This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

MANGA!

Comments

• Miyuki chan in Wonderland by CLAMP. Anyone read it? WTF, CLAMP!?
  • Current reading list from the shoujo corner:
    Cantarella
    Bride of the Water God
    One Thousand and One Nights (Well, provided the company that bought out Ice Kunion starts republishing it =/)

Laura, I'm definitely gonna have to raid your manga the next time I'm down at your house. And Emily, Lega no 13 looks like it would totally be up my alley. Ahhh, I'm so sad it's not in English!
  • edited August 2008
    About a month ago I was wondering why nobody is releasing Bamboo Blade. What I didn't know back then was that the series was already licensed by Yen Press, just like a series I recently got into, Soul Eater (I'm up to episode 15 and so far I think this is a shonen fighting show how Scrym think a shonen fighting show should be, fancy that). That's all well but Yen Press decided to put both series into their new monthly anthology, Yen Plus, that started in July. Three more manga series and four manhwa round out the anthology which according to them should average about 450 pages which in turn should mean that none of the series will get more than 3 chapters in per month.

I've seen this before with a german anthology called Banzai! which went under a few years back: The american anthology will hold back the release schedule for the bound volumes. Case in point: Banzai had Naruto in it which was it's main selling point and was at the time about 25 volumes into the series in japan. When Banzai stopped publication, the publisher pumped out a volume of Naruto every single month for the next year and a half, where before they only cobbled together a volume every three to four months because the anthology only feature two or three chapters.

Bamboo Blade is up 8 volumes in japan and Soul Eater 12. Bound volumes for either series on Yen Press' release schedule up to April 2009: 0
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Just read the first chapter of Bakuman (the new title from the writer/artist team who did Death Note), and found it suprisingly sweet, sincere, and funny. The end of the chapter was a little over-the-top, but I still loved it. <3 I'm looking forward to seeing where they go with this.

Also, I love that the characters talked about Death Note the manga, as well as a couple other real Shounen Jump titles. XD
  • I'm liking Bakuman as well, but I also sort of love any manga/anime that's about making manga/doujinshi. I'm sort of a sucker for them, but I'm definitely interested to see how this goes as we get more of it.
  • edited August 2008
    I'm quiet surprised that no one here is reading Kodomo no Jikan (banned in the U.S.A. under the name nymphet).
    Also:
    Nana
    FullMetal Alchemist
    Eureka 7
    And the all time great Kare Kano (oh Arima, you should have been in a homo erotic relationship with Hideaki)
    Post edited by sibnova on
  • I can never really get into a manga, mainly because as a poor student I have just about no disposable income. However, having finally made some money, I've been able to sink some of it into some stuff that I've been wanting to read.

Purchased stuff:
    Golgo 13
    Apollo's Song
    Parasyte

Scanlations:
    DANCE! Kremlin Palace (The only Shintaro Kago work I am willing to look at...)

Trying to find:
    Cromartie High School (No luck at three different Borders/B&Ns, nor the local hipster book store, which, despite lacking the Cromartie action I was looking for, did have some volumes of Dororo with absolutely beautiful bindings. I'm kinda regretting not buying those.)
  • I'm quiet surprised that no one here is reading Kodomo no Jikan (banned in the U.S.A. under the name nymphet)
    That's because no one here is a creepy pedophile. The rest of your choices look good, but Nymphet? NYMPHET?! NAJICA?!?! DESERT PUNK?!?!
  • Yeah Nymphet crappy name. I would say it's more reverse pedophilia than pedophilia, but I enjoy it none the less.
  • As long as you're not enjoying it as a creepy pedophile (and don't kid yourself: it was written to appeal to creepy pedophiles), have at 'er. Just don't be surprised if people give you really weird looks. Like this: D:<
  • hmm lets see...

Baki - Son Of Ogre Chapter
    Kekkaishi
    Bitter Virgin
    Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (will start it by the end of this week)
    History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
    Ubel Blatt
    Black Lagoon
    Samurai Usagi
    Akumetsu
    Air Gear
    Eyeshield 21
    One Piece
    Deadman Wonderland
    Player Kill
    Team Medical Dragon
    Fairy Tail

