This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Short Story First Lines

edited January 2011 in Forum Game
Inspired by 4chan's /lit/, I thought of this game. Basically, the name of this game is what you do. You write the first line of a story, and just the first line. This isn't like one-line-at-a-time story games. You ONLY write the first line of the story.

First, the one that inspired 4chan, by Hemingway: "For Sale: Baby Shoes, Never Worn"

And mine: "The snow crunched under his feet as the last man on Earth went to the store."

Comments

• "Before she came along, my days boiled down to three things; greasy chinese, sleeping 'till noon, and long, restless nights."
  • A quick dump from the 4chan thread:

"I was alive once, but that was long ago."
    ""But what do I have to give?" I asked the man, and he replied "Everything.""
    "To them she was blind, but as she stumbled through the labyrinth of that city, blood running down her thighs, she realized she saw more than they ever would."
    "There were three things that had survived that day; the cockroaches, the Twinkies and us."
    "The bookstore's new clerk stood, confused, between the fiction and the non-fiction section, a copy of the bible in his hand."
  • "Tomorrow" always seemed like this impenetrable barrier, a place that only existed in theory, leaving me with an endless series of "todays".
  • "It all began when I was compiling code this one time."
  • "My story, the greatest story ever told, started with a kiss and a punch in the face"
  • "As my life flashed before my eyes I began to realize how little I had accomplished."
  • "On the day they were going to kill him, Santiago Nasar got up at 5:30 am to wait for the boat the bishop was coming on."
  • "Do you realize how hard it is to get bloodstains out of a suede couch?" I yelled.
  • "When I awoke, I found myself in downtown Tokyo; I fell asleep in Wisconsin."
  • I guess mine isn't a short story, it's a novella.
  • "I realized that by the time I killed my father, it was already too late."
  • "Nothing interesting happens in this story."
  • "One day I was sitting around flipping a coin to see if it would ever give me a result other than heads or tales when my water bottle exploded in a burst of flame, killing me."
  • edited January 2011
    "Time crawled at a snails pace, whilst Josh browsed a forum for geeks."
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • "What we are about to do is very specifically legal."
  • While it was easily the worst thing he ever did to another human being and his career was probably over, the catharsis was so immensely gratifying that he strolled back to his apartment, ignoring the rain, in an afterglow almost post-coital.
  • edited February 2011
    This is a tale of something that actually happened.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • "It was eight at night, my wife was dead and I had been sober for almost twelve days; one of those was about to change."
  • "As Rym spooned Scott, he whispered into his ears "Lets hope the forum never finds out.""
  • edited February 2011
    "As Rym spooned Scott, he whispered into his ears "Lets hope the forum never finds out.""
    First line of the sequel: "It took approximately 30 seconds for the forum to find out."
    Post edited by progSHELL on
  • Michael was very confused.
  • The only thing that scares me more than the idea of everything staying the same is the idea of everything changing.
  • "Through the blood and busted lips, he smiled."
  • Michael was very confused.
    This first line spawned the short story I'm handing in for my creative writing class. It was supposed to be six pages, double spaced, but it turned out being seven pages, one and a half spaced.

Read here.