This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Egypt in Crisis

Comments

• Important announcement from Egyptian state TV coming "soon."

According to AJE, anyhow.
  • Oh lord. Imagine if Anonymous coordinated an attack on the infrastructure of those ISPs. Just completely fucked them.
  • Mubarak is speaking.
  • Mubarak is speechifying now, I'm watching on the Al jazeera channel I linked earlier.
  • Looks like he's still in power. I hear nothing indicating that he's reneging his position at all.
  • Whoa, this is seriously something to watch. Something that will be written for history for sure.
  • He's tenacious, I'll give him that.
  • Hm. "New steps for freedom?" I'll believe it when I see it. But maybe he'll follow through.
  • edited January 2011
    I wonder at the honesty of President Mubarak's statements.
    How new will this "new government" actually be?
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited January 2011
    He just said that he's firing the entire government. Except for himself, of course. He'll name a new government tomorrow.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I think he just said that he's asking the government to step down tomorrow to start a new one tomorrow. With the rough translation I just heard, it will be difficult to tell what that means.
  • Good analysis of the speech right now. Mubarak just tried to calm everyone down while also claiming that his rule has given citizens the ability to protest at all. He's basically trying to come out of this completely unscathed.
  • edited January 2011
    I think he just said that he's asking the government to step down tomorrow to start a new one tomorrow. With the rough translation I just heard, it will be difficult to tell what that means.
    Wont it just be same boss, different lackeys then? Isn't that NOT what folks want.
    Good analysis of the speech right now. Mubarak just tried to calm everyone down whilealsoclaiming that his rule has given citizens the ability to protest at all. He's basically trying to come out of this completely unscathed.
    That's what I gathered anyway.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • I'm doubtful that he'll get away with that.
  • That's what the analysis is saying. My feeling is that it will be at best a light cover to the tension.
  • It's interesting that he talks about the freedoms and the choice that his people have, but he also has the power to single-handedly change the government overnight and assign a new one.

Basically, he's confirmed that Egypt is a dictatorship.
  • So...if the Defense Minister just got fired, who's in charge of the military? Will he even give up power? So many questions :/
  • Protests haven't stopped. Good job, Mubarak.
  • Protests haven't stopped. Good job, Mubarak.
    They are chanting "Down, down, down with Mubarak." Yeah...
  • As I watch this, why do I have music from West Side Story in my head?
  • edited January 2011
    Oh lord. Imagine if Anonymous coordinated an attack on the infrastructure of those ISPs. Just completely fucked them.
    That would be completely awesome (in both senses of the word), and might possibly redeem them for all the shenanigans they've pulled in the past.

EDIT: I also really, really like the phrase "our man in Cairo."
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Obama is giving a speech within 5 minutes.
  • edited January 2011
    Do you know where I can hear that speech?
    EDIT: Okay, AJE just said they'd broadcast it. I'll stick with that.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited January 2011
    Obama is live on AJE.
    EDIT: I was probably a couple of minutes behind due to having stayed on AJE without refreshing for a couple of hours, heh.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • This may just be an outlier situation, but AJE's coverage kicks the everliving shit out of the rest of the world's press at the moment.
  • This is quite the situation, and I really don't know what to think about it quite yet. I definitely need to sit back and analyze this as it unfolds.

I'll say this much, I wouldn't want to be in Obama's place right now. I don't see a "clean" stance that we can possibly take.
  • Edward Walker's comments were very interesting.

Humanity is sometimes a wonderful thing to behold.
  • edited January 2011
    Al-Jazeera had a number of journalists arrested. It's entire Egyptian bureau has been shut down by the government.
    Egypt's debt rating is plummeting. Not too surprising considering the rioting and the internet blackout.
    U.S. citizens are told to GFTO of Egypt by the US government. I've heard charter planes mentioned several times.
    Numerous tweets from Amr El Beleidy are saying it is not an 'Islamic movement' but a 'people's movement'. This is encouraging, but only time will tell if the Muslim Brotherhood makes a hard push for power or chooses to remain in the background. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that one.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on