This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Egypt in Crisis

Comments

• Is it time to say "I told you so" yet, George?
  • When you cut off the Internet, all there is to do is have a revolution.
  • Riding horses through a crowd is a time honored form of crowd control that is incredibly effective. It seems very likely that the horse riding "Pro-Mubarak" people are actually organized by the government.
  • Estimates on when the bombings start?
  • I'm with Colbert on this one. The gangs supporting Mubarak seem like military in plain cloths. I'm prety sure that breaks some international rules of conduct. Hopfully the U.N. responds accordingly.
  • Is it time to say "I told you so" yet, George?
    What do mean? That I was right that shit is going south in a hurry?

The problem here is that the Egyptians do not understand that letting Mubarak finish his term is the logical choice. The entire government is falling apart, if he steps down there is no one to replace him. The country will descend into anarchy, as it is right now. These people need to get there heads on straight and realize that they have 6 months to pick an entirely new government, which is no small task. They need to stop lighting shit on fire and get on that.
  • The problem here is that the Egyptians do not understand that letting Mubarak finish his term is the logical choice. The entire government is falling apart, if he steps down there is no one to replace him. The country will descend into anarchy, as it is right now. These people need to get there heads on straight and realize that they have 6 months to pick an entirely new government, which is no small task. They need to stop lighting shit on fire and get on that.
    I think there is a concern that if Mubarak serves out his term, he'll be able to put up a shill and effectively continue his administration.

That shouldn't be enough of a concern to warrant ousting Mubarak now, but these people haven't had truly free elections in over 30 years. I don't think they're in a terribly rational place right now.
  • I think there is a concern that if Mubarak serves out his term, he'll be able to put up a shill and effectively continue his administration.

That shouldn't be enough of a concern to warrant ousting Mubarak now, but these people haven't had truly free elections in over 30 years. I don't think they're in a terribly rational place right now.
    Yes, I know what they're actually thinking. But it's typical short sightedness, you've effectively toppled the dictator, good job. But what now. You've got an effectively lawless country now. That's why violence is breaking out, the people have realized that the government can't stop them at this point.
  • I say they should throw Mubarak out, and form a new government. Just like the US did in 1776.
  • I say they should throw Mubarak out, and form a new government. Just like the US did in 1776.
    Way to go in trivializing a complex political, social, and economic situation while simultaneously blanketing the movement with an erroneous analogy to the American Revolution.
  • What do mean? That I was right that shit is going south in a hurry?
    No, you were making noise to the effect that there wouldn't be a revolution in the FOYD thread. Because of the machine guns. I think it's safe to say at this point the protesters aren't terribly concerned about the deterrents.
  • dsfdsf
    edited February 2011
    I say they should throw Mubarak out, and form a new government. Just like the US did in 1776.
    Way to go in trivializing a complex political, social, and economic situation while simultaneously blanketing the movement with an erroneous analogy to the American Revolution.
    heh.

Yeah there is no parallel at all is there?

lol
    Post edited by dsf on
  • edited February 2011
    I say they should throw Mubarak out, and form a new government. Just like the US did in 1776.
    heh
    I mean, "FUCK YEAH NUKE THE TOWELHEADS".
    Post edited by Andrew on
    heh
    I mean, "FUCK YEAH NUKE THE TOWELHEADS".
    u mad bro?
  • I mean, "FUCK YEAH NUKE THE TOWELHEADS".
    That would solve some problems.
  • Dont know If this has come p yet but a list of reporters that have been attacked over the course of it. Seems that a lot of the instances were from 'plain clothes' groups.
    List of attacked reporters
    Seems that the secret police/intelligence agencies are trying to stop the spread, in a very infective way.

I also miss read the above post that sex would solve the problems in the middle east.
  • edited February 2011
    I'm with Colbert on this one. The gangs supporting Mubarak seem like military in plain cloths. I'm prety sure that breaks some international rules of conduct.
    I'm not so sure - more likely they are Mukhabarat or the Central Security Forces. They don't move or act like soldiers would in that situation, for the most part - but I could be wrong, I'm no expert.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I don't get it...
  • I don't get it...
    Think hard. What's changing on the left? How about on the right?

Now, what's changing in the middle?
  • Clearly Japan goes through rulers like a college student goes through Pocky.
  • Clearly Japan goes through rulers like a college student goes through Pocky.
    Ahhh, but they're not real rulers. Look at how little the Japanese government has changed in the national body of law in the last several decades...
  • Does Japan not have term limits or what?
  • Think hard. What's changing on the left? How about on the right?

No, I understand what it's showing, I just don't know what the underlying point is.
  • I just don't know what the underlying point is.
    That ass has been in power since Reagan. That's a long time. There are many reports of the protesters carrying pictures of Reagan/Obama for that very reason.
  • Think hard. What's changing on the left? How about on the right?

No, I understand what it's showing, I just don't know what the underlying point is.
    The #1 reason for the longevity and success of the United States, above all other reasons, is the peaceful transfer of executive power.
  • That ass has been in power since Reagan. That's alongtime. There are many reports of the protesters carrying pictures of Reagan/Obama for that very reason.
    Seeing as how he's been in power longer than I've been alive, I understood that already.
  • edited February 2011
    Also the reason he's been in power for so long is because he has been using a restriction in their constitution to stop anyone in any other party from running in any elections. It's some sort of emergency clause that's been in effect for decades now.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on