This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Minecraft Contest: Tertius (READ FOR UPDATE)

Comments

• Yeah, I used to get that sort of stuff all the time. I used it to my advantage by being able to see where precious minerals were and digging down to them.
  • My first thought: "That's some MC Escher type shit right there."
  • EDIT: OKAY, that is apparently some sort of error. That chunk of my building is back.
    Don't fucking jump into those, while the game won't crash, most of the time you're stuck till you disconnect and reconnect.

However, taking screenshots to find minerals - Pretty much an excellent idea. I've figured out how to force a chunk error a reasonable portion of the time - It's how I found my mine, and pulled out some coal for sonic, as well as some redstone in Luke's adventureland on secondus. However, that same error kinda did trap me in luke's adventureland, so it's not without hazards.
  • Wouldn't it be better just to use a mapping tool than bug out the game?
  • Wouldn't it be better just to use a mapping tool than bug out the game?
    Well, the problem is that I can't use a mapping tool on Jason's server, because I don't have access to it as anything more than a player - though likely I'll quickly be proven wrong by someone finding a tool that does just that somehow - and I don't get chunk errors in my singleplayer world, because it's loading from my harddrive, not from jason's server, and the problems that cause chunk errors are therefore not possible.
  • Yeah, it looks like you're right; you don't have the option of saving multiplayer maps to your hard drive in any form. That's rather annoying, honestly.
  • Yeah, it looks like you're right; you don't have the option of saving multiplayer maps to your hard drive in any form. That's rather annoying, honestly.
    You'd think it'd be possible to copy the maps to the hard-drive as they're streamed to you, with a separate program.
  • edited March 2011
    Yes, it's definitely possible through interception of the data either as packets or from memory, either by modifying the client or with a separate program.
    However, it would be a lot of effort to write, and, more importantly, it shouldn't be necessary...
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Tertius is now running via Craftbukkit. This (hopefully) means better memory management and the ability to expand some functionality.
  • Tertius will now tell you who is online when you log in.
  • Boats now work near-perfectly. They still turn a bit hard, but exiting them no longer causes massive glitching. Enjoy your faster travel. Please do not go too far from spawn.
  • Players may now carry torches that give off light. To use a torch, press shift and right-click while holding the torch. It remains lit for one minute, until you select another tool, or until you go underwater.
  • You may now gift materials to other players within 5000 blocks of you without having to walk to them. Type /gift playername itemcode quantity

Example: /gift destrucci 20 64
    would give destrucci 64 glass blocks from your inventory.

Item code list.
  • You may now use /sethome and /home.

This allows you to set a place that you can easily teleport back to in order to save time/rescue yourself if you are lost.
  • It is now permanent day. Happy building.
  • The size of the map has been limited. It extends 850 blocks in the four cardinal directions from the spawn point. When you reach the invisible border, you will get a message telling you that you can't go any farther. This is to regulate the size of the server files and keep it manageable for everyone. It prevents some of the issues we had on earlier server incarnations where one person would walk 4000 blocks in one direction and lag everything out.
  • There is now a portal gate at spawn that will take you to Dark Harbor (my construction site). DO NOT attempt to create portals yourself. Let me know if you want one, and we'll talk.
  • Can I get white-listed?

Minecraft name is: DevilUknow
  • edited March 2011
    Admins: Your magic feathers are back. Today is a day of much rejoicing.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Yay magic feathers!
  • edited March 2011
    Isometric layout of Tertius. (6.3Mb)

EDIT: Ack! I guess Photobucket scaled it way the shit down. I'll have to find another solution when I get home from work.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Hey, could I be whitelisted? The name's Yoshokatana.

Also, how are you liking CraftBukkit? What plugins are you using?
  • Ah, my pyramid is nothing but a small square in the map. But soon it will be a mighty desert temple.

Does anyone have extra sand to gift me?
  • Hey, could I be whitelisted? The name's Yoshokatana.
    As soon as I get home from work tonight, unless some other admin wants to do it first.
    Also, how are you liking CraftBukkit? What plugins are you using?
    Any server wrapper is better than Vanilla, although Notch made some great improvements in the past three months (notably whitelisting to prevent griefing). CraftBukkit has better threading but could use a better interface (it's all text, and no notification for who is online). Scripting to customize plugins is incredibly easy, though I wish I knew something about Java so I could tweak some of them. The problem I have right now is that plugins need to do one thing at a time, rather than offer a suite of shit I don't want along with one feature I do want.

So far I'm using:

- AutoMessage to post hints every five minutes (customizable interval).
    - BorderGuardLite to set boundaries and keep the filesizes managed.
    - Noon to set the time to permanent day (you can also set to permanent night, sunrise, or sunset).
    - PlgSetspawn to allow ops to use /setspawn and /spawn.
    - SendGift to allow users to trade from their inventories.
    - SimpleHome to allow /sethome and /home.
    - Stargate to set up point-to-point portals.
    - TorchBurn to carry torches that give off light (I will probably junk this, though).
    - WelcomeMe gives a customizable message on login, including a list of players online.

There are some others I'm considering, such as one that will allow us to have NPCs that can assign quests or goals. I would like to see more players jump on board, and then we could maybe even have some special events.
  • Yeah, I thought so. You've been whitelisted for a long time now, Yosho.

Also, apologies to DevilUKnow. I listed you, then forgot to reload the list into the server. You should be good now.
  • Oh, huh. Cool beans.
  • Here is a screen cap of Tertius from the highest point I could get to.
    Tertius

Oh and who made this tunnel? It goes through a tunnel of mine and under the top part of my base.
    who tunnel is this?
  • I do not remember touching on anyone else's tunnels, but you never know. In the eventuality where I have stumbled upon another mine, I will usually wall up my newly-made entry with a door and plant a sign nearby to mark my 'visit'. Also, my giant terrarium has consumed a huge amount of sand for glass. Apologies for the 3 open-cut sand mines nearby being developed and depleted.
  • That Bio Dome is pretty impressive. Nice job.