This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Otakon 2011

Comments

• Most volunteer convention staff just don't even check their e-mail period, ever. Even PAX people are inconsistent. Sometimes they reply immediately from their Blackberry. Other times you just never get a response. There's no way to predict it.
    Hmm, which might explain why I'm not staff for any conventions anymore. I stopped putting up with that bullshit.
    Oh I just remembered, one of the artist alley people at Zenkaikon was wearing one of your tentacle shirts Nuri ^_^ (she was a fan of your podcast and such)
    Yay! Wait, people still remember that podcast? It hasn't updated in like... 2 years.
    Oh I just remembered, one of the artist alley people at Zenkaikon was wearing one of your tentacle shirts Nuri ^_^ (she was a fan of your podcast and such)
    I actually saw someone in the AA at zenkaikon selling very similar shirts, but they were lower quality.
    Probably that Robyn chick who tried to give me shit for "copying her copyrighted design." Which is not the same as mine, even if I had known about it ahead of time, and I think mine is better. So she can die in a fire.
  • Hmm, which might explain why I'm not staff for any conventions anymore. I stopped putting up with that bullshit.
    Eh, I have to say working to put on a convention you've started from the beginning can be very rewarding even if there is a shit ton of BS to deal with. The best thing to do when staffing a convention is hedge out a piece of the convention you care about and just work to make it perfect while ignoring all other aspects.
  • Yay! Wait, people still remember that podcast? It hasn't updated in like... 2 years.
    True facts, you are the reason I met "Mankoon" and now she works at my studio. Also, you featured an artist who later became all with the 3D. We talked about your podcast, and I hung out with her at an artist alley at NYAF.
  • Hmm, which might explain why I'm not staff for any conventions anymore. I stopped putting up with that bullshit.
    Eh, I have to say working to put on a convention you've started from the beginning can be very rewarding even if there is a shit ton of BS to deal with. The best thing to do when staffing a convention is hedge out a piece of the convention you care about and just work to make it perfect while ignoring all other aspects.
    Yeah I tried that. You know what happened? I made the AA awesome by instituting a ruleset and a reservation system for tables (despite some obstacles and misplaced blame for problems) and then someone else got assigned to my position the next year even though I had already agreed to do it again. AND I WASN'T NOTIFIED. So I showed up to a staff meeting and they were all like, "Oh... you're going to do that again? We already put someone on it." I organized the staff meal plan that year and then peaced out after the con.
  • Well it looks like Cat, Karl, and I will be the only ones at Otakon again.
    *cough* There is a good chance Laura and I will be there.
    I'm going to be there.
  • Well, we went one year, and panned ConnectiCon on GeekNights. They heard the review, and invited us to volunteer and fix the problems we saw. We responded immediately, and ran eleven panels for them the next year.

That went super well, so the next year they gave us an entire panel room to schedule and program ourselves.

That also went super well, so the next year they put us in charge of ALL the panel rooms. That went better than any ConnectiCon had ever gone panel-wise.
    See, that's some Beowulf shit right there.
  • See, that's some Beowulf shit right there.
    You need to challenge the con for total control and say, "bitch, I'm Beowulf!"
  • See, that's some Beowulf shit right there.
    You need to challenge the con for total control and say, "bitch, I'm Beowulf!"
    Get drunk and rip off the arms of your opposition!
  • Eh, I have to say working to put on a convention you've started from the beginning can be very rewarding even if there is a shit ton of BS to deal with. The best thing to do when staffing a convention is hedge out a piece of the convention you care about and just work to make it perfect while ignoring all other aspects.
    *coughcough*Unless you end up working 60 or so hours.*cough*
  • *coughcough*Unless you end up working 60 or so hours.*cough*
    heh, note I am just in charge of panels :-p I could take on more responsibility but I don't on purpose :-p (though depending on how things shake out I might).
  • edited March 2011
    Get drunk and rip off the arms of your opposition!
    There are so many situations which could be readily solved by a solid application of Beowulf. We don't need a no-fly zone around Libya; one Beowulf would fix that problem right quick.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Get drunk and rip off the arms of your opposition!
    There are so many situations which could be readily solved by a solid application of Beowulf. We don't need a no-fly zone around Libya; one Beowulf would fix that problem right quick.
    I think you're forgetting what happens when Grendel's mother comes for her revenge.
  • I think you're forgetting what happens when Grendel's mother comes for her revenge.
    No, Beowulf carves her head off in that cavern of death, with a huge giant-sword.
  • :-p
    You stick your tongue out way too much. I just always picture you posting with your tongue sticking out.
  • I think you're forgetting what happens when Grendel's mother comes for her revenge.
    No, Beowulf carves her head off in that cavern of death, with a huge giant-sword.
    But first she wreaks some havoc and shit. Brave hearthfellows and whatnot.
  • edited March 2011
    You stick your tongue out way too much. I just always picture you posting with your tongue sticking out.
    IMG00140-20110323-1415
    Haven't cleaned up much since the convention this last weekend ^_^
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • At this rate, Connecticon 2012 will become GeekNights Con. :P
  • Brave hearthfellows and whatnot.
    First, it's young hearth-fellows.

