This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

FRCF: a clean, well lighted place.

edited February 2011 in Everything Else
When I start to feel dismayed about what is passing for news, I come here. For whatever reason, it was just a garden variety old school war on drugs piece from our local rag that did it. Immediately, I am rewarded by reading a thread that turns me on to Transmetropolitan which I have somehow missed but which seems extraordinarily relevant this morning. I'll be getting the trades.

Slashdot is supposed to be News that Matters. But there are very few places that a guy like me can find truth. Thankfully, this forum is one of them.

But there are other folks like me out there, definitely this guy:
6hKG5l_TDU8

Comments

• The FRCF: an ivory tower standing alone in a sea of shit.
    So now the question: how do we construct other towers in this sea?
  • edited February 2011
    The FRCF: an ivory tower standing alone in a sea of shit.
    We spread and do what scrym did: Be timelessly awesome on the internet, create a community around that awesomeness, and then the community itself will be full of cool and awesome people. The key would be to construct bridges between these ivory towers so that no one will ever need to care that theres a sea of shit; they can just walk across the bridges.

For example, The Johnny Wander audience is an example of another awesome community, but their community is only in the comments. If there was a forum there, I think it would be similar to ours in terms of quality.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
    Start with hovering bridges.
  • For example, The Johnny Wander audience is an example of another awesome community, but their community is only in the comments. If there was a forum there, I think it would be similar to ours in terms of quality.
    But we are about half of that community.
  • For example, The Johnny Wander audience is an example of another awesome community, but their community is only in the comments. If there was a forum there, I think it would be similar to ours in terms of quality.
    But we are about half of that community.
    Yeah, but we just provided the seed audience to spread the word to the new half, which will grow to the new 2/3rds, to the new 3/4ths, and so on.

Every new community needs a seed group, otherwise it might take years to grow. Geeknights, in 2005, only had the FRC as it's audience, but then they spread the word due to the podcasts awesomeness. Now, I found out about it in late 2006 though the Winamp podcast directory, but think about how many here came by word of mouth or who heard about their panels from current listeners?
  • Every new community needs a seed group, otherwise it might take years to grow. Geeknights, in 2005, only had the FRC as it's audience, but then they spread the word due to the podcasts awesomeness. Now, I found out about it in late 2006 though the Winamp podcast directory, but think about how many here came by word of mouth or who heard about their panels from current listeners?
    Huh, I just realized an interesting coincidence - the TWIT network also started in 2005.
  • the TWIT network also started in 2005
    Yep, and (to jump off of my previous point), how much of the TWiT community were old "Screensavers" fans? And how many TWiT fans became fans of Revision3? Internet awesomeness and stardom is, initially, a very incestuous game. But that initial sharing of communities is what creates an environment for external growth.
  • Is there really such a thing as an objective truth when humans talk about anything non-scientific? The best we can do is try and get perspectives from a variety of sources and then form our own opinion from those.

Still, I thank you FRCF for being here.
  • Is there really such a thing as an objective truth when humans talk about anything non-scientific?
    Everything is scientific.
  • Is there really such a thing as an objective truth when humans talk about anything non-scientific?
    Everything is scientific.
    If we want to make it yes, but does any news outlet do that at all?
  • FRCF: the only place on the internet where arguments end in hugs all around.