'm in a store to see if it's worth buying. The other manga written by the same guy, 20th Century Boys, is one that I want desperately. However, it won't be put out in English until Monster is done being put out in English. Oh cruel fate.
  • Sadly, all I'm reading now is Here is Greenwood, and even that is sporadic. I'm spending most of my time with GeekNights related projects, gaming, and enjoyment of the good weather before winter comes. I imagine once it's cold outside, I'll have my own personal manga explosion.
  • I've been reading Shadow Star as it appears in volume form, but this is a slow process.
    Yeah, same here though its been a while since I bought one. They sure left a lot out in the anime didn't they?
  • Monster is amazing (based on the first three volumes I read).
  • edited September 2006
    The Monster anime is very faithful to the manga. The only reason the manga is better, I'd say, is pacing. The anime was paced WAY TOO FRIKIN FAST! Here's an example: The first two episodes on the anime = The whole first volume of the manga. But, if you didn't like the anime, chances are that you won't like the manga. But I recommend borrowing Scott's copy and giving the series another shot.

In an un-Rym-specific comment, a reminder that the first volume of both Yakitate!! Japan and Welcome to the NHK have been released. If you missed 'em on scanlation, pick them up.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Great. Another series to buy. Like I needed any more of those
  • Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
    Inukami!
    Welcome to the NHK, which I am buying immediately when it gets onto the shelves.
  • Lately I've been reading Death Note and I just finished reading the last volume of the Battle Royale manga.
  • Monster
    20th century boys (yeah I am downloading it, and i will buy it afterwards , is good to have hard copies)
    Pluto
    Ouran high school host club
    I''s
    Battle Angel Alita
    Battle Angel Alita - Last Order
    One Piece
    Tenjo Tenge
    Ichigo 100%
    Evangelion (call me crazy but this manga is gonna go Forever and it will have the "real " end of Eva :P )
  • I've seen the first episode of the Welcome to the NHK anime (thanks Rym and Scott :/ ) — is it anything like the manga? That show was weird.
  • I think welcome to the NHK is a little too perverted for my tastes.
  • From what I've heard they toned down the manga a bit to put it on TV.
  • I'm running out of shelves here :/

The to-read pile:
  • I'm running out of shelves here :/
    Jesus Christ, man! That seems like one of the problems with manga -- how it inevitably ends up taking up all your space. I only really started buying (emphasis: buying) manga a few months ago, and I've already got like 50 books or something. Are you going to read all of that again? Ever consider just selling it?