This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

AOL buys the Huffington Post for $315 million.

Comments

• Didn't they buy netscape and bebu?
  • Yeah. Arianna Huffington now has full control over all the media output through AOL. That was part of the deal.
    Netscape has been dead for a few years.

AOL bought Bebo in 2008, but then had to sell it last year.
    Netscape has been dead for a few years.

AOL bought Bebo in 2008, but then had to sell it last year.
    Well done for clarifying my points.
  • Yeah. Arianna Huffington now has full control over all the media output through AOL. That was part of the deal.
    I thought the merger might have been good for HuffPo. Arianna Huffington supported way too much pseudo-scientific bullshit which definitely showed in the website. This disturbs me as she now has a much larger soapbox for her dangerous views.
    I thought the merger might have been good for HuffPo. Arianna Huffington supported way too much pseudo-scientific bullshit which definitely showed in the website. This disturbs me as she now has a much larger soapbox for her dangerous views.
    Couldn't agree with you more on this one. From what I know about her, I don't like what I hear at all. Not looking forward to her having more influence in this world.
    HuffPo's growth was slowing as it reached a size that didn't really allow for more expansion under the business model. Selling to AOL now is a smart move for Arianna. She made an assload of money on this venture. The main question is whether Arianna's content aggregation strategies will work for AOL the same way they did for HuffPo, or if she can adapt to a new strategy that works when they do not.
  • I thought the merger might have been good for HuffPo. Arianna Huffington supported way too much pseudo-scientific bullshit which definitely showed in the website. This disturbs me as she now has a much larger soapbox for her dangerous views.
    I never took Arianna as supporting the BS on the website as much as tolerating it since it drew more people to the site.
  • This disturbs me as she now has a much larger soapbox for her dangerous views.
    Hmm, which are her "dangerous" views? I don't read her commentary much but I listen to her as 1 of 3 panelists on "Left Right & Center" on KCRW almost every week and she seems fairly sensible to my ears. Please edumacate me!
  • edited February 2011
    I never took Arianna as supporting the BS on the website as much as tolerating it since it drew more people to the site.
    Is there a difference?
    Hmm, which are her "dangerous" views? I don't read her commentary much but I listen to her as 1 of 3 panelists on "Left Right & Center" on KCRW almost every week and she seems fairly sensible to my ears. Please edumacate me!
    Arianna actively provides an a soapbox for anti-vaccination proponents, new age weirdos like Deepak Chopra, pro-Intelligent Design and creationist quacks, and homeopaths.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Is there a difference?
    Yea there is, because I also see lots of pro-vaccination and pro-science stuff as well. She doesn't limit who she lets speak on her website as bloggers. While that is giving them a platform that's a bit different then endorsing.
  • Arianna actively provides an a soapbox for anti-vaccination proponents, new age weirdos like Deepak Chopra, pro-Intelligent Design and creationist quacks, and homeopaths.
    Indeed. My mom stopped going there because of, in her words, "too much woo."
  • Okay. Well, I tend not to read those articles. But I do seem to agree with her on a lot of political things. She started pretty strong Republican and is now a left leaning Democrat on most issues. I respect someone who reassesses themselves rather than think of political viewpoints as a "tribe" which one is born to and defends and attacks as such.