This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Post edited by GreyHuge on
  • Stop that. It's silly.
  • edited March 2011
    Action requires some kind of physical influence on the world apart from the robot, and considering a robot is a kind of machine, I take this to mean some kind of motion.
    If he wants to put forward his own definition of robot, we can see how it matches up to mine, but at the moment there is no discussion. He wants me to answer a question when he has different definition of "action"
    I didn't know you were working with different definitions of "action" and "sensor" to me until you clarified it in those posts.

If you say that an action needs to involve movement, then that's fine, but I wish you'd told me sooner. Your previous definition of "action" made no mention of this.
    Still, this would mean that, for example, firing a laser does not constitute an action. That seems silly to me.

As for sensors,
    and defines "sensor" as "recognizing preformatted signals generated by a computer inputted into a wire" while my working definition would be more like "a device which allows a computer to measure real world information".
    No, that's not my definition of a sensor. My definition of a sensor is the same as most you would get upon Googling for one, e.g. (from Wiktionary) "A device or organ that detects certain external stimuli and responds in a distinctive manner."
    If parts aren't moving physically on a board, the entire concept of robot is reduced to "any kind of electrical signal" which is quite reductive.
    No, not just any electric signal.

I'm glad we've worked out the source of the disagreement, at least.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • On a Sony Handycam, is iLink just their word for firewire or is it slightly tweaked?
  • Stop that. It's silly.
    Awwwwww! It was going to go all the way backwards and be really really awesome!!!
  • On a Sony Handycam, is iLink just their word for firewire or is it slightly tweaked?
    It's firewire.
  • Why is everything in slow motion?
  • You can get that from having a fever.
  • edited March 2011
    You can get that from having a fever.
    Also from Drugs, love, panic, heartbreak, immense victory...pretty much anything that increases the amount of dopamine in your skull or your heartrate.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • It's because your not moving fast enough.
    [Ay-Tee Ay-Tee] or [Et Et]?
  • [Ay-Tee Ay-Tee] or [Et Et]?
    I've always pronounced AT-AT as at-at.
    I do both depending on either who I am talking to or the inherent cuteness of the AT-AT.
  • edited March 2011
    [Ay-Tee Ay-Tee] or [Et Et]?
    Anyone who doesn't pronounce each letter one at a time is wrong. Do you pronounce AT-ST with two syllables? No you don't. Therefore, AT-AT is also four syllables.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited March 2011
    Damn, that's some Scott Logic right there.

It's pronounced AT-AT.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • AY TEE AY TEE.

Everything else? GET THE FUCK OUT.
  • AY TEE AY TEE.
    Who the fuck has ever pronounced it any other way?
  • AY TEE AY TEE.
    There are morons out there who pronounce it as two words like cat cat or bat bat. Same morons who say sequel instead of SQL as three letters.
  • Same morons who say sequel instead of SQL as three letters.
    THANK YOU. I know a few CompSci guys who'd always tear into me for saying the letters. Fuck them. I win.
  • There are morons out there who pronounce it as two words like cat cat or bat bat. Same morons who say sequel instead of SQL as three letters.
  • Same morons who say sequel instead of SQL as three letters.
    Wow, now you're getting really uppity. I say sequel, but I berate no one for saying S-Q-L. I think was spoken to me first, and thus it's the way that stuck.
  • So the makes AT-AT an acronym because you can pronounce it.
  • AY TEE AY TEE.
    Kevin of Atomic Trivia War 9000. This has been an argument on the podcast on several occasions. I am always right, however. AY-TEE AY-TEE is the only way to go.
  • I expect to hear AT-ST from all you bat-shat heathens from now on.
  • I just called those "chicken walkers" like everyone else.
  • I expect to hear AT-ST from all you bat-shat heathens from now on.
    You mean you don't pronounce it At-Sat? Probably just something wrong with the way you talk.