This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Credit Cards

Comments

• My card companies routinely ask to raise my limit, to which I say no.
    You should say yes. Higher credit limit equals better credit score. At least that's what my Aunt told me and she's a realtor so she deals with them fairly often.
    This is definitely true
  • My card companies routinely ask to raise my limit, to which I say no. Also, lenders don't care how much of your card limit you use -- they care how quickly and surely you pay it off.
    I've actually have asked my CC company to raise my limit several times, to which they say no, despite never missing a payment ever.
  • edited February 2011
    I've actually have asked my CC company to raise my limit several times, to which they say no, despite never missing a payment ever.
    How frequently have you asked? Most CC companies will normally reevaluate your credit and payment history quarterly or biyearly before upping your credit limit. Sometimes some companies are yearly. It really depends.

I've had one card increase my limit twice without asking me and just saying "Hey, you're awesome so we raised your limit" on a statement.

Another credit card company told me after 6 months of good payment history they will increase my limit.

I'm all for them increasing my limit as long as the don't charge me a fee.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Actually asked them about every 6 -7 months or so. I got a $50.00 after my first 6 months with them as one of those "Hey you're awesome" limit increases. After that, nada, until about 2 months ago, and I've had the card since 2006. They increased it another $50.00.
  • My credit score is in the 800s. I get every loan I ask for. My payment history is perfect. I have two credit lines of $20,000 each. I do not need more. I do not want more. In fact, I am wary about having so much available to me. It can only lead to trouble.
  • My credit score is in the 800s. I get every loan I ask for. My payment history is perfect. I have two credit lines of $20,000 each. I do not need more. I do not want more. In fact, I am wary about having so much available to me. It can only lead to trouble.
    When you're too old to care, just get a huge pile of cash and RUN. That's my plan.
  • Obligatory:
    When you're too old to care, just get a huge pile of cash and RUN. That's my plan.
    If you've got living family members, that could present a problem for them.
  • If you've got living family members, that could present a problem for them.
    I don't plan to leave an inheritance to anyone anyway. My estate should sum out to near-zero upon my death. ;^)
    If you've got living family members, that could present a problem for them.
    I don't believe in inheritance. I think we should do away with it entirely.
  • I don't believe in inheritance. I think we should do away with it entirely.
    So you can't leave anything to anyone? Not even family photos or relics? Watches?
  • Posted By: AprecheI don't believe in inheritance. I think we should do away with it entirely.It's strange about which issues you pick to be democratic, and those about which you choose to be fascist.
  • I don't believe in inheritance. I think we should do away with it entirely.
    So you can't leave anything to anyone? Not even family photos or relics? Watches?
    I don't think that those things will be a problem. Your photo album has no value to the bank.
  • I don't think that those things will be a problem. Your photo album has no value to the bank.
    You said no inheritance.

Also, any physical object has an objective monetary value.
  • I don't think that those things will be a problem. Your photo album has no value to the bank.
    You said no inheritance.

Also, any physical object has an objective monetary value.
    It may theoretically have a monetary value, but nobody is going to buy it at an estate auction, so the bank doesn't want it.
  • What about an antique piece of furniture that has been in the family for generations and may have significant monetary value?
  • What about an antique piece of furniture that has been in the family for generations and may have significant monetary value?
    Give it as a gift before you die, and then I assume appropriate tax will be paid on that gift. Also, the only reason that antique piece of furniture has been in the family so long is because inheritance has existed. If it never existed, then that wouldn't be an issue.

Also, if something is truly antique and worthwhile, it would be better in a museum than your house.
  • Give it as a gift before you die
    So it's just a matter of giving all your stuff away before you die? Some loophole.

Your idea is ludicrous.
  • So it's just a matter of giving all your stuff away before you die? Some loophole.

Your idea is ludicrous.
    Large gifts will be taxed.
  • Large gifts will be taxed.
    They already are.
  • I just feel that eliminating the concept of inheritance entirely would result in a lot of funky issues. What happens if the old lady down the street dies? Since her relatives can't come and rightfully claim her stuff, is it just a free-for-all? Does the government or maybe some appointed charitable organization automatically get it to distribute as they see fit?

What about property?
  • They already are.
    Not if the total value of the estate is under a million dollars.
  • I just feel that eliminating the concept of inheritance entirely would result in a lot of funky issues. What happens if the old lady down the street dies? Since her relatives can't come and rightfully claim her stuff, is it just a free-for-all? Does the government or maybe some appointed charitable organization automatically get it to distribute as they see fit?

What about property?
    If the lady is so old, she has plenty of time to sort out her affairs in advance. The real problem is sudden and unexpected deaths.

As for what would happen, I think debtors get first dibs, and the state gets second dibs. Maybe we can even have a thing where you can pass on $X worth of specifically listed sentimental items tax free and then more than that with tax according to some progressive scale.

The main benefits I see are that such a system will eliminate a lot of nepotism in our society. Take something like a family that owns a sports team generation after generation. If they're taxed once every generation, either on the gift or the inheritance, eventually they'll sell it instead of keeping it. Dynasties are not so great.

Also, it can make up for the slowly failing social security program. How do we pay for these seniors? We sink a pile of money into them, and then they die and their kids take it all. If the state took the leftovers after you die, maybe the deficit would look pretty good. And you're only taxing dead people, so nobody alive has a reason to complain.
  • Your idea is poor for reasons too numerous to enumerate while I am still at work.
  • wow, this thread went down a weird and crazy path of people who don't know how all these laws work.
  • edited February 2011
    Maybe we can even have a thing where you can pass on $X worth of specifically listed sentimental items tax free
    THAT'S EXACTLY HOW IT WORKS RIGHT NOW!

Your will must enumerate the exact things you are leaving behind and to whom they go. The stipulation is that the whole thing is tax free as long as the net worth of the estate is under a million. At least, that's how New York works. Other states vary. At the federal level, it's a million the last I checked.

Maybe you could change it to a per-item value, but some of these things are really hard to assess.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Your idea is poor for reasons too numerous to enumerate while I am still at work.
  • wow, this thread went down a weird and crazy path of people who don't know how all these laws work.
    I liked it better when we were talking about sammiches.
    I liked it better when we were talking about sammiches.
    When I die, I will leave you a turkey leg sandwich.
  • edited February 2011
    Your idea is poor for reasons too numerous to enumerate while I still have time to do worthwhile and exciting things with my life.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on