This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Egypt in Crisis

Comments

• WHAT THE FUCK WHY DID THE US NEWS INTERRUPT HIS SPEECH WITH THEIR BULLSHIT COMMENTARY! WHAT THE FUCK!?!?
    To be fair, I watched a clip of AJE when Obama was speaking, and some commentator there spoke over him the entire time.
    Depends on the commentator. AJE gives a lot of freedom to the people to say what they want.
  • edited February 2011
    Depends on the commentator. AJE gives a lot of freedom to the people to say what they want.
    Exactly. Probably the same case with the US commentator speaking over Mubarak.

In any event, Mubarak did say that he's planning on staying through his current term. Also, he thinks the protesters were "taken advantage of" by people trying to undermine the government.

Newsflash: the protesters are trying to undermine the government, which is you.

It does not seem that his promise not to run has swayed the protesters.

EDIT: Best Fark comment:
    Nah.
    Egypt has the pyramids which means there will only be one turn of anarchy when they switch to another form of government.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • EDIT: Best Fark comment:
    Win.
  • edited February 2011
    Why did I just read the title as "Egypt in Crysis"?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Why did I just read the title as "Egypt in Crysis"?
    I'd play that.
  • On the subject of journalism, I recently heard Tony Blair interviewed by Jeremy Paxman and it was wonderful to listen to how cautious both of them sounded. Blair being infamous when it comes to talking without saying anything and Paxman being known for being a relentless interviewer.
  • edited February 2011
    Most of the news that I am seeing indicates that once Mubarak and his government steps down that an Islamist regime will take its place.
    This spells the makings of a second Iran. Grrrreat.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Looks like it's going to be a "who shoots first" situation.
  • Shit rapidly approaches fan.
  • Shit rapidly approaches fan.
    Quite.
  • Obama all but called for an immediate transition of power.
    To whom?
    Yeah, the language from the White House has become increasingly directed and immediate lately.

The President got as forceful with the situation as I wanted. Mubarak was on the way out no matter what; better to cut your losses and try to look like the good guys when the dust settles.
  • Anderson Cooper Attacked His crew was getting punched in the head... fun stuff. Guess we've moved to the violence stage.
  • A fascinating and direct take on the situation's overall evolution.
    Really? Because I thought there was a good bit of spin in that. The American Thinker is hardly noted for running totally truthful and accurate pieces.

No doubt, of course, that some of that article is true. It's an interesting way to look at the situation from a different perspective.
  • My company just banned all business travel to Egypt.
  • Really? Because I thought there was a good bit of spin in that. The American Thinker is hardly noted for running totally truthful and accurate pieces.
    Did I say objective or guaranteed accurate? No, I said fascinating (it was) and direct (it didn't mince words). That's all I said.
  • I don't find heavy spin to be particularly fascinating; I find it to be woefully predictable. And I'd hardly call it "direct;" the author blatantly lied to spin his point.
    They do not have rubber bullets or tear gas.
    Right, except for all those photos we have of "Made in the USA" tear gas canisters fired at protesters.

There are more instances, but the author is pretty directly choosing his language and facts to suit his purpose. I'd call that "mincing" words.
  • Right, except for all those photos we have of "Made in the USA" tear gas canisters fired at protesters.
    I believe he was referencing the Army, not the security forces on the ground.
  • I believe he was referencing the Army, not the security forces on the ground.
    Gah, on closer reading, I concur.

That was just one example, though. It's still a pretty dubious article overall.

I do agree that the situation is probably vastly more complex than any one outlet portrays it to be. We likely won't really know what has happened for quite some time.
  • That was just one example, though. It's still a pretty dubious article overall.
    I felt similarly.
  • Seems like there is a narrative change occurring, one quite harrowing indeed.
  • edited February 2011
    Seems like there is a narrative change occurring,one quite harrowing indeed.
    Yeah, the situation is really getting fucking grim.

I've read rumors/reports here and there that some of the pro-Mubarak people are plainclothes cops or have been paid off. Honestly, I don't know if I believe that or not. I don't know what to believe about Egypt right now, except that there is a firehose of shit being sprayed at a wall of fans right now.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Those Mubarak supporters are making a real good case for "stability".
  • I don't like that this is going down like I thought it would.
  • Anderson Cooper Attacked, Punched In The Head By Pro-Mubarak Mob In Egypt
    That is NOT COOL. You do NOT hit Anderson Cooper! Bad mob! Bad!