This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Secret shames

Comments

• What kind of LARP, they're not all equally embarrassing. D&D/foam swords LARP is way more silly than VtM LARP, if you can believe such a thing.
  • foam swords LARP
    Unless it''s those new NERF swords and shields. Then it's awesome.
  • edited February 2011
    What kind of LARP, they're not all equally embarrassing. D&D;/foam swords LARP is way more silly than VtM LARP, if you can believe such a thing.
    WoD. Had some VtM and some WtA.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • I like VtM LARP because it's basically improv theater. Sadly "LARP" instantly conjures images of foam swords and shields, beanbags and guys yelling "lightning bolt!" so whenever I bring it up in conversation I typically have a lot of follow up justification to do.
  • I like VtM LARP because it's basically improv theater. Sadly "LARP" instantly conjures images of foam swords and shields, beanbags and guys yelling "lightning bolt!" so whenever I bring it up in conversation I typically have a lot of follow up justification to do.
    Nothing justifies LARP. Nothing.
  • LARPing, srs bsns.
    I had a lot of fun being the Prince of Montreal.
  • edited February 2011
    I like VtM LARP because it's basically improv theater. Sadly "LARP" instantly conjures images of foam swords and shields, beanbags and guys yelling "lightning bolt!" so whenever I bring it up in conversation I typically have a lot of follow up justification to do.
    I had a lot of fun being the Prince of Montreal.
    I didn't say it wasn't fun. But I can't talk about being in a larp without feeling a little shameful, mostly because of the types of people who it attracted. The percentage of really cool people to the percentage of {insert nerd stereotype} showed great disparity.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • My LARP group was almost exclusively really cool people; because of how intensely social all of the games were, neckbeards basically self eliminated from the potential pool of people who could have been playing with us.
  • I didn't say it wasn't fun. But I can't talk about being in a larp without feeling a little shameful, mostly because of the types of people who it attracted. The percentage of really cool people to the percentage of {insert nerd stereotype} showed great disparity.
    That's mainly because you are letting some outside group judge you. While I was mostly "trolling" the vampire larpers.. (playing Hunters and stuff that's main goal was to kill them), I have to say I had a lot of fun.
  • I was always interested in theater style LARPs like VTM, but there's only that and only people near me who play that. I hate vampires. The boffer LARPers I know are really cool and kinda sexy buff. I'm too weaksauce to join them.
  • I jerk to this every night
  • edited February 2011
    I didn't say it wasn't fun. But I can't talk about being in a larp without feeling a little shameful, mostly because of the types of people who it attracted. The percentage of really cool people to the percentage of {insert nerd stereotype} showed great disparity.
    That's mainly because you are letting some outside group judge you.
    No, a lot of the people involved in those LARPS were scary, crazy, gross/creepy individuals. That isn't to say that all LARPS have that problem, but the RIT LARPS did have that problem (at least at the time, I have no knowledge of their current state).
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • the RIT LARPS did have that problem (at least at the time, I have no knowledge of their current state).
    They did indeed. It was largely a Rochester problem, though, that happened to center around RIT.

RIT draws geeks to the area, and thus geeky things are super popular (RWAG was the biggest gaming club I'd ever seen, and Millennium is one of the best gaming stores in the US). But, the more ambitious and generally successful (on average) geeks leave after their five or so years. Thus, over time, the least able or willing to leave precipitate out, many of them slowly centering their lives around RIT's gamer culture. The scariest and most dysfunctional remain forever, having endless vampire sex whilst rolling dice to determine the number of orgasms.
  • I have no input on larping but I will share my shame:

I haven't seen Back to the Future, any of the Terminator movies, Top Gun, Full Metal Jacket, Forrest Gump, any of the Rocky movies, any of the Rambo movies, anything related to Star Trek except for the very latest movie and I saw the Star Wars movies only like an year ago... and I didn't like them.
  • I saw the Star Wars movies only like an year ago... and I didn't like them.
    You are not a human being.
  • No shame I have is secret. But I guess if I had to pick one thing I wouldn't tell to someone I just met, i guess it would be my OCD of the My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic.
  • I really like this stupid show on mtv called "My Life as Liz." Its basically "The Hills" but with a geek/hipster main character and I just marathoned the first season. I know its probably a terrible show but I fucking love cute quirky girls.

