This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Egypt in Crisis

Comments

• That comic is such win.
  • Panel 2 needs a beard added.
  • edited February 2011
    So in 5 minutes of listening to AJ one commentator said the words "straw man" and the next one said "begs the question."
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • and the next one said "begs the question."
    And in the right context, too? Far too many people use that phrase to mean "Raises the question," which is totally wrong.
  • and the next one said "begs the question."
    And in the right context, too? Far too many people use that phrase to mean "Raises the question," which is totally wrong.
    Yes.
  • Clearly Japan goes through rulers like a college student goes through Pocky.
    Ahhh, but they're not real rulers. Look at how little the Japanese government has changed in the national body of law in the last several decades...
    The parliament, filled with old men...
  • Screw this flippity floppity dictatorship stuff, this is the real injustice!!!
  • edited February 2011
    Oh mans. So, my friend has been in Cairo covering all of this, and she just got on AIM today. Apparently, the Internet is (mostly) back up in Egypt, and so a bunch of pictures, videos, and reportage are popping up online. This is good.

ALSO: I've taken to calling her "my man in Cairo" now.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • The news anchors on Al Jazeera English have really soothing British accents.
  • The news anchors on Al Jazeera English have really soothing British accents.
    I believe that all news should be given in a soothing RP accent. I loves me some BBC and Al Jazeera. (on a related note, my roommate is trying to get an internship at one of these fine establishments)
  • Screw this flippity floppity dictatorship stuff, this isthe real injustice!!!

He who suppressed it, expressed it.
  • Screw this flippity floppity dictatorship stuff, this isthe real injustice!!!
    He who suppressed it, expressed it.
    *slow clap*
  • The geeks are spearheading the revolution:

• Geeks: Turning revolution into cleverlution.
    Also, I've heard on the radio that there are makeshift tents going up in the city centers to protect protesters from the rain and such. NPR said that there is an 'air of permanence' starting to grow in the protests. I also heard that the Muslim Brotherhood will not have a major role in the new government, at least thus far.
    Here's a link to another article that touches on the Muslim Brotherhood and the protests, that ends with this gem:
    Hundreds at the square performed the noon prayers and later offered a prayer for the souls of protesters killed in clashes with security forces.
    Later, Christians held a Sunday Mass and thousands of Muslims joined in.
    Some of the worshippers broke down and cried as the congregation sang: "Bless our country, listen to the screams of our hearts."
    "In the name of Jesus and Muhammad we unify our ranks," Father Ihab al-Kharat said in his sermon. "We will keep protesting until the fall of the tyranny," he said.
    Faith in humanity and protesters, +1000.
  • Oh shit, Chrislam..
  • This brings good tears to my eyes. I wish the Egyptian people success.
  • It looks like the Muslim Brotherhood dropped their demand for Mubarak to step down immediately, which is causing a split in their followers.
    Just an opinion here, but I don't think anyone starts a revolution and then caves to such a major concession "just 'cause". Someone offered the brotherhood something.
  • edited February 2011
    Someone offered part of the Brotherhood something. Many don't seem like they want to cave--which is good for the protesters.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited February 2011
    There's a lot of talk about the Christian and Muslim Egyptians holding hands. Not so much talk about the Egyptian Jews or atheists (yes, they exist).
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • There's a lot of talk about the Christian and Muslim Egyptians holding hands. Not so much talk about the Egyptian Jews or atheists (yes, they exist).
    imageimage
  • There's a lot of talk about the Christian and Muslim Egyptians holding hands. Not so much talk about the Egyptian Jews or atheists (yes, they exist).
    The reason they're making a big hubbub about the Christian and Muslim Egyptians holding hands is likely due to the Islamist bombings on Coptic churches on Christmas eve. I've seen agnostics (and perhaps Jews) mentioned by Muslim bloggers. A blogger interviewed by the BBC notes the presence of the agnostics in the hand-holding. Here's a rabbi detailing the support for the Egyptians by his brothers and sisters in faith.
  • How would you tell that the atheists are there? Religious groups have their iconography; the Christians loft their crosses and the Muslims hoist their kurans. What, you think we're going to see atheists walking around holding up question marks?
  • How would you tell that the atheists are there? Religious groups have their iconography; the Christians loft their crosses and the Muslims hoist their kurans. What, you think we're going to see atheists walking around holding up question marks?
    You can easily tell who's an atheist by how much cooler they look compared to everyone else.
  • edited February 2011
    Also, no right-minded Jew would walk around in a violent protest situation where one side is quite likely supported by bribed Islamic extremists with visible religious iconography. Skullcaps are common between Islam and Judaism, as are small books of scripture (Muslims have the pocket qur'an, Jews have the phylactery). If orthodox Jews are even actively protesting, it's possible their locks have been hidden beneath a skullcap to mask that aspect of their faith.

It's quite possible that entire reason that we aren't hearing about the Jews is because they don't want to be heard about. Think of exactly how much they stand to lose if the momentum swings the wrong way, here.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • The Jews also don't exactly have a loving relationship with Egypt either. I mean, a major chunk of the Jewish mythology is that they were enslaved in Egypt for ages. Also, don't forget that Egypt tried to fuck up Israel on at least one occasion. Even when Anwar Sadat signed the peace accords thirty odd years ago, many Egyptians were pissed and saw him as a traitor. I'd wager any Egyptian Jews are keeping their heads low until the whole thing blows over since they don't want to either become embroiled in the spats of violence, or become scapegoats.
  • What, you think we're going to see atheists walking around holding up question marks?
    More atheists should do this.
  • edited February 2011
    Muslim Brotherhood: "We are not seeking power."
    Then say they won't be fielding their own candidate. They also said they want democracy, not theocracy.
    Son, I am not disappoint. Pretty impressive moves, and they're totally putting their money where their mouths are.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on