sadly non of those is being sold in my country T_T
  • Nymphet itself may be reverse pedophilia, but it is pretty much designed to appeal to pedophiles. Almost inarguably.
  • sadly non of those is being sold in my country T_T
    Depending on where you are from, you might check amazon if you can order english language manga through them. At least in Austria and germany that is possible.
  • I am a manga newbie. I am currently reading Berserk and have started 20th Century Boys. Any other suggestions of manga like 20thCB?
  • Any other suggestions of manga like 20thCB?
    Everything else written by Naoiki Urasawa. Look at the authors, and you will easily figure out what to read.
  • Get backers (I love this damn anime so much. It was my first and it still is enjoyable)
    still hoping to finish off 'saiyuki'
    and need volume 2 of 'Cromarte High' so I can read my vol 3-8
  • and need volume 2 of 'Cromarte High' so I can read my vol 3-8
    Why? The series is very episode. You can practically read any chapter completely out of order.
  • edited August 2008
    I am a manga newbie. I am currently reading Berserk and have started 20th Century Boys. Any other suggestions of manga like 20thCB?
    Not sure about 20th Century Boys, but if you like Berserk, you might want to try Claymore. A lot of people call it "the female Berserk," mainly due to the gore level, the dark tone, and the low-magic, gritty fantasy setting. Claymore is probably a tad more of a shounen title, at least later on, but I think it's probably the best shounen title out there right now. Also, the artwork for Claymore is absolutely stunning sometimes, especially when the artist draws the more complex monsters.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • If you like the 20th Century Boys, I highly recommend Monster which is also by Naoki Urasawa.
  • edited October 2008
    Currently reading Deadman Wonderland on a recommendation from a friend. The premise is pretty original, the design work is great, and the main characters are are fairly likeable. The series seems to be a mix of grotesque horror manga, mystery, and the standard "shounen series with a bajillion characters each with his/her own SOOPER SPESHUL POWER OMG." It's only the last element that I have issue with so far; the first two elements are very well executed, especially the gory parts. And the shounen powers themselves, while annoying in the way I find all such shounen powers annoying, are always at least aesthetically interesting.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • edited March 2009
    I've been wanting ot find new shojo manga to read, but I can't seem to find any that appeal to me. However, over the weekend, I came across Otomen.
    Asuka Masamune is a guy who loves girly things—sewing, knitting, making cute stuffed animals and reading shojo comics. But in a world where boys are expected to act manly, Asuka must hide his beloved hobbies and play the part of a masculine jock instead. Ryo Miyakozuka, on the other hand, is a girl who can't sew or bake a cake to save her life. Asuka finds himself drawn to Ryo, but she likes only the manliest of men! Can Asuka ever show his true self to anyone, much less to the girl that he's falling for?
    I'm currently half way through volume 1, and I have to say that I'm very glad that I picked this one up. It's hilarious seeing Asuka going through his inner turmoil of trying not reveal he likes girly things. It reminds me of Nakatsu from Hana Kimi. For some reason I enjoy manga that involves cross dressing or guys/girls acting or having characteristics of the opposite sex.

There is also another main character: Jun Tachibana who seems to be pulling a few strings to add to the hilarity.

I look forward to buying future volumes as they come out. Too bad volume 1 was recently released. Time to play the waiting game.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited March 2009
    Rosario + Vampire (my guilty pleasure, one of my favorite manga and anime)
    Highschool of the Dead (in scanslations)

I started to read Fate/Stay Night but I ended up not wanting to. I'd rather just watch the anime, and I know I won't be for a while.

However, I'm watching El: Hazard The Magnificent World 2 and I love it.
    Post edited by Loganator456 on
  • that involves cross dressing
    Why do you do this to me?! When I do not have the appropriate image response at hand! You're evil I say! You're an evil monster that... make really awesome... geeky... knitting things for others... RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWR!
  • I'm into Otaku no Musume San and NANA for the moment.
  • NANA for the moment.
    I'm am also still reading NANA. Volume 15 recently came out, and it was quite sad. I have the anime to still watch, but I enjoy the manga more. I guess it's because I can read the manga whenever and wherever I want.

I'm also reading Death Note.
    Why do you do this to me?! When I do not have the appropriate image response at hand! You're evil I say! You're an evil monster that... make really awesome... geeky... knitting things for others... RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWR!
    I don't think I would want to see any image from you anymore! :P
  • I don't think I would want to see any image from you anymore! :P
    It's just a chart of crossdressers. >_>
  • No one's criticizing me for liking Rosario + Vampire yet? Wow.
  • I started reading the Sayonara, Zetsubou Sensei manga after finishing the anime. They are both quite... How do I put this, fucked up.
  • I started reading the Sayonara, Zetsubou Sensei manga after finishing the anime. They are both quite... How do I put this, fucked up.
    They are deliciously clinically insane.
    They are deliciously clinically insane.
    Kafuka Fuura. That's all I have to say.