This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

MANGA!

Comments

• Also, I think I'm one of the only females out there who doesn't like Ouran for the pretty boys, but instead for the comedy.
    That's the reason I like it too
    I'm not even finished with the first volume of Ouran, and I whole heartedly agree with the both of you. The comedy is great. The overreactions from Tamaki are great.

I'm also done with volumes 1 & 2 of Nana. I remember watching the first anime episode, but for some reason I just didn't care to finish it. In general, I really don't like watching anime as much as I enjoy reading manga, however I do plan on watching Nana & Ouran when I get caught up with all the manga.

Now the only dilemma I have is which manga do I want to finish buying first. Since Borders has that buy 4 get 1 free thing going on, my best bet is to just buy both a few volumes at a time. I'm just happy I have new manga to read. Especially with Ouran because it replaces Hana Kimi in a way. ^_^
  • Dammit, my list of manga I find interesting but nobody is publishing, sometimes even nobody is scanlating, just keeps on growing and I get stuff in two languages already. Now I even started to grab Raws in hope that I'll be able to read them once I get better with the japanese.

Anyways, list time:
    Sketchbook
    Lucky Star
    Go! Southern Ice Hockey Club
    Katteni Kaizo
    Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (thank god somebody licensed it, now I only have to wait another 12 months to catch up with the Scanlators)
    Bamboo Blade
    and to certain extent Black Lagoon.

It also puzzles me that no german publisher has picked up Eyeshield 21 or Hayate the Combat Butler yet. Katteni Kaizo and the Hockey Club are both by Koji Kumeta, creator of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Unfortunately I doubt that either will be ever released unless SZS will become a smash hit. GSIHC is a bit too old and his drawings aren't very good at the beginning although they get better, and Katteni Kaizo has a bit too many japanese Pop Culture references, but it is freaking hilarious. Maybe I'll be able to make some sense of the Raws in a year or two.
  • Right now, I'm reading JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Then, I might try Elfen Lied, which I've been told progresses something like this:
    blood
    blood
    blood
    blood
    tits
    blood
    blood
    blood
    tits
    tits
    blood.
  • Also known as "Sex and Violence down the Mine."

(Old Peter Cook Routine)
  • Right now, I'm reading JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Then, I might try Elfen Lied, which I've been told progresses something like this:
    blood
    blood
    blood
    blood
    tits
    blood
    blood
    blood
    tits
    tits
    blood.
    Wrong.
  • Yeah, he missed a couple of bloods.
  • edited July 2008
    Yeah, he missed a couple of bloods.
    This kind of makes me mad. Sure, it is very easy to say that Elfen Lied is all about blood and "tits", but at least admit that there is a story behind it. I found the show to be entertaining, though I didn't enjoy the gore nor did I really like the "retarded Lucy". But I found the history of, again, "Lucy" interesting.
    I just finished watching Escaflowne today. That show could also be distilled into:

death
    death
    "its all my fault"
    death
    death
    "its all my fault"
    death
    death
    "its all my fault"

^_~ Though I must admit its much easier to do with Elfen Lied.
    Post edited by kiwi_bird on
  • edited July 2008

