This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Soda Soda!

Comments

• edited November 2011
    If you cannot get Goose Island Root Beer, I can confirm that Dog n Suds is otherwise the best root beer ever made. Period.
    Once again, you've not tried Pete's Ass-Kicking Root Beer.
    I dunno man. I do not doubt your skills, but Dog n Suds sets the bar pretty goddamn high. It's like the World Wide Stout of root beers.

Goose Island is BrewDog's The End of History.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Dog n Suds has high fructose corn syrup though!
  • IBC is my root beer AND cream soda of choice. Yes, I'm standard like that.
    Doesn't Matter; Had Suds.

I believe your specific request was to "get fat" off of delicious soda, so quit your whining.

I believe your specific request was to "get fat" off of delicious soda, so quit your whining.

Brofist. Also, remind me to ship you some Goose Island if you haven't had it by the time I get back to Chicago.

• edited November 2011
    Dog n Suds has high fructose corn syrup though!

Brofist. Also, remind me to ship you some Goose Island if you haven't had it by the time I get back to Chicago.

Yes, please. Galco's doesn't have it.

Post edited by Sail on
  • Found some delicious pumpkin pie soda at Wegmans. Highly recommended.
  • I actually had that a couple weeks ago. Kind of reminded me of spicy gumdrops.
  • Does anyone have any recommendations of a good alcoholic ginger beer?
    My favorite is Gosling's.
  • Does anyone know if that Asain grocery stores carry Asain sodas?
  • Does anyone know if that Asain grocery stores carry Asain sodas?
    Yes, but none that would be helpful to you.
  • edited November 2011
    Wait. The sodas won't be helpful? Or the stores cause you live in crazy, every-animal-here-is-designed-by-evolution-to-try-to-kill-me-land.
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
  • Ramune is overrated. There, I said it.
  • edited November 2011
    Ramune is overrated. There, I said it.
    I agree. And for the most part, Asian groceries don't carry sodas, they've got other drinks like aloe, sugar cane juice, or any number of weird regular fruit juices.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • Asian groceries don't carry sodas.
    Here, they carry American soda's. Root beer, Cream soda, Mountain Dew and the like.
  • Ramune is overrated. There, I said it.
    I would agree, put pushing that marble out is so much fun that it's worth it.

• edited November 2011
    Asian groceries don't carry sodas.
    Here, they carry American soda's. Root beer, Cream soda, Mountain Dew and the like.
    ^ I suck at writing comments, and then double checking. I'd fix it, but I'd be destroying valuable content.
    Post edited by Bronzdragon on
  • edited December 2011
    So I'm altering my Pete's Ass-Kicking Root Beer Recipe tonight.

It is now "Pete's Further Ass-Kicking Root Beer: Now With 50% More Asses Kicked"

1.5 oz sassafras root bark
    1.5 oz sasaparilla root
    3/4 oz licorice root
    1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
    3/4 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp salt
    3/4 tsp allspice
    3/4 tsp ginger
    1/4 tsp ground cloves
    12 juniper cones (berries), lightly crushed
    1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
    3 tbsp cocoa nibs, coarsely ground
    3 cups honey
    1/2 cup molasses (NOT blackstrap)
    4 oz raisins
    4 lbs demarara sugar
    4 tbsp maltodextrin
    2 whole vanilla beans

5 quarts water

Start by pouring 5 quarts of cold water into a large stockpot and note the level of the liquid on the pot. Add everything up to and including the cocoa powder to the water - do not add any of the sugars yet. Bring the water/spice/root mixture up to a boil, and boil for 30 minutes.

After the 30 minutes, add everything else except the vanilla bean, stirring to dissolve. Bring the mixture back up to a boil and hold for ~30 minutes. or until the level of the boiling liquid is roughly back to where it started.

Once you've hit that mark, remove the pot from heat. Split and scrape out the insides of the two vanilla beans, and put them in the pot of hot syrup. Allow the vanilla bean to steep as the syrup cools for about an hour.

Filter the syrup through cheesecloths to remove as many particulates as possible. Store in mason jars or ziploc bags, and dilute at a rate of 1:3 or 1:4 syrup:water. You can use seltzer if you want immediate carbonation, or you can be a nutjob like me and carbonate the stuff naturally with champagne yeast.

Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Thought you advised against sassafras use, Pete?
  • Thought you advised against sassafras use, Pete?
    I still do. But I make this so rarely that I'm willing to roll with it.

• Not much of a soda drinker, but I at times may have some ginger ale, or if there's Kola Román at my house (red cola soda... Only available here), I'll mix it with some Coke. That way, it tastes a bit like cherry cola, only better.
  • Hey Sail, did you ever use that root beer syrup? What did you think?
  • I did, but I don't think it managed to ferment correctly, even after several days, so I unfortunately didn't get to try it with any real carbonation, which was upsetting. The taste was certainly strong and super bold, but I don't feel like I can really accurately rate it since I wasn't able to drink very much of it.
  • I found out Cheerwine sorbet exist. I need to get to the south more often.
  • edited February 2012
    Does anyone know if that Asain grocery stores carry Asain sodas?
    I don't know any Asain groceries. If you live in the NYC area, I know several Asian Groceries, however. Melon soda and weird flavors of CocaCola are all that I can come up with, though. Most soft drinks are not carbonated, like Qoo and Calpis. Japanese people by and large don't like root beer. Dr. Pepper has been a little more popular with nerds because of anime tie-ins lately, but regardless, the most you will typically get is Cola-type.
    There was a weird grapefruit soda called "Mets!" Rym recommended against getting it because "halfway through, it would start sucking."
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Tim, just order from Galco's. They have every type of soda on earth and ship nationwide!
  • Tim, just order from Galco's. They have every type of soda on earth and ship nationwide!
    This! Though I'm not sure that everything they have is listed on their website, so if you're looking for something specific that you don't see there, I'd suggest giving them a call.
  • I was gonna chime in and profess my love for Postobon Manzana, but then after skimming through the thread I realized I did exactly that exactly one year ago.
    Considering that, I will now profess my love for the second greatest soda of all time:
    Oh yes.

Though it sucks that I still haven't found a place in Manhattan that sells Colombian soda.

Best citrus soda.