This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Soda Soda!

Comments

• I just stick with "Soda Pop."
  • Interestingly, being from the south my whole life (and redneckville in particular) I don't think I've ever actually heard anyone refer to soda-type drinks as Coke. Sometimes we'll say something like "Im getting some cokes for the party", the plural implying different types of sodas. If you ask for Coke anywhere, you get Coke, not "okay what kind?" if that makes sense. I think we say "soda" way more often, or just say the name of what we want. I feel like the "southerners always say coke" thing is kind of a myth, or maybe its just not where I'm from? *shrug*
  • I feel like the "southerners always say coke" thing is kind of a myth, or maybe its just not where I'm from? *shrug*
    Actually, a hallmate of mine is from Tennessee, and she says that they all do call soda Coke down there. Occasionally she does it herself.
  • I feel like the "southerners always say coke" thing is kind of a myth, or maybe its just not where I'm from? *shrug*
    Actually, a hallmate of mine is from Tennessee, and she says that they all do call soda Coke down there. Occasionally she does it herself.
    Its weird, I hear people joke about it all the time ("Us southerners always say coke!"), but I never actually hear or notice anyone say it. I'll have to start listening for it.
  • edited February 2011
    I haven't heard any North Carolinians say it, but we're all from Michigan and Ohio.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Jones soda, people. The only soda in my mind.
  • Jones soda, people. The only soda in my mind.
    Green apple + Vodka = Happy fun times.
  • Interestingly, being from the south my whole life (and redneckville in particular) I don't think I've ever actually heard anyone refer to soda-type drinks as Coke. Sometimes we'll say something like "Im getting some cokes for the party", the plural implying different types of sodas. If you ask for Coke anywhere, you get Coke, not "okay what kind?" if that makes sense. I think we say "soda" way more often, or just say the name of what we want. I feel like the "southerners always say coke" thing is kind of a myth, or maybe its just not where I'm from? *shrug*
    This. Cokes is plural or maybe 'do you want a coke', the singular will be soda most often. But to be perfectly honest I haven't heard coke used this way since I moved to Orlando.
  • The weirdest thing I see on a regular basis is people ordering "a diet." Not diet Coke or diet Mountain Dew: just "diet."
  • The weirdest thing I see on a regular basis is people ordering "a diet." Not diet Coke or diet Mountain Dew: just "diet."
    Probably because they want to specify that they don't care if it's Coke or Pepsi; they just want it to be a diet cola.
  • I don't buy soda often, but when I do it's usually some kind of Jones (Green Apple if it's available) or Ironbeer.
    Most restaurants only offer one diet option of whatever cola brand they have on stock.
    They're probably just making a veiled reference to the Japanese parliamentary system.

I very rarely drink soda, but if a restaurant serves a good sarsaparilla I'll order it above anything else. Also, I really like saying the word "sassafras," and would like to use it more as an expletive.
  • Ahh, the good old days of the Cafe Maya, where we enjoyed delicious Mexican food with lime soda... mmmm.
  • @Sail - I and a few of my friends in the OC make trips roughly quarterly up to Galco. That place is AMAZING. We also get sammichs from the deli and nom. We then drive to some hole in the wall comic shop, browse underwear pervert comics since we still read those and then laze about the general Pasadena area.

Good times. =D
  • New favorite soda brand is probably Jaritos. It's a Mexican brand with lots of Mexicany fruit flavors (lime's my favorite) that actually taste like what they say they are. Unlike Jones' sodas, they're in plentiful supply here because of the large hispanic population.
  • New favorite soda brand is probably Jaritos. It's a Mexican brand with lots of Mexicany fruit flavors (lime's my favorite) that actually taste like what they say they are. Unlike Jones' sodas, they're in plentiful supply here because of the large hispanic population.
    I love that shit. And they're one of the few cheap brands that still come in glass bottles. I don't think they use high fructose corn syrup either.
  • I love that shit. And they're one of the few cheap brands that still come in glass bottles. I don't think they use high fructose corn syrup either.
    Mexican soda = cane sugar.
  • What, you guys can't get Mexican Pepsi and Coke at your local convenience stores?
  • What, you guys can't get Mexican Pepsi and Coke at your local convenience stores?
    Yeah, but not a big fan of Pepsi/Coke to begin with, Jaritos actually has the good tastes.
    You need to go to a store in a Hispanic area or one owned by hispanics usually.
    I can get it once in a while but only in a few places.
  • I'm a big fan of the combination Mexican grocery/restaurant up the road. It's a much closer source for exotic snacks and beverages than Little Vietnam.
  • I had Vernon's Ginger Soda for the first time...really just, circulates the ginger flavor all across my palette. Really enjoyed it.
  • I had Vernon's Ginger Soda for the first time...really just, circulates the ginger flavor all across my palette. Really enjoyed it.
    Vernors?
    Vernors?
    I missed the 6th letter.
  • Its all good. I'm actually kind of surprised you liked it because I've heard that a lot of people who didn't grow up drinking it really don't like it, and find it bitter.
  • Irn-Bru is a king amongst sodas.
  • Dr. Pepper is the best of all sodas. Short of that, I like a drink called "The Drink of Death." It is every soda available (except diet sodas because they all taste like laundry detergent) and some juices poured into one glass/mug/keg/what have you. Though I enjoy it, none of my friends do. As such, whenever someone says they want "whatever" or "anything" to drink, I serve them that. One friend is infamous for not learning his lesson.
  • Short of that, I like a drink called "The Drink of Death." It is every soda available (except diet sodas because they all taste like laundry detergent) and some juices poured into one glass/mug/keg/what have you.
    Certain Chicago restaurants serve that. We call it a Suicide.