This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic

Comments

• edited February 2011
    It wouldn't have been so bad if the whole thing hadn't had an element of "you are wrong if you don't believe in woo." At first I thought it would be a plot device (like most shows where paranormal stuff happens), but then it turned out to be the point of the show. Bleah. >_<
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • The show isn't that bad. My only real regret is that when I see My Little Pony in Fakku, I know I'm going to end up clicking on it.
  • Well here is Lauren Faust's interpretation of the episode.
  • edited February 2011
    Fuck that interpretative shit, FLUTTER SHY!

Also, FOUR HOOFED DRIFTING!!!!!
    She's an evil enchantress, and she raves and she dances,
    She loves all kinds of tunes, Eurobeats, and trances,
    And what can you do, cuz she's lookin' at you,
    Get out there and dance the night away too!
    I'm gonna pull the complete Initial D from my offsite archive server and make a mashup.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited February 2011
    It wouldn't have been so bad if the whole thing hadn't had an element of "you are wrong if you don't believe in woo." At first I thought it would be a plot device (like most shows where paranormal stuff happens), but then it turned out to be the point of the show. Bleah. >_<</p>
    It was clear quite quickly that Pinkie Pie's predictions were reliable, and Twilight took too long to be convinced of this. That's a message I would have been okay with - don't deny evidence, especially not when it's right in your face. While there was a definite woo-y feel to Pinkie's twitches, this is after all a magical universe. Because of the possibility of a reasonable message and/or a sensible explanation for the phenomenon I still had some hope for the episode up until the end.

The last 5 minutes of the episode are where it went horribly wrong. In particular, the leap of faith was downright stupid, especially when there was the option of teleportation (granted, I didn't think of it at the time, but many people on the Internet did). Now, I can see a point to be had with regards to Twilight's "doozy", where she says "just because I don't understand doesn't mean it's not true". That's a perfectly valid point - in the face of strong evidence, we need to accept something even if we do not understand how it works. After all, it's silly to think that every human being on the planet can fully understand all fields of human endeavour. If the overall message had gone that way, which it could have with relatively minor changes to the episode, it would have been fine.

However, I can't agree with the suggestion that it is okay to simply give up on understanding something. What's worse is that the message to Celestia, which is an overt moral to the story, contained "there are wonderful things in this world you just can't explain, but that doesn't necessarily make them any less true. It just means you have to choose to believe in them."

This episode was a sore disappointment, although it was only the apparent pro-faith message that soured the experience, and the episode was enjoyable apart from that. In any case, it's only one episode out of fifteen and so I'll keep watching the show. I also take consolation in episode 9, Bridle Gossip, where Twilight's skepticism was vindicated.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited February 2011
    My Theology teacher is going to kill me.
    The vice of envy is wanting something that others have, and being jealous of others. This was exhibited by the character Princess Luna from the television show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Princess Luna was jealous of her older sister, Princess Celestia, who controlled the Sun, so Luna attacked Celestia. Another character who displays envy is Anteaterina from the television show Princess Tutu. Anteaterina is jealous of Rue's superior dancing ability, so she challenges her to a duel and loses. Because her envy prevented her from practicing towards her goal, Anteaterina was unable to beat Rue.
    edit: He's gonna kill me twice:
    Love is the virtue that allows us to care for others and is the cornerstone of virtues. One television character who exhibits love is Twilight Sparkle from the show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Twilight realizes that she can only defeat Princess Luna with the help of her friends, and that that friendship, which is a form of love, is the most important thing to her. The character Princess Tutu, from the show of the same name, is another example of love. She dances in order to restore the missing shards of Mytho's heart and save the people who are being affected by these shards. She loves and cares for everyone she meets, and she wants to help them all.
    Everyone will probably start thinking I'm gay, but I really hope he decides to read these to the class.
    Post edited by Ikatono on
  • That sounds like it is going to be hilarious.
  • If he writes something funny on your paper before handing back, please do tell. This can pretty much only end hilariously. Also, don't forget to cite the episodes properly.
  • If it works, up the seriousness.
  • edited February 2011
    Well, if you're at a religious school, you might as well take advantage of it ^_~
  • I fully promote screwing with any leader in a theology class that is the study of how a particular religion is 'right' as opposed to a study of how many religions came into existence. I am reluctant to call a person who gives instruction on the previous a 'teacher' as much as a 'promoter'.
  • I fully promote screwing with any leader in a theology class that is the study of how a particular religion is 'right' as opposed to a study of how many religions came into existence. I am reluctant to call a person who gives instruction on the previous a 'teacher' as much as a 'promoter'.
    I second this
  • I assume that's a one without the other situation. Science teachers tend to be big promoters of science.
    This is why my World Religions teacher in college was awesome. We didn't even study Christianity. Why? "You guys all know how that one works already," he said. He was right.
  • Unfortunately, these are tiny assignments and I rarely get a chance to do shit like this in homework. However, I really hate this teacher, so I take every chance I can to screw with him.
  • edited February 2011
    A really good AMV I found on /co/.

Post edited by Robyn Chaos on
  • I assume that's a one without the other situation. Science teachers tend to be big promoters of science.
    Right, but science does not include theology. A science teacher can teach many of the sciences (biology, chemistry, etc.). A theology teacher who teaches how Christianity is right, or teaches from the assumption that it's the only religion that matters or is correct is NOT a teacher, but a promoter. You won't find a science teacher saying ONLY biology is right, as there are other objectively correct sciences.
    Unfortunately, these are tiny assignments and I rarely get a chance to do shit like this in homework. However, I really hate this teacher promoter, so I take every chance I can to screw with him.
    FTFY.
  • I handed the assignments in to my teacher promoter, can't wait to see what he says.
  • A really good AMV I found on /co/.

I approve of this.
  • A really good AMV I found on /co/.
    I approve of this.
    It's awesome.
  • edited February 2011
    I approve of this.
    It's awesome.
    The amount of effort put into this AMV is far above the usual fare. Very Awesome. Much respect. Also, this mashup is high quality. This is Girl Talk level quality here.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited February 2011
    I approve of this.
    It's awesome.
    The amount of effort put into this AMV is far above the usual fare. Very Awesome. Much respect. Also, this mashup is high quality. This is Girl Talk level quality here.
    I really want to see the show after watching that video...I have a feeling that either the pink one or the rainbow haired one will be a favorite of mine.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • edited February 2011
    I really want to see the show after watching that video...
    Then do so.
    I have a feeling that either the pink one or the rainbow haired one will be a favorite of mine.
    I like all of them, but Pinkie Pie and Twilght Sparkle are my favourites. Fluttershy is very cute, though.
  • Pinkie Pie is hilarious in a Tezuka kind of way :O
  • Pinkie Pie has been possessed by Party Cat and one should never trust Party Cat.
  • edited February 2011
    You can get all the released episodes and all the upcoming episodes on itunes now.

I am torn between wanting to support good cartoons like this and my hatred of unreasonable DRM.
    Post edited by Robyn Chaos on
  • Buy it and then Bittorent to get the good files?
  • I could do that.
  • I will wait for the dvd/blue ray.