This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

MANGA!

Comments

• edited July 2010
    I got an original printing of the Studio Proteus translation (the flipped one) of Masamune Shirow's Orion for $9 just a few minutes ago.

This is what happens when Masamune Shirow eats a pound of shrooms, wanders around sacred sites all day, and then goes home to watch Blade Runner. It is one awesome clusterfuck of ideas.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Reading through the brutally grotesque and dark comedies. SAMURA Hiroaki's Bradherley's Coach and Brute love. Most of MARUO Suehiro and Shintaro Kago's stuff. Korokoro Soushi is absurdly hilarious.
  • edited August 2010
    Been reading at a pretty steady rate recently, been reading a chapter of this, a volume of that:

Position - It's by Ashinano Hitoshi, the Yokohama Shopping Log guy. Surreal and supernatural.
    Dr. Kishiwada's Scientific Affection - Odd but funny story about a mad scientist. Funny and strange.
    King of Thorns - Going to pick this back up, if I can remember what's going on.
    Binbou shimai Monogatari - Heartwarming story about two very poor girls getting by. Moe vibe is, for now, within safe levels.
    Osen - Fucking brilliant.

Trying to remember the name of a manga, set in the 1800s where a Japanese girl goes to live in a shop in france that makes signs. Saw it a while ago.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited August 2010
    Dr. Kishiwada's Scientific Affection - Odd but funny story about a mad scientist. Funny and strange.

P.s - WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST READ.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Five Star Stories is Epic in every single way. I wish it wasn't out of print, but luckily the guy at Archive Scans did full color scans of every english book. I'll just have to download and archive the scanlations for volumes 11-25.
  • Man, fuck Narutaru. I'm only 8 chapters in, and this isn't even entertainingly bleak and depressing. It's like if the creator of Pokemon snorted nutmeg, read Camus, and had a horrific nihilistic breakdown. I am done with this series. I'll just spoil it on TV Tropes.
  • WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU READING NARUTARU?! You could watch the anime. Which at least has a family friendly opener.
  • WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU READING NARUTARU?! You could watch the anime. Which at least has a family friendly opener.
    Well, TV Tropes made it sound like one of those "Oh mans, this looks cute, but then it gets really fucked up," and usually I'm down with that (I really like Franken Fran). I stopped before it got fucked up (which, for a Kitoh series, is pretty early; I got to maybe the end of Chapter 8), mainly because the entire thing felt amazingly uncomfortable, and not in a good way. Then, I read about some of the thing which happen later, and that pretty much sealed its fate.
  • Yeah, I've only seen the anime. Don't think I'll touch the manga with a ten foot pole any time soon.
  • Man,fuckNarutaru. I'm only 8 chapters in, and this isn't even entertainingly bleak and depressing. It's like if the creator of Pokemon snorted nutmeg, read Camus, and had a horrific nihilistic breakdown. I am done with this series. I'll just spoil it on TV Tropes.
    I hear it's got some pretty squicky child nudity. Also rape.
  • I'm really really enjoying Jo Jo Bizarre Adventure (Manga). The first "fighting" manga to get it right. The Main character doesn't do everything and the secondary characters pull their weight ^_^
  • edited October 2010
    A couple weeks ago I was at a Borders and not giving to much thought picked up a rather large manga book called Solanin. Anybody read it? I like what I had read of it. It gets a bit melodramatic a one point. In that one of the characters does something very stupid. I'm going to have to buy it to find out what happens but I'm still rather annoyed at the direction the manga creator took with it.

edit: I'm not sure why I wrote doesn't when I meant does.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • a rather large manga book called Solanin. Anybody read it
    I have it, but I've only read the first chapter or so. I do that a lot with stuff that doesn't grab me right away. I guess maybe I shouldn't bother going back to it?

The art sure is pretty.
  • Got Pokemon Adventures Vol 4-6 today at Borders, along with Otomen vol. 7, & Chi's Sweet Home Vol. 1! Even though Chi's Sweet Home is $14, it's all in color and all kinds of cuteness. I still used my 40% off coupon on it.

Oh yeah and Amulet Vol. 3! Yay!
  • at Borders
    You should go with InStockTrades and save money!
  • You should go with InStockTrades and save money!
    Ooh, they have Neko Ramen on the front page. Possibly. We were at Borders and it was convenient at the time. Plus I have an additional 10% discount from my membership.
  • Neko Ramen
    LINDA LINDA! LINDA LINDA LINDAAA!!
  • Solanin. The story of a girl, a band, and life on the cusp of adulthood.
  • A couple weeks ago I was at a Borders and not giving to much thought picked up a rather large manga book called Solanin. Anybody read it? I like what I had read of it. It gets a bit melodramatic a one point. In that one of the characters doesn't something very stupid. I'm going to have to buy it to find out what happens but I'm still rather annoyed at the direction the manga creator took with it.
    This is actually one of my favorite mangas...

.///.
  • Solanin. The story of a girl, a band, and life on the cusp of adulthood.
    I've seen that all the time at Barnes & Noble, and the art style always gets my attention every time. How is it, is it worth reading?
  • I just read it and I'd say it definitely is. I liked it a lot.
  • I got more than half way through it when I was at Borders. I really need to pick up a copy of Solanin. I think it would make a good anime also.
  • I bought and read it moths ago. For more Inio Asano stuff I recommend What a Wonderful World. It's made of shorts that tie into each other like the movie 20 bucks or The Simpsons episode 22 Short Films About Springfield. All the stories range from slice of life to weird to comedic. It's all in a light hearted yet dishearted tone. I love it!
  • Neko Ramen is great. Short 4 panel comics about a cat and his ramen shop. Reminds me of Azumanga Daioh. I know there is a flash animation for it, but have yet to check it out.

The manga is silly and has a cat. It also made me crave ramen. I think reading manga about Japanese food is a dangerous thing. It's also probably why I haven't read Oishinbo yet.

Also the manga has a silly flip page animation on the corner of the pages. Good times.
  • The manga is silly and has a cat.
    SOLD!
  • edited October 2010
    Genshiken is back!

New chapters are coming out under the title "Genshiken Nidaime". Perhaps some of it may be confusing if you stopped with the end of volume 9 when Sasahara, Kousaka and Kasukabe graduated. There is a special chapter which was released in a DVD box set and later in an issue of Afternoon, so perhaps you should read that first as there are some big developments in there. If you have read that, here's the new chapter.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Genshiken is back!
    I think my mind exploded.
  • I think my mind exploded.
    Something else of mine just exploded.
  • Genshiken is back!
    I think my mind exploded.
    +1!
  • It is hilarious because of all the wrong reasons.
    I guess I should be happy that I am not that hard core anymore. But, I still feel nostalgic :(