This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PSP Classics

edited February 2011 in Video Games
Might be getting a PSP soon and wanted to know what games I should be aware of.
I'm thinking of hitting up the PSX library (Portable Tombi, fuck yeah!) and download games to begin to space out my big purchases but also want to know if there's any good UMD games I can pick up cheap to add to that.

Instead of hacking my PSP straight away, I'm interested to see how much entertainment I can get for relatively little by buying second hand or old games (Pretty much what I've been doing on Steam.), though things like emulators and extra codec support might sway me.

Comments

• The SNES, Genesis, and NES support is flawless. Last I played my PSP, I was playing Super Mario RPG at a framerate of at least 60FPS. Beautiful.
  • Instead of hacking my PSP straight away,
    There's actually a pretty easy method to use on the newest firmware that requires simply lauching a particular game demo with a specific save file once before you run any homebrew software.
  • Instead of hacking my PSP straight away,
    There's actually a pretty easy method to use on the newest firmware that requires simply lauching a particular game demo with a specific save file once before you run any homebrew software.
    Link? I might actually play my PSP again...
  • Alright, hacking it is then. Turns out someone got the root keys, so you don't even need exploits any more.
  • edited February 2011
    Alright, hacking it is then. Turns out someone got the root keys, so you don't even need exploits any more.
    Link? (Yeah, sorry, I'm in class and am a lazy motherfucker.)
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • It's on Wikipedia you jive-ass motherfucker! And here's some how-tos.

Wooaah, someone's ported MPlayer to it with network playing.
  • I recommend this program to convert ps1 games to the psp. It worked with most of the games I tried except for FF7.
  • edited February 2011
    Instead of hacking my PSP straight away,
    Link? I might actually play my PSP again...
    Alright, hacking it is then. Turns out someone got the root keys, so you don't even need exploits any more.
    Hold on, I have it somewhere...

Groovetacular.
    Post edited by Neito on
  • Man I'm still on CFW 3.5 I think. I don't know how I should go about upgrading.
  • There's an even easier method to enable homebrew if you're on 6.20.

There's also a "homebrew signer" that will enable many homebrews to run on their own without an enabler on any PSP (here's a list of already signed homebrews).
  • The only thing that makes me want to buy a PSP is the fact that NIS seems to only release their portable games for it.
  • NIS did do a version of Disagaea for the DS, but that's about all I can remember coming out on it.
    As for good PSP games, the best PSP game I have played so far is Motorstorm: Arctic Edge, it's an arcadey off road racing game. F1 2009 is an enjoyable simulation of F1, but if you're not into it, then it will be no fun for you. The same is true of the MLB: the Show series. Great baseball games, but not for people who aren't into baseball. Soul Caliber: Broken Destiny is an amazingly good port of Soul Caliber 4 to PSP, that and Motorstorm are the best looking games I've seen on the system. I've enjoyed a couple other games on it, there's a good version of Bust A Move and the best version of the original Persona game you'll find stateside is on the PSP, but there are relatively few great games for it, in my opinion. Though my system is unhacked, I find it to be a good video player and in a pinch it's a decent mp3 player and is great for podcasts since you can download episodes directly onto the PSP from the feed.
  • Persona 3 Portable
    Monster Hunter Unite
    Half minute hero.
    Final Fantasy Tactics.

There are many, really. The PSP is a goldmine for TRPGs.
  • If you like Mega man you have to try out the Mega Man Maverick Hunter X very good remake of a very good game. Also Mega Man Powered Up if fine, but not that good of an remake in my opinion.

