This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Let's Play

edited February 2011 in Video Games
Out of the blue, I've decided that my days as a mere consumer of media are at an end. I must create!

As a first project, I've decided to create some Let's Play videos of obscure games, starting with Shores of Hazeron, a game I've posted about on the forum before. The first video, a brief and far from comprehensive look at my current game, is embedded below.

oqLVGLKhm5A

I'm going to do a whole series on the game, but before I do that I want some harsh feedback on what I've done so far. So, let me have it with both barrels. Also, let me know which games you'd like to see me cover in future series.

Comments

• Seemed like a decent commentary on a terrible game. I'm not even sure what you were looking at at the end of it. Were you even standing on ground?

So, since you named this Let's Play, can everyone post Let's Plays that they've made? I recently started on one, but I'm stil working out the video. I can't find a good format to export it in for youtube. Anyone have any thoughts? This is crazy too compressed.

In any case, I'll also take criticism and the like. :D

• Seemed like a decent commentary on a terrible game.
    If by terrible you mean it looks terrible, then I don't completely disagree, but when your character stands on a moon of a gas giant and you watch the huge planet rise overhead, it's really spectacular.
    I'm not even sure what you were looking at at the end of it. Were you even standing on ground?
    Well, I did say that I had landed the ship on the planet. And then when I got out of the ship I said I was standing on the surface. So, yes. :P But I get what you mean, it was really dark ground. If I had landed on a sunny part of the planet it would have been more obvious, but, alas, it wasn't to be.
    I can't find a good format to export it in for youtube. Anyone have any thoughts? This is crazy too compressed.
    I record with either FRAPS or Hypercam 2, in an uncompressed, raw video format. It takes a huge amount of HDD space, but you can then convert it with (if the watermark on my video didn't give it away) AVS video converter, which has a Youtube setting for compression. For my video, it turned about 20gb of raw video into a roughly 250mb avi (h.264 video, mp3 audio) file optimised for Youtube.
    In any case, I'll also take criticism and the like. :D
    Seemed fine as far as content goes, and the clarity of your voice was perfect. On the technical side, there was a lot of constant scratchy noise, either the mic or the keyboard. Maybe hitting keys on the keyboard is sending vibrations into the mic (is it a desk mic or headset?). If it's a desk mic, I've heard that putting some putty or similar between the mic and the desk will help reduce that kind of noise.
  • @VhdBlood: Did you say you were playing Morrowind in the beginning of that video? It is clearly Oblivion that you are playing. You correct yourself later on. I think you should sing, in response to your request in the video.
  • In any case, I'll also take criticism and the like. :D
    For a start, You're playing Oblivion, not Morrowwind.
  • In any case, I'll also take criticism and the like. :D
    For a start, You're playing Oblivion, not Morrowwind.
    Are you sure you want to open that oil tanker full of wurms?
  • Are you sure you want to open that oil tanker full of wurms?
    VhdBlood just misspoke, but I agree with this statement in either interpretation. FUCK DA TES4 POLICE.
  • FUCK DA TES4 POLICE.
    STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM
  • STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM
  • 1) Put on Grey Cowl
    2) Stab Watchman to death with Blade of Woe
    3) ????
    4)

• OK, I've made the first set of videos in my Let's Play series. I'll embed the first one below, and if you want to see the rest you can go to YouTube.

• So, I've been watching this LP of Daikatana. I think I can almost understand the disappointment.

I've been thinking of doing some LPs of some games. Any suggestions about capturing video and audio? Or is it just "Use FRAPS and WMM to dub over it at the end"?