This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Minecraft Contest: Tertius (READ FOR UPDATE)

Comments

• Alright, Green Glade orchard is complete. It is the large extremely dense forest near spawn. It is not for harvesting, it is for exploring, treat it with respect and make sure to set a spawn outside when you enter.
  • Random Warning - Don't set your personal spawn standing on a bed. It will freak the game right the fuck out, and you will suffocate and die.
  • Random Warning - Don't set your personal spawn standing on a bed. It will freak the game right the fuck out, and you will suffocate and die.
    As of the 1.4 update, sleeping in a bed sets your home there. This could have something to do with that glitch.
  • Fuck you, George. Fuck you.

I am so glad I didn't have this game in college.

Anyhow, I'm TheWhaleShark (a-duh). Can I get a whitelist?

Also, question: I'm looking at the map, and I see some awesome snowy areas that appear to be uninhabited. Are those outside of the borders, because that one with the lava pool looks fucking awesome.
  • Also, question: I'm looking at the map, and I see some awesome snowy areas that appear to be uninhabited. Are those outside of the borders, because that one with the lava pool looks fucking awesome.
    Thats within the 850 block radius from spawn I think
  • As of the 1.4 update, sleeping in a bed sets your home there. This could have something to do with that glitch.
    That has not been my experience.
    Fuck you, George. Fuck you.

I am so glad I didn't have this game in college.

Anyhow, I'm TheWhaleShark (a-duh). Can I get a whitelist?

Also, question: I'm looking at the map, and I see some awesome snowy areas that appear to be uninhabited. Are those outside of the borders, because that one with the lava pool looks fucking awesome.
    As far as I know it is still uninhabited.
  • That has not been my experience.
    Meh, it was in the release notes.
  • I'm gedavids, can I get whitelisted as well?
  • As far as I know it is still uninhabited.
    Dibs!

I really want to build the face of my fortress into that cliff, and make it obsidian. I think I'll first build it all out of stone, and slowly build up the obsidian reserve. Once I have it sculpted, I'll just systematically replace stone with obsidian. Also, I can have a tower on that island. Score!

Fuck this game so much.
  • Also, I can have a tower on that island. Score!
    Yeah, that island looks perfect for building something cool on.
  • I must stay away. I must stay away. Must lose interest. Must lose interest.
  • There is a reason I'm not playing with all of you. It is not out of lack of desire. It is will.
  • edited April 2011
    Yeah, that island looks perfect for building something cool on.
    I'm thinking a signal tower, made of obsidian, with a lava flow pouring from the top. Maybe a giant clenched fist pouring lava.
    There is a reason I'm not playing with all of you. It is not out of lack of desire. It is will.
    See, George and I made a pact: I play Minecraft, he watches MLP. I've been avoiding the game because holy fucking hell am I too obsessive. But I'm a man of my word, and dammit, I will follow through.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • See, George and I made a pact: I play Minecraft, he watches MLP. I've been avoiding the game because holy fucking hell am I too obsessive. But I'm a man of my word, and dammit, I will follow through.
    Watching MLP was a small price to pay to get Pete into this. :P
  • My fervor for Minecraft has stayed pretty constant. I have a lot of creative juices, and while I work a creative job, there's a lot of LEGO that needs exorcised from my mind each night when I get home. This game satisfies that need.
  • Watching MLP was a small price to pay to get Pete into this. :P
    You just wait. You'll be a brony soon enough.

You realize that you have to watch MLP as long as I'm playing MC, right? This will eventually become a test of endurance.
  • edited April 2011
    I'm getting frequent CTD's in single player with the new update. It seems to kick in when I am harvesting anything. I can walk in any direction for a long long time, and no crash, but if I start cutting down trees, instant CTD.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • You realize that you have to watch MLP as long as I'm playing MC, right? This will eventually become a test of endurance.
    Not really, there are only so many episodes before I've seen them all. The season is nearly over, isn't it?
  • You realize that you have to watch MLP as long as I'm playing MC, right? This will eventually become a test of endurance.
    Not really, there are only so many episodes before I've seen them all. The season is nearly over, isn't it?
    There will be another season, George. You have to watch that too.
  • There will be another season, George. You have to watch that too.
    I understand that.
  • edited April 2011
    I'm thinking a signal tower, made of obsidian, with a lava flow pouring from the top. Maybe a giant clenched fist pouring lava.
    I found a damn near obscene amount of obsidian down in my mines.

Other things I have done lately - Dug all the way down to the bedrock, and walked the edge of the map, all the way around(I think).
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited April 2011
    I found a damn near obscene amount of obsidian down in my mines.
    See, I'm going to use that lava pool to set up an obsidian farm.

Of course, I need a diamond pick to get the obsidian, and I need iron picks to get diamond. And of course, I need to find diamond, which means I'm going to be digging goddamn deep. So first things first, get iron.

Hey, did Jason turn on mobs on this server?
  • Hey, did Jason turn on mobs on this server?
    No. Not yet.
  • I found a damn near obscene amount of obsidian down in my mines.
    See, I'm going to use that lava pool to set up an obsidian farm.

Of course, I need a diamond pick to get the obsidian, and I need iron picks to get diamond. And of course, I need to find diamond, which means I'm going to be digging goddamn deep. So first things first, get iron.

Hey, did Jason turn on mobs on this server?
    Let me know when you are on and maybe we can do some team digging. I wouldn't mind helping you in your lava/fist creation. Also consider that the ground is very deep, and you could conceivably build the entire tower underground in a massive cavern. Or even better, have it spire out of a giant hole and rise into the sky, essentially going from bedrock to the upper sky limit.

Granted, you'll never get enough obsidian to do it, but still...
  • edited April 2011
    Granted, you'll never get enough obsidian to do it, but still...
    Does an obsidian farm ever go dry?

My plan is to run a spring on top of the lava pool. That should create a layer of obsidian. Then I enclose the obsidian "cap," and run water onto that. It'll have to be mined in the water, but hypothetically, I would mine an obsidian block, which would open a hole to the lava pool, which would then fill with water and turn back to obsidian. Infinite obsidian.

EDIT: Ah, no, the lava blocks turn into the obsidian, not the water blocks. I guess that makes sense. So, no infinite obsidian for me. Though I guess I could always leave part of the pool uncapped and get buckets of lava from the source blocks.
    No. Not yet.
    OK, good.

I have to say, I find the mobs to be more irritating than actually threatening. Most of the times I've died in my offline game have been because I fell from a precarious perch while doing some ridiculous constructing. Once I got a bow, most things stopped being a problem.

Does that also mean there are no neutral/tamed mobs? No sheep?
  • Jason, can you update the isometric map of the server?
  • It's easy to get infinite obsidian. Take the portal to hell with a bucket of water. Create a waterfall in the sulfur that flows into a giant lava pool.
  • It's easy to get infinite obsidian. Take the portal to hell with a bucket of water. Create a waterfall in the sulfur that flows into a giant lava pool.
    If you just need a water flow into a lava pool, then I can do that without going to hell, since I have a pool of lava right there.
    If you just need a water flow into a lava pool, then I can do that without going to hell, since I have a pool of lava right there.
    Hell has bigger lava pools.
  • Hell has bigger lava pools.
    Wouldn't you still eventually convert all the lava to obsidian?