death
    crushes
    death
    "its all my fault"
    death
    crushes
    death
    "its all my fault"
    death
    crushes
    death
    "its all my fault"
    crushes
    Fix'd! But seriously that's not all there's to it to Escaflowne!
    Post edited by Viga on
  • death
    crushes
    death
    "its all my fault"
    death
    crushes
    death
    "its all my fault"
    death
    crushes
    death
    "its all my fault"
    crushes
    Fix'd! But seriously that's not all there's to it to Escaflowne!
    You know you just damaged my willingness to one day watch Escaflowne, do you?
  • After I listened to Scryms episode on Escaflowne I was really interested in the show. After seeing all of Escaflowne except the movie I don't think its that great of an Anime. Personal taste I guess...
  • edited July 2008
    You know you just damaged my willingness to one day watch Escaflowne, do you?
    No! Watch it! WATCH IT NOW! I was unwilling to watch it because I am not a fan of anything that involves giant robots battling, but it was so worth it. WATCH IT!
    After I listened to Scryms episode on Escaflowne I was really interested in the show. After seeing all of Escaflowne except the movie I don't think its that great of an Anime. Personal taste I guess...
    What anime do you like/consider worthwhile?
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited July 2008
    No! Watch it! WATCH IT NOW! I was unwilling to watch it because I am not a fan of anything that involves giant robots battling, but it was so worth it. WATCH IT!
    I agree. Also I will point out they have been mentioning that Scott has been watching the series lately so I am guessing next Wednesday's podcast will be their final thoughts podcast about Escaflowne! SQUEE!
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • After I listened to Scryms episode on Escaflowne I was really interested in the show. After seeing all of Escaflowne except the movie I don't think its that great of an Anime. Personal taste I guess...
    What anime do you like/consider worthwhile?
    Death Note, Mononoke, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Spice and Wolf, Voices of a Distant Star - to name a few. Just the whole concept of "look, I'm so lucky" didn't really appeal to me.
  • Death Note, Mononoke, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Spice and Wolf, Voices of a Distant Star
    Good Choices. I especially love Mononoke and Tokikake.
    MMMM. Iron Wok Jan... Or as I like to call it, "Asshole wins by Cooking"
  • Mononoke
    Mononoke-hime, or the one with the medicine seller?
  • Hime. I haven't see the noitaminA one.
  • What anime do you like/consider worthwhile?
    Why, goddammit why, do all of you people here question what people like when they happen to simply dislike one or two shows that other people like?

Christ guys.
  • Why, goddammit why, do all of you people here question what people like when they happen to simply dislike one or two shows that other people like?
    Why not? It's a valid question. I would think to possibly to see what genre of anime that person to prefers to get an understanding of why they don't like the anime they like.
  • I am not a fan of anything that involves giant robots battling
    I'm the same...
    Why, goddammit why, do all of you people here question what people like when they happen to simply dislike one or two shows that other people like?
    Perhaps they wish to know how similar their tastes are compared to the person who says to not like show X that the asking person likes. Case in point, Mrs. MacRoss not being a huge fan of giant robots, like me, has somewhat patched the desire to watch Escaflowne.

It's still in worse shape than before though. *glare*
  • edited July 2008
    because I am not a fan of anything that involves giant robots battling
    >>Posted By: Mrs. MacRoss.
    >>Macross
    Lol wut?
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • because I am not a fan of anything that involves giant robots battling
    >>Posted By: Mrs. MacRoss.
    >>Macross
    Lol wut?
    Yeah, it is true. The MacRosses do not like Macross.
  • Yeah, it is true. The MacRosses do not like Macross.
    Have you ever actually watched the original MacRoss for reals?
  • edited July 2008
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • This isn't incredibly related, but I didn't want to start a new thread just for this question: So I was just thinking -- these manga anthology magazines they have in Japan are enormous. I understand that they sell them at train stations and whatnot. So, say the new issue of Weekly Young Popular Manga Anthology Burst! is out, and say, 1000 people are going to come through this train station, and want a copy of that. And there are, I don't know, 30 other magazines just the same. Where do they PUT all of those things? I may have some misconceptions or misunderstandings, but I'm just curious how they deal with the demand for manga anthologies when they require so much physical space. Can anyone who's been there satisfy my curiosity?
  • edited August 2008
    I just wanted to say that I read Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms and it was incredible. You should probably read it.
    Post edited by rhinocero on
  • Where do they PUT all of those things? I may have some misconceptions or misunderstandings, but I'm just curious how they deal with the demand for manga anthologies when they require so much physical space. Can anyone who's been there satisfy my curiosity?
    They recycle them. Only stupid american comic collectors are obsessed with keeping these things around. In Japan, a manga anthology is like a newspaper. It's a disposable medium. They put them in recycling bins, and then they use the paper to print next weeks books. This is why the paper and ink are so incredibly cheap, and so incredibly low quality.
  • edited August 2008
    They recycle them.
    Thanks, but I was asking about where they keep them at the newsstand before they sell them. I don't think I was clear enough. In retrospect, it's a pretty trivial question, and I'm sure if I knew what Japanese newsstands looked like, it would make sense. I'm just imagining a back room filled with pallets of Weekly Jump.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • Google images search.
    Remember, they don't need that many newsstand copies of any one book because people have subscriptions.
  • Hm. Well, thank you very much. That's enlightening.