This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The beautiful game

12346»

Comments

• but statistically the women flop around less than the men.
    That depends on what sort of flopping were talking about! Also Ladies football does have the occasional fisty-cuffs that makes the men look like flouncing wusses. Which they are but still. I hear Japans team is pretty tight so it could be a good game.
    We're talking about faking injuries. http://www.torontosun.com/2011/07/13/men-fake-soccer-injuries-more-than-women-stud
  • You know, I have a theory. Female athletes really try hard to be tough, and to make people see them as tough. If they cry over fake injuries, perhaps they would be worried about appearing wussy.
  • I also realized something. Let's say refs actually started enforcing the rule against simulation. You know what would happen? Players would start actually hurting each other intentionally and then try to accuse the person of simulation. Punch a guy in the junk when the ref isn't looking and then maybe he gets a card. A perfect plan!
  • I was making a boob joke there Scott.... Though yes male football players are maddening. It is a primary reason why I stopped watching the game. It has steadily reduced to grown men with silly hair, to much money and bad acting abilities.
  • Japan won. :(
  • edited July 2011
    It was a very good game. I am glad Japan won even though I was rooting for the USA. The USA lost so many opportunities and there is a saying in soccer in spanish "Si no la metes, te la meten!"
    Congrats Japan!
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • edited July 2011
    Nadeshiko Japan! I rooted for those girls, and even though I am American, I was super glad that Japan beat us.
    In Japan, those girls are heroes. In America, I'm not sure if people would have paid that much more attention if we won.
    I think they needed a bit of a victory after stuff had been sucking lately. I hope this inspires young Japanese girls to play soccer.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Means I don't have to come up with something to talk about for my next English lesson.
  • edited July 2011
    Nadeshiko Japan! I rooted for those girls, and even though I am American, I was super glad that Japan beat us.
    In Japan, those girls are heroes. In America, I'm not sure if people would have paid that much more attention if we won.
    I think they needed a bit of a victory after stuff had been sucking lately. I hope this inspires young Japanese girls to play soccer.
    Sadly, I think very very few people care about women's athletics unless something happens like that girl who took off her top celebrating a few years ago. Indycar has gotten a fair amount of good female drivers over the past few years because of the success of Danica Patrick, but when I speak about Indycar with people, I say I don't think it's good for Danica to do all these Go Daddy ads where she's unzipping her race suit, but to most men I talk to only pay attention to her for doing that. They don't know any of the other drivers who aren't unzipping their suits on ads. It's kind of sad because she's actually a relatively talented driver if she would pick on discipline(Indycar or stock car) and focus on it.
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • It's kind of sad because she's actually a relatively talented driver if she would pick on discipline(Indycar or stock car) and focus on it.
    It's also sad because most of the other women drivers are not so talented.
  • Sadly, I think very very few people care about women's athletics unless something happens like that girl who took off her top celebrating a few years ago. Indycar has gotten a fair amount of good female drivers over the past few years because of the success of Danica Patrick, but when I speak about Indycar with people, I say I don't think it's good for Danica to do all these Go Daddy ads where she's unzipping her race suit, but to most men I talk to only pay attention to her for doing that. They don't know any of the other drivers who aren't unzipped their suits on ads. It's kind of sad because she's actually a relatively talented driver if she would pick on discipline(Indycar or stock car) and focus on it.
    If I ever become a successful racing driver, I promise you - I will do ads where I unzip my racing suit.
  • Sadly, I think very very few people care about women's athletics unless something happens like that girl who took off her top celebrating a few years ago. Indycar has gotten a fair amount of good female drivers over the past few years because of the success of Danica Patrick, but when I speak about Indycar with people, I say I don't think it's good for Danica to do all these Go Daddy ads where she's unzipping her race suit, but to most men I talk to only pay attention to her for doing that. They don't know any of the other drivers who aren't unzipped their suits on ads. It's kind of sad because she's actually a relatively talented driver if she would pick on discipline(Indycar or stock car) and focus on it.
    If I ever become a successful racing driver, I promise you - I will do ads where I unzip my racing suit.
    At least we'd have something resembling equality then. Also, Scott, most of them are rookies or second year drivers, but Simona DiSilvestro has been holding her own this year as far as I've seen.
  • edited July 2011
    How else do you expect France and southern Europe to win any games?

Kidding!
    Post edited by bodtchboy on
  • You know, I have a theory. Female athletes really try hard to be tough, and to make people see them as tough. If they cry over fake injuries, perhaps they would be worried about appearing wussy.
    That's how American soccer (MLS) was when it started. It was more physical for soccer and fake injuries were rare. I liked it, but they didn't have the skill and finesse that some of the European and Latin American players had.
    I am going to proclaim the opposite here. During my game on Friday the opposing team had a woman who would scream out every time she got touched and launched a couple of nasty retaliatory drop kicks. This made me think about other such instances I could recall. Here is my conclusion,

The only women I have seen 'behave like men' in coed leagues are the ones who are pretty good and native to the US. They have ball skills and are tactically aware. This usually means their ability is derived from training rather than kicking a ball around in the park and watching soccer (which is where us non-US people get our ability from in general - a side note US attitude towards organized amateur sports is exceptional).

Women I've played with/against who have not been hot-housed don't tend to be like this.

I believe it is possible their attitude is also derived from training.
    I am going to proclaim the opposite here. During my game on Friday the opposing team had a woman who would scream out every time she got touched and launched a couple of nasty retaliatory drop kicks. This made me think about other such instances I could recall. Here is my conclusion,

The only women I have seen 'behave like men' in coed leagues are the ones who are pretty good and native to the US. They have ball skills and are tactically aware. This usually means their ability is derived from training rather than kicking a ball around in the park and watching soccer (which is where us non-US people get our ability from in general - a side note US attitude towards organized amateur sports is exceptional).

Women I've played with/against who have not been hot-housed don't tend to be like this.

Or possibly those are the women with a high amount of testosterone who haven't figured out how to control it yet.
  • I dislike soccer simply because I find the game tedious and boring to play and more so to watch. Sadly this often puts me at odds with my girlfriend who LOVES soccer, but then she has the same feeling for football and baseball that I do for soccer so it evens out.
  • I think girls like soccer because people let us play it more often.

Or possibly those are the women with a high amount of testosterone who haven't figured out how to control it yet.
    In that case I would expect an equal distribution of these types between good and bad female players. I do not see that. I only see it in the good ones. Hence my comment.
  • Soccer: All the intense, fast-paced teamwork of hockey sans the ice, deadly puck, murderous sticks, malicious defenders and with blatant penalty theatrics.
  • Soccer: All the intense, fast-paced teamwork of hockey sans the ice, deadly puck, murderous sticks, malicious defenders and with blatant penalty theatrics.
    Well, the Vancouver Canucks had those blatant penalty theatrics down pat during the Stanley Cup Finals...
  • edited February 2013
    Terrific article on Grantland today about how many matches are fixed by organized crime.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8924593/match-fixing-soccer

I can't resist pointing out that instant replay also largely solves this problem. When you have a game where a fallible referee on the field makes all the calls, they are clearly susceptible to corruption. A neutral group of officials making judgments from slow motion high resolution video that every player, coach, and fan can also see for themselves has a much harder time fixing a match.
    Post edited by Apreche on