This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• https://imgur.com/a/DvXOl

That's the saddle on the bike. Rode it like half a block and that was rather uncomfortable unless I hovered, then again I'm still sore.
  • Are you sitting wrong?
  • Apreche said:

Are you sitting wrong?

I'm wondering that myself.
  • Try scooting your butt a little farther back onto the wider part of the saddle. Check the pitch of the saddle to make sure it's close to straight horizontal and not tilted forward or backward causing you to slide to one extreme or the other. Check the seat height; your knees should still be slightly bent even at the bottom of the pedal stroke. How much weight is on your hands versus on your seat when you're riding? Is the soreness on the skin surface or does it feel deeper in?
  • I know the "Scott is right again" list is so long you've had to make it into a scroll, but you're going to have to add another entry to it.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/10/11648668/peter-thiel-donald-trump-california-presidential-delegate
  • Apreche said:

I know the "Scott is right again" list is so long you've had to make it into a scroll, but you're going to have to add another entry to it.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/10/11648668/peter-thiel-donald-trump-california-presidential-delegate

Nah, "Sillicon valley libertarian backs right-wing candidate" is such an obvious one that it's practically a free space, especially when he was already a supporter of Ron Paul. It's like padding your list with "The sun will rise tomorrow."
  • Churba said:

Apreche said:

I know the "Scott is right again" list is so long you've had to make it into a scroll, but you're going to have to add another entry to it.

Nah, "Sillicon valley libertarian backs right-wing candidate" is such an obvious one that it's practically a free space, especially when he was already a supporter of Ron Paul. It's like padding your list with "The sun will rise tomorrow."
    Except people in this thread not completely agreeing when I said to stay far far away.
  • No one said he wasn't a bad dude, but sometimes you've got to work with the Devil to get off the ground.
  • Apreche said:

Churba said:

Apreche said:

Except people in this thread not completely agreeing when I said to stay far far away.
    Oh yeah, I kinda skimmed past that argument. Fair play.
    Greg said:

No one said he wasn't a bad dude, but sometimes you've got to work with the Devil to get off the ground.

Also fair.
  • To be fair, as the person who (accidentally) started that argument. I was asking for any possible dangers with the fellowship, @Apreche answered, case closed.
  • How was I able to be used to waking up at 3:30 AM on a regular basis to go into the office? Work at home has spoiled me.
  • Rochelle said:

How was I able to be used to waking up at 3:30 AM on a regular basis to go into the office? Work at home has spoiled me.

People can adapt amazingly well.
  • As someone who doesn't drive, what do I need to know before I start biking in a bike lane on major roads? Assume my level of driving knowledge is right at "could easily pass written permit test".
  • edited May 2016
    Ikatono said:

As someone who doesn't drive, what do I need to know before I start biking in a bike lane on major roads? Assume my level of driving knowledge is right at "could easily pass written permit test".

1. 90% of drivers simply can't see you. It's not that you're not in their line of sight; their brains simply don't register you because driving is so automatic for them they only really see pedestrians, signals/signs, and cars. Bright, flashing lights that can be seen in the daylight are your friends. Take this from a guy who has been hit eight times.
    2. Watch the parked cars for movement inside. A door might open.
    3. Check your local ordinances to see what you're entitled to. Here in LA (and most of California), bikes can ride with traffic and are entitled to a full lane.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Ikatono said:

As someone who doesn't drive, what do I need to know before I start biking in a bike lane on major roads? Assume my level of driving knowledge is right at "could easily pass written permit test".

Wear a hi-viz jacket starting out. Better to look like a tit then dead.
  • Pretty much just err on the side of caution. But Victor brings up some key points.
  • Look out for scenarios that result in a "right-hook" crash; if you're crossing straight through an intersection where cars can right-turn through your bike lane, be on the lookout for such cars, especially in twilight/darkness when even bikes with lights tend to have low side visibility.
  • In California, you're actually supposed to move to the left side of the lane if you're going straight through an intersection so that right-turning cars can pass. In practice, whether you can actually do that depends on the drivers at the intersection.
    If a car's in a position where it's path might intersect yours, try to make eye contact with the driver to make sure that they can see you.
    Pretty much all the traffic laws that apply to cars also apply to bikes.
  • Pretty much all the traffic laws that apply to cars also apply to bikes.

