This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Anime Boston 2011

Comments

• These people came to the con alone, but aren't social enough to actively meet new people to play with. They're lonely, so they still attend the con for mass companionship and the atmosphere, but don't directly interact with any strangers.
    That's exactly what I was thinking last year when I came to PAX and didn't do much. I got over it.
  • Finally got the press panel schedule. I get to hang out with Shinji! But I can't ask him for an autograph...
  • edited April 2011
    At PAX East I didn't get much time to play much tabletop gaming at all. Hopefully I'll be able to meet up with you guys so I can learn and play some of these games.
    What the heck were you doing?
    Yeah...I was kind of preoccupied (I still got a couple of hours in). There were a few things that happened. First I think I went to 9-10 panels (3 being yours). Second, I decided to play in the video game tournaments. Third, many of my friends wanted to try out the D&D; activities. Fourth, for some unknown reason I thought at the time it would be a good idea to carpool this with my friends because we were local. That ended up being an absolute mistake. I realized many of the friends I went with didn't actually care too much about many of the things that were happening at PAX and only cared about the expo hall. I had to fight tooth and nail with them at like 9:30 every night because they wanted to go home since the expo hall was down. Ultimately my number of PAX minutes were cut incredibly short and I spent a great deal of my free time having to be the responsible person and keep tabs on everyone. That was my first convention where I actually went any longer than just one day and the first time going with people so I ended up making a lot of mistakes and trying out a lot of different things. As I look back I should have probably done things much differently which I hope to actually do at Anime Boston. That is, unless I get caught up in panels again...which I probably will to some extent.
    Post edited by magnusrex on
  • That sounds like you didn't waste too much time. Panels and D&D are good uses of your time. Tournaments are good, but they involve a lot of waiting for your turn. What could your friends possibly do in the Expo Hall for that long? Even if you wait in every single line to play every single game, in less than a day you are going to see absolutely everything. I saw everything in there in just a handful of hours.
  • Fourth, for some unknown reason I thought at the time it would be a good idea to carpool this with my friends because we were local.
    I don't suppose you were in the Allston/Brighton/Sheraton carpool that I inadvertently crashed that Sunday morning? My car broke down and I ended up catching a ride with my neighbor Jason, whose mom Denise was driving him in with a bunch of others.
  • I'm ALWAYS amazed at the sheer number of individual people or tiny groups playing single player games for long periods of time at conventions. I see them at both gaming and anime conventions.
    I need a balance. I like hanging out on the beanbags and playing DS. It's a nice break in the socialization. Parallel play, as it were.
  • I'm ALWAYS amazed at the sheer number of individual people or tiny groups playing single player games for long periods of time at conventions. I see them at both gaming and anime conventions.
    I need a balance. I like hanging out on the beanbags and playing DS. It's a nice break in the socialization. Parallel play, as it were.
    It's pretty much playing with tons of people all the time for me. I can play alone at home!
  • No I wasn't thankfully. Being in an accident wouldn't have been too much fun.
    Heh, sorry, I didn't mean "crashed" like "caused an accident." More like, "Because they picked me up, somebody else ended up sitting on the floor in the back of the van."
    Heh, sorry, I didn't mean "crashed" like "caused an accident." More like, "Because they picked me up, somebody else ended up sitting on the floor in the back of the van."
    Ah I see. Well everyone I'm getting a quick warmup for Anime Boston this weekend. I'm currently visiting my cousin at RIT for a few days. He decided to surprise me by getting me a badge for Tora-Con which just so happens to be this weekend. So probably a few minutes after writing this post I'll be walking down to check it out.
  • Ah I see. Well everyone I'm getting a quick warmup for Anime Boston this weekend. I'm currently visiting my cousin at RIT for a few days. He decided to surprise me by getting me a badge for Tora-Con which just so happens to be this weekend. So probably a few minutes after writing this post I'll be walking down to check it out.
    Nice Wish I was there.
  • I had to leave early due to a dinner reservation but it was both fun and interesting. It's definitely gotten me more excited for Anime Boston.
  • Could someone please add me to the Beluga Pod? ultimohayabusa@gmail.com
  • Add me to the Beluga Pod as well, please, although I dunno how much I'll be able to join you due to being on staff.

Oh, and sorry for all the last minute panel schedule changes (though I'm not sure if it affects anyone here). Lots of cancellations and other crap. :(
  • Oh, and sorry for all the last minute panel schedule changes (though I'm not sure if it affects anyone here). Lots of cancellations and other crap. :(
    With the sheer amount of content you have I'm not surprised you have a lot of shifting and cancellations ^_^ I don't envy managing that many rooms.
  • Add me to the Beluga Pod as well, please, although I dunno how much I'll be able to join you due to being on staff.

Oh, and sorry for all the last minute panel schedule changes (though I'm not sure if it affects anyone here). Lots of cancellations and other crap. :(
    Hmm, looks like you've already been invited. Did you want an invite sent to an address other than the one at tealstudios.com?
  • edited April 2011
    Let me check my spam box. Maybe it got filed away in there.

Edit: Never mind... Thought I'd get an email like I did with the PAX invite. Fired up Beluga and I see myself there.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • Just signed up for Beluga, can I get an invite, Gundampilotspaz@gmail.com
  • Just signed up for Beluga, can I get an invite, Gundampilotspaz@gmail.com
    just sent it.
  • Add me. Email is in my profile.
  • Viga, you're in. Anyone else want in?
  • If I'm reading the times right, then live gaming isn't even open on Friday?!

Live Gaming:
    Sheraton: Constitution Ballroom
    Saturday 10am - 1am
    Sunday 10am - 4pm
  • edited April 2011
    If I'm reading the times right, then live gaming isn't even open on Friday?!

Live Gaming:
    Sheraton: Constitution Ballroom
    Saturday 10am - 1am
    Sunday 10am - 4pm
    That's true because there was a screw up in the rental contract. Basically, we had though we had booked the room until 2 AM on Friday. However, there was a typo on the contract that no one caught that said we only booked it until 2 PM. The Sheraton then happily rented the room to someone else from 2 PM to 2 AM.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    (And yet another lurking AB panelist comes out of the woodwork on FRC.)
  • Rumor has it that the Sheraton booked the live gaming room for some sort of 25th class reunion or something. I'd love to see the reactions of the folks trying to attend that event...
  • Rumor has it that the Sheraton booked the live gaming room for some sort of 25th class reunion or something. I'd love to see the reactions of the folks trying to attend that event...
    I love when these things happen at multicon places. The fun! The freaking out!
    I'm sure someone there will be willing to play some Dominion with me.
    I imagine their faces will look much like those of the participants in the National Bass Fishing event co-located with ConnectiCon one year.
  • So, Will and I are rolling in Thursday afternoon. Even after meals, getting settled in, and all that, we'll have stupid amounts of time for gaming. Anyone want to plan something specific now, or just "see what happens"?