This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Soda Soda!

Comments

• We call it a Suicide.
  • Oh excuse me, were you guys talking about soda?

• I've heard of exactly 0 of those.
  • The one of the far right is Sidral Mundet Green Apple if I am right. Otherwise no clue on the others.
  • I've had the Flathead Lakes, Dog n Suds, and Mundet. They are all excellent; DnS is my second favorite root beer behind Goose Island.
  • I want to find that blood orange soda. I prefer fruit sodas and I have never tried a blood orange soda.
  • edited October 2011
    DnS is my second favorite root beer behind Goose Island.
    Dog n Suds is the best root beer I've ever had, and I've tried literally dozens of different root beers by now, so I'm very interested to seek that one out now.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited October 2011
    DnS is my second favorite root beer behind Goose Island.
    Dog n Suds is the best root beer I've ever had, and I've tried literally dozens of different root beers by now, so I'm very interested to seek that one out now.
    It's pretty awesome, but Goose Island Brewery sold its rights to Anheuser-Busch, a bunch of brewers quit, and so their sodas might be done for. Shame, because the brewmaster who worked on them was a genius. Their orange cream was spectacular as well.

EDIT: They're apparently still being made.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I've had Mundet before. It may have been the brand that made a really good apple (not green apple) soda. I haven't been able to find it since, and all of the other apple soda's I've found taste like shit.
  • Short of that, I like a drink called "The Drink of Death." It is every soda available (except diet sodas because they all taste like laundry detergent) and some juices poured into one glass/mug/keg/what have you.
    Certain Chicago restaurants serve that. We call it a Suicide.
    In New Jersey too.
  • Mundet's red apple soda is great too, but I prefer the green apple.
  • Think I'ma make my asskicking rootbeer again. More asses require kicking.
  • My friend and I have actually been talking about getting into soda making. We were going to try a few different recipes for root beers and vanilla cream sodas to see if we can get a feel for it, and I dug up your recipe as one for us to try.
  • My friend and I have actually been talking about getting into soda making. We were going to try a few different recipes for root beers and vanilla cream sodas to see if we can get a feel for it, and I dug up your recipe as one for us to try.
    Just a warning: sassafrass root bark contains a safrole, a known carcinogen. In small quantities, it probably won't hurt you. If you plan to regularly consume that recipe, I recommend trying to find a safrole-free extract, or using wintergreen instead.
  • Don't sassafras roots make you trip balls?
  • You should go and find out. FOR SCIENCE!
  • So I want to brew some soda... Do the people here that make homemade soda have a site the use for recipies? I would like to try making a pumpkin soda or a pumpkin cream soda.
  • I would like to try making a pumpkin soda or a pumpkin cream soda.
    Might want to start a bit simpler. Try an herbal tonic or a lemonade. Ferment naturally to carbonate!
  • edited October 2011
    I used to make my own soda. The last time I did it was about 7 years ago...You would probably not want to ferment naturally. Then you do not know what kind of yeast is getting into it and could have a weird taste.. It is better to start it fermenting by adding a yeast.
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
  • That's what natural fermentation is; fermentation by yeast addition. It's easier than forcing gas into your finished soda.
  • edited October 2011
    Natural fermentation is when you allow the brew to ferment on its own, without introduction of yeast. And they sell small widgets that you can put into each bottle that add carbonation to it. They are like the ones in Guinness bottles.
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
  • edited October 2011
    And they sell small widgets that you can put into each bottle that add carbonation to it.
    Why would you spend money on that? Fermented stuff like Fentiman's has a more interesting taste.

Also, natural fermentation isn't all bad. It's how we make sourdough, and how some people make hard cider.
  • Mmmmm Stewart's Orange Creme soda.
  • I bought a pumpkin pie soda yesterday. Haven't had it yet.
  • I bought a pumpkin pie soda yesterday. Haven't had it yet.
    Want!
  • Do the people here that make homemade soda have a site the use for recipies?
    Here ya go.
  • Is there a place that sells all different types of uncommon sodas online?
  • edited October 2011
    Is there a place that sells all different types of uncommon sodas online?
    Galco's web site. Sail goes regularly and says the owner's a great guy, and it's high up there on my list of places to visit when I get to California. I highly recommend Fentiman's, Dog n Suds Root Beer, and Sweet Blossom Rose Petal soda.
  • Thank you, good sir.
  • edited October 2011
    Is it just me, or does Dr. Pepper suddenly have the stupidest advertising ever?
    Dr. Pepper is Not For Women
    I saw this commercial while we were in a restaurant watching football and we were all like "Wait, what?"
    It's so over the top sexist that it is like a parody of sexism. If not for the fact that I don't give the public enough credit to not take it seriously and not go "hells yeah!" I would almost think they were employing a strong irony. But no, I think they are at least 70% serious. Poe's Law kicks into effect.
    Highlight of the campaign: A Facebook page that only men can sign up for, which features a shooting gallery game where they shoot "girly stuff" like high heels and lipstick. Yay mens! Go destroy those symbols of the artificial femininity imposed on the sex class that you created in the first place!
    Post edited by gomidog on