This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fans of Street Fighter, what're your thoughts on Yomi?

edited February 2011 in Board Games
So I've been following Yomi for a while now, and I received the game a few weeks ago. I really enjoy it, and it's been all over the Hotness on BGG recently. I'm quite surprised there have been no discussions here or on the Geeknights shows. Has anybody else tried it? Tom Vasel called it his #1 game of last year. Pretty high praise indeed.

FWIW, you can play online for free here: www.fantasystrike.com/dev
Rules located here (see link on the right): http://www.sirlingames.com/collections/yomi

I just can't get enough of this game. I'm headed up to Totalcon (Mansfield Mass) to play in a tourny there hosted by The Dice Tower. I will be submitting a request to run a tournament at Connecticon this year myself, hopefully with prizes from the designer.

Comments

• Yomi was alright, liked Sakaki better.
  • This is a very old idea. Here's one example of this kind of game that I've actually played. http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/392/brawl. I won't know if Yomi is good or bad without playing it.
  • edited February 2011
    I wasn't trying to present it as a new idea, but it is very well executed. The designer was a competitive fighting game champion and has since balanced the XBox 360 version of SSF2. I think the Art in Yomi is also done by one of the guys behind the Street Fighter art. It certainly looks that way.

I am not a fan of the art theme in that Brawl game myself. But then again there's a lot of people who don't like the Yomi art, and I just can't understand that:

When I saw this I was blown away. Now there's people saying he spent too much on Art and they would have preferred less professional art so the game would be cheaper :\
    Yomi was alright, liked Sakaki better.
    Can you link? I couldn't find anything by that name on BGG.
    Post edited by Bridger on
  • I think the Art in Yomi is also done by one of the guys behind the Street Fighter art. It certainly looks that way.
    That's definitely some Udon artings.
  • Can you link? I couldn't find anything by that name on BGG.
    Yomi

Sakaki
  • Ah, he was making a joke. Got it. Thought he was comparing it to another game I would have to look into :)
  • I actually bought the full set of Yomi and was pretty happy with the game. The one real problem I had with the game was how the characters had some really bad matchups with certain other characters. (ex: the block character going up against the through character). And in some other cases where you REALLY need to read your opponent consistently (DeGray: the dodge character). But otherwise, I can't wait for the expansion coming up and see waht ELSE they could do with the game.