This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Secret shames

Comments

• Now you're "that gay guy who takes himself way too seriously".
  • The top entry on Urban Dictionary doesn't seem so bad to me...
  • I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt here since I know you aren't trying to be offensive but "twink" doesn't mean anything near what you think it means and I'd really discourage you from calling anyone that.
    No, it was definitely not my intention to be offensive. But yes, I do know what "twink" means - unless different gay communities use the same terms to refer to different things - and at least here in the Albany, those people I know who identify as such are very very obviously so.

No offense intended; I was speaking from my personal perspective based on the community where I live.
  • edited January 2011
    It's one thing to self identify as something, it's fine to own a term that's otherwise not positive, that doesn't make it any less impolite <_<

Referring to someone as a twink, in addition to describing someone of a particular age (I'm a little flattered though, since I'm way too old to be a twink anymore) and appearance, also has the strong inference that they don't deserve any regard and are basically just sexual fodder.

I can't really think of a good equivalent it might have to compare it to though, a female twink would be somewhere between a slut and a "dumb blonde".
    Post edited by Kaptain K on
  • OOOOOOOKAY!!!! Back to the topic at hand.

I love the 6 hour Pride and Prejudice mini-series. A lot. Like a lot a lot.
  • It's one thing to self identify as something, it's fine to own a term that's otherwise not positive, that doesn't make it any less impolite <_<</p>
    I get that. I'm generally in the habit of using the language that a person uses themselves, but I do recognize when a group wants to sort of "own" a particular word.

As I said, no offense intended. What you're saying makes sense to me, but that simply hasn't been experience in the gay community with which I interact. I'll refrain from carelessly tossing around slang.
  • edited January 2011
    I have a great deal of empathy for how tricky it can be to maneuver with someone when you don't know exactly what's okay or not okay to say, sometimes :3
    What you're saying makes sense to me, but that simply hasn't been experience in the gay community with which I interact. I'll refrain from carelessly tossing around slang.
    Again, self-labeling yourself as a twink is pretty common everywhere if that's the kind of attention you're looking to get (mainly the sexual kind) so it's not a slang, per se. You just had the general definition off a bit.
  • Secret shame: I no longer like Led Zeppelin.

• Referring to someone as a twink, in addition to describing someone of a particular age (I'm a little flattered though, since I'm way too old to be a twink anymore) and appearance, also has the strong inference that they don't deserve any regard and are basically just sexual fodder.

I can't really think of a good equivalent it might have to compare it to though, a female twink would be somewhere between a slut and a "dumb blonde".
    Interesting. That makes sense, and there is some mention of that on Urban Dictionary, so I'll take your word for it.

Nonetheless:
    Now you're "that gay guy who takes himself way too seriously".
  • If you don't take yourself seriously no one else will.
  • edited January 2011
    Secret shame: I no longer like Led Zeppelin.
    Wait WHAT?

I figured your secret shame is you don't actually like all that Metal you say you like and were just liking it to feel special.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited January 2011
    If you don't take yourself seriously no one else will.
    To quote the inimitable FZ, and to paraphrase my own philosophy:

"I think it's really tragic when people get serious about stuff. It's such an absurdity to take anything really seriously ... I make an honest attempt not to take anything seriously: I worked that attitude out about the time I was eighteen, I mean, what does it all mean when you get right down to it, what's the story here? Being alive is so weird."

People still think I'm srs bsns, though.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Secret shame: I no longer like Led Zeppelin.
    That's fucked up bro.
  • edited January 2011
    Wait WHAT?
    That's fucked up bro.
    I'll add an addendum: I still respect Led Zeppelin, but I no longer enjoy their music. It feels primitive next to the stuff I listen to today.

Even bigger secret shame: I haven't liked Slayer for 6 years now.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I figured your secret shame is you don't actually like all that Metal you say you like and were just liking it to feel special.
    I'll add an addendum: I stillrespectLed Zeppelin, but I no longer enjoy their music. It feels primitive next to the stuff I listen to today.
    SO I was right ^_^
  • I have seen almost every filmed version of Jane Austen books ever made. I love Engelbert Humperdinck, Neil Diamond, Tom Jones, Abba, etc. Just because something is light and fluffy doesn't mean it is entirely lacking in merit or entertainment value.
    Kate, these aren't bad things. I love ABBA and "Pride and Predjudice" was a good movie.
  • SO I was right ^_^
    Slayer is the kiddie pool of extreme metal. The stuff I like now is way beyond the stuff that Slayer used to make.

Also, Slayer has effectively made the same album for the last three albums. That kind of stagnation drives me crazy.
  • edited January 2011
    I'll add an addendum: I stillrespectLed Zeppelin, but I no longer enjoy their music. It feels primitive next to the stuff I listen to today.
    Buuuuuuuullshit, what band is makes Led Zeppelin seem primitive? And if you post prog-metal or something then touche I guess.
  • And if you post prog-metal or something then touche I guess.
    Well, I was going to go straight for the throat and toss out Mirrorthrone - an avant garde progressive symphonic black metal solo project - but if you'll buckle at prog-metal, I'll just stick to Mastodon, Between the Buried and Me, 3, Dream Theater, and, well, everyone.
  • Is liking big butts a secret shame? Because I like big butts...
  • Me too buddy.
  • Is liking big butts a secret shame? Because I like big butts...
    And obviously you cannot lie. Sir Mix-A-Lot would be proud.
  • Zeppelin is god, go to hell.
  • Metal got way worse when it didn't incorporate blues anymore.
    No, it finally broke free of 12-bar shackles!

I kid. I like blues and blues metal; however, metal didn't really become metal (as a separate entity from hard rock) until it minimized the blues influence.

And now, we get wonderful fusions like the Diablo Swing Orchestra.
  • Pete is right about Zeppelin, ya'll are just in denial.
  • I never really liked Zeppelin, or much of classic rock for that matter.
    No, it finally broke free of 12-bar shackles!

I kid. I like blues and blues metal; however, metal didn't really become metal (as a separate entity from hard rock) until it minimized the blues influence.

And now, we get wonderful fusions like the Diablo Swing Orchestra.
    That's why I can't listen to metal anymore, plus the fans are all neckbeards now.
  • edited January 2011
    Pete is right about Zeppelin, ya'll are just in denial.
    Precisely.

Also, the Beatles were never good. Important, yes. Good, no.

Hendrix is overrated. Again, important but not good.

Jonathan Coulton's music is lame.
    plus the fans are all neckbeards now
    Hey, I shaved this morning!

EDIT:
    Secret shame: Ethan Frome is actually my favorite book.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited January 2011
    The neckbeard is in your heart even if it's not on your neck.
    Jonathan Coulton's music is lame.
    Hey we agree on something, high five. image