Also I just saw V for Vendetta the first time tonight and I still haven't read the comic.
  • edited February 2011
    Hey, let's be fair here. My judgement isn't blurred by nostalgia and inherent childhood love for the movies. It's not like I can't see why people like them, I just don't.
    Post edited by Wuggynaut on
  • edited February 2011
    Hey, let's be fair here. My judgement isn't blurred by nostalgia and inherent childhood love for the movies. It's not like I can see why people like them, I just don't.
    Nor is mine, but I can safely say that the original Star Wars movies are among the best movies ever made.
    Nonetheless, you're fine not to like them, as long as you understand what makes them good.

The prequel movies, on the other hand, suck.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • You are not a human being.
    Hey, let's be fair here. My judgement isn't blurred by nostalgia and inherent childhood love for the movies. It's not like I can see why people like them, I just don't.
    Nor is mine, but I can safely say that the original Star Wars movies are among the best movies ever made.
    Nonetheless, you're fine not to like them, as long as you understand what makes them good.

The prequel movies, on the other hand, suck.
    My point exactly, I do certainly understand why people treasure these movies so much, but it just isn't for me. I think I just missed the train.

And the prequels I'm not even going to even try.
  • I met my wife at a LARP. A LARP that I kept going back to RIT to play while I lived in Maryland.
    I'm going to go with "adorable." This is adorable.
  • I met my wife at a LARP. A LARP that I kept going back to RIT to play while I lived in Maryland.
    I'm going to go with "adorable." This is adorable.
    RIT geekery is a powerful gravity. Many never escape, and are trapped in Rochester. Many more escape, but return periodically for the rest of their lives.

There isn't necessarily anything wrong with that. I could have enjoyed staying there were it not for the cold and the lack of high paying jobs.
  • I could have enjoyed staying there were it not for the cold and the lack of high paying jobs.
    Yep.
  • Many more escape, but return periodically for the rest of their lives.
  • Many never escape, and are trapped in Rochester. Many more escape, but return periodically for the rest of their lives.
    Having lived Upstate for my entire life I can say this applies to every metro(like) area in NYS. Each city seems to have this pull that keeps bringing you back in. I've only known a handful of people to have ever escaped for longer than 4 years. They all come back. Some of us can't seem to leave.

excuse me while I stand in a corner and pretend I'm Marvin for a few moments, its better than this feeling.
  • Wife doesn't think Evangelion is awesome, even after "Both of you, dance like you want to win." Considering re-education or widowing.
  • Wife doesn't think Evangelion is awesome, even after "Both of you, dance like you want to win." Considering re-education or widowing.
    That may not be the best thing to post on a board she reads. At the very least, if she does start to like it, you'll always wonder if she actually likes it or just doesn't want a divorce.
  • That may not be the best thing to post on a board shereads. At the very least, if she does start to like it, you'll always wonder if she actually likes it or just doesn't want a divorce.
    Linkigi , I think you may need to be introduced to my good friend Sir Casm. Mr. and Mrs. MacRoss are the most loving couple I have ever had the pleasure to encounter on the internet, and I sincerely doubt that either of them would ever do anything like that, they're too honest. Plus Mr. MacRoss built a Sky Castle in minecraft more or less dedicated to Kate, that's dedication.
  • That may not be the best thing to post on a board shereads. At the very least, if she does start to like it, you'll always wonder if she actually likes it or just doesn't want a divorce.
    Linkigi , I think you may need to be introduced to my good friend Sir Casm. Mr. and Mrs. MacRoss are the most loving couple I have ever had the pleasure to encounter on the internet, and I sincerely doubt that either of them would ever do anything like that, they're too honest. Plus Mr. MacRoss built a Sky Castle in minecraft more or less dedicated to Kate, that's dedication.
    Well, yes, without the whole 'dead lover part', seeing as Kate is alive and I don't want her dead.