Z.H.P. is a modern and Japanese take on the roguelike genre.
    I personally liked Crisis Core and if you want some action-rpg action, try it out.
    Kindom Hearts Birth By Sleep might be the best Kingdom Hearts game yet.
    And if you are a Castlevania fan try out Castlevania The Dracula X Chronicles I say that it's my favourite old-school Castlevania.
  • And if you are a Castlevania fan try out Castlevania The Dracula X Chronicles I say that it's my favourite old-school Castlevania.
    I bought that, but I pretty much immediately downloaded a save file where SOTN was unlocked and played that because Dracula X is balls hard and SOTN is fucking awesome anyway.
  • I bought that, but I pretty much immediately downloaded a save file where SOTN was unlocked and played that because Dracula X is balls hard and SOTN is fucking awesome anyway.
    Isn't Dracula X the one on the Genesis where you can't even swing the whip in different directions? After Super Castlevania IV, SotN, and the DS games, I can't play a 2D Castlevania where I can't swing the whip all willy nilly. The original for the NES is the only exception.
  • I bought that, but I pretty much immediately downloaded a save file where SOTN was unlocked and played that because Dracula X is balls hard and SOTN is fucking awesome anyway.
    Isn't Dracula X the one on the Genesis where you can't even swing the whip in different directions? After Super Castlevania IV, SotN, and the DS games, I can't play a 2D Castlevania where I can't swing the whip all willy nilly. The original for the NES is the only exception.
    No, its the one one the Super Nintendo after Super Castlevania IV where you can't swing the whip all willy nilly. Thats another reason its hard for me to play. I loved doing that in IV so I have no idea why they got rid of it.
  • Isn't Dracula X the one on the Genesis where you can't even swing the whip in different directions? After Super Castlevania IV, SotN, and the DS games, I can't play a 2D Castlevania where I can't swing the whip all willy nilly. The original for the NES is the only exception.
    Yes, you can't swing the whip as you like, but the game is designed so that you only need to hit things that are in front of you. Saying something like that is like saying that one can't play Mega Man game without slide, it's nice thing to have in 3-8, but lack of it doesn't make 9 a bad Mega Man. And I'm thankful that I had no need to press diagonal directions in Dracula X, that PSP d-pad is horrible with diagonals.
    I bought that, but I pretty much immediately downloaded a save file where SOTN was unlocked and played that because Dracula X is balls hard and SOTN is fucking awesome anyway.
    Dracula X is hard, but also it gives out a great feeling of accomplishment when you finally realize that you have mastered the games (seemingly) simple mechanics and the game that was balls hard before is now walk in the park. Also playing sotn with the d-pad of original PSP is annoying, trying to hit diagonally down front or using spells is impossible with the d-pad.
  • Yes, you can't swing the whip as you like, but the game is designed so that you only need to hit things that are in front of you.
    I distinctly remember a lot of times in that game where I really really wanted to hit something that I couldn't because the whip was not free. My memory could be wrong, though.
  • Yes, you can't swing the whip as you like, but the game is designed so that you only need to hit things that are in front of you.
    A lot of times there are enemies that are above or below me that I would like to kill but cannot because my whip only goes forwards.
  • Your Mega Man example doesn't work because in Mega Man 2 there are no places you have to slide. There are no narrow cracks under walls. There are also no enemies who shoot things at a height that you can dodge by sliding underneath, except maybe the jumping walkers that you mostly see in Flash Man's stage. Mega Man 3, however, was built with the slide in mind.
  • Your Mega Man example doesn't work because in Mega Man 2 there are no places you have to slide. There are no narrow cracks under walls. There are also no enemies who shoot things at a height that you can dodge by sliding underneath, except maybe the jumping walkers that you mostly see in Flash Man's stage. Mega Man 3, however, was built with the slide in mind.
    Kinda like how Dracula X chronicles the game is designed with oneway whip in mind. It could be helpful in couple of situations kinda like how slide would be helpful in some places, but it's not needed. Also I think your memory serves you wrong Apreche. Dracula X chronicles is a remake of Rondo of the Blood witch was not released outside of japan originally. Except for an Snes port Dracula X which is a lot worse in almost every way.
  • Dracula X chronicles is a remake of Rondo of the Blood witch was not released outside of japan originally. Except for an Snes port Dracula X which is a lot worse in almost every way.
    The one I am remembering is definitely a Genesis game that was not released in the US, and I played it in an emulator. I'll be sure to check it out again when I get home late tonight.
  • The whipping around willy nilly would help a lot more in Castlevania than sliding would in Mega Man 9.
  • edited February 2011
    A quick trip to Blockbuster and acceptance I'll be b-roke for a week or so, and I'm the owner of a very shiny but somewhat used PSP-3003. No memory stick yet but I've got a friend who might have one.

Oddly, I'm yet to find a scratch on this, even the body-work. I may have got a Christmas return!
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Your best bet is probably buying one of these. I have one and 2 4gig micro sd cards and the thing works great.
  • Or just DealExtreme it. I got a 4 or 8 gig card for like 15 bucks.
  • Lumines
    The God of War games
    Patapon 1&2
    Syphon Filter (sp?)
    GTA stories
  • Your best bet is probably buying one of these. I have one and 2 4gig micro sd cards and the thing works great.
    I was looking at this on ebay this morning. Going to get that and a Hori screen guard then use my CycloDS's 8GB card.
    I was looking at this on ebay this morning. Going to get that and a Hori screen guard then use my CycloDS's 8GB card.
    I might just buy a couple of these if I were you, since my 8 gigs doesn't seem like enough. Also, I'm pretty sure the adapter puts information on the cards like a RAID 0 so if you added another one later it might mess it up, plus you would lose your ds micro sd card.

Also, UMD dumper is a good program to rip the psp games to your memory stick, and this is great for shrinking the size of the games.