I had a girl get angry at me when I called her out while riding to work a couple years ago. I was on the road and move to the sidewalk and began crossing at a crosswalk and she slammed on her brakes and cursed at me. I confronted her about it and she said because she was in a bike lane she didn't have to stop at a red light. Not only was she not in an actual dedicated bike lane, but I was blown away by the fact that she didn't think she needed to follow basic traffic laws because she was on a bike o_O.
  • MATATAT said:

I had a girl get angry at me when I called her out while riding to work a couple years ago. I was on the road and move to the sidewalk and began crossing at a crosswalk and she slammed on her brakes and cursed at me. I confronted her about it and she said because she was in a bike lane she didn't have to stop at a red light. Not only was she not in an actual dedicated bike lane, but I was blown away by the fact that she didn't think she needed to follow basic traffic laws because she was on a bike o_O.
    Do not talk to or confront strangers under any circumstance. You have a lot to lose, and they might not.
  • edited May 2016
    Apreche said:

Do not talk to or confront strangers under any circumstance.

If only my stubborn sense of justice would allow me to follow that advice consistently.

(Edits were me screwing up then fixing the blockquote).
    Post edited by JettisonJoe on
  • Apreche said:

MATATAT said:

Do not talk to or confront strangers under any circumstance. You have a lot to lose, and they might not.
    Pfft. Fuck that. I don't have much to lose either.
  • Apreche said:

MATATAT said:

Pfft. Fuck that. I don't have much to lose either.
    Fuck that, just let it go. Don't worry about it, no harm, no foul. If they get bowled by someone else later, that's their problem.
  • In California, you're actually supposed to move to the left side of the lane if you're going straight through an intersection so that right-turning cars can pass.

I live in CA and I don't think this is actually true. I think the car is actually supposed to move into the bike lane a ways before the turn instead of turning "through" the bike lane.

I would definitely like to be corrected if I'm wrong, though. Source?

• Scott is right, don't get into it with anyone, especially other bicyclists, they are all dumb.

I live in Boston and bike every day (Yes, even in the Monday blizzards). I have only been doored once, and hit once in a few thousand miles, and this is the basic bike commuter advice I've got.

1. Stop at reds and stop signs before the stop line. Do not drift past, or into the box. I typically stop way before the line, or creep up to the light until it turns; which leads to the next point. Also in Boston cops will give tickets to bikes that run reds.

2. Learn the lights. If you bike the same route every day, figure out the light timing. I constantly am passed by bicyclists who ride hard up to a light as it turns red, then pass them the instant it turns green.

3. Cars are out to get you. This is especially the case with professional drivers (cabs, UPS). You should assume that every driver has their eyes closed. Cars run reds, turn left on red, drive in the bike lane and back up without notice. If you assume that they will try and kill you on purpose, you can probably avoid them.

4. Eye contact, get good at it.

5. Lights, Brakes, Helmet.
  • In California, you're actually supposed to move to the left side of the lane if you're going straight through an intersection so that right-turning cars can pass.

I live in CA and I don't think this is actually true. I think the car is actually supposed to move into the bike lane a ways before the turn instead of turning "through" the bike lane.

I would definitely like to be corrected if I'm wrong, though. Source?
    Both things are true: cars turning right are supposed to move "as far to the right as possible", which means merging into the bike lane before a turn.

Meanwhile, bikes going straight through an intersection where a right turn is allowed are supposed to move away from the curb so that people turning right can pass on the inside. Sauce.
  • Ah. My belief was/is that these are scenarios where I'm allowed (not obligated) to move away from the curb. Am I wrong on that?
  • Ah. My belief was/is that these are scenarios where I'm allowed (not obligated) to move away from the curb. Am I wrong on that?

Yeah, it's not an obligation. I feel like it's the polite thing if you're at an intersection where most drivers want to turn right.
  • Any good seafood restaurants in the York Township area or Harrisburg in PA?
  • Anybody else get weirded out when people you follow on social media for completely different reasons suddenly talk to each other?

Like this for example:

I follow Travis Hughes because he used to write for the Philadelphia Flyers fan blog BroadStreetHockey. I follow Nathan Holt because he's a pretty big guy in the Magic the Gathering fan community. And then worlds collide.