Secondly, it was kind Aeschere, counselor to kings, cold with slaughter-death.
  • ScoJo, I love your beard. Your new name, with beard, is Huggywuggy Niceman!
  • RymRym
    edited May 2011
    Well, Otakon rejected our panels with nary a word.

Considering we've never been rejected before and have run well-attended panels since 2002, coupled with the drama that was plain to see while we were on the Otakon staff, it's clear that they simply don't wish to continue their relationship with us.

Funnily, I just realized that this is the first time we've ever been rejected by a convention of any sort.

So, that's that.

Of course, if you wanted to see us at Otakon, be sure to let them know at con feedback. We would gladly have attended to run our programming.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Oh, of course they did.
    God, what a bunch of whiny drama babies.
    You know, this may be a wee bit sour grapes, but I think it's good you got out. You don't want to be involved with all that drama.
    Why can't they act like people do in business? Like, actually communicate? What's with this unexplained banning, this not giving you the schedule, this petty squabbling?
    If I ran a con, I would run it like a company. That's what they should be doing.
  • RymRym
    edited May 2011
    Oh, of course they did.
    God, what a bunch of whiny drama babies.
    I wish I'd recorded the discussion about Daryl Surat. The level of drama in that room was palpable, thick and suffocating. Their discussions about us were pretty funny too, nevermind what I get to hear from the staffers and their friends who like us. ;^)

Really, their biggest mistake was inviting us to join the staff. Had I never seen behind that veil, I never would have known the severity of the con's internal problems, and we'd probably still be running panels for them blissfully unaware. It all really went downhill at Comcon, where they argued (heatedly) more and longer about the particulars of the procedures for appealing disciplinary proceedings than the time they spent on anything worthwhile.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Why can't they act like people do in business? Like, actually communicate? What's with this unexplained banning, this not giving you the schedule, this petty squabbling?
    Because it's Otakon, and they are incompetent. You really should just GTF away and stay away unless/until they make serious changes to the staff roster.
  • Yet another reason to go to this instead:
  • Might not be going after all. I'll know for sure within the next month.
  • Well, Otakon rejected our panels with nary a word.

Considering we've never been rejected before and have run well-attended panels since 2002, coupled with the drama that was plain to see while we were on the Otakon staff, it's clear that they simply don't wish to continue their relationship with us.

Funnily, I just realized that this is the first time we've ever been rejected by a convention of any sort.

So, that's that.

Of course, if you wanted to see us at Otakon, be sure to let them know at con feedback. We would gladly have attended to run our programming.
    Honestly, did you have any doubt that that was going to be the outcome?
  • Honestly, did you have any doubt that that was going to be the outcome?
    We chose to give them the benefit of the doubt, and to assume that they would act professionally.
  • Honestly, did you have any doubt that that was going to be the outcome?
    We chose to give them the benefit of the doubt, and to assume that they would act professionally.
    But you did technically bail on them last year, regardless of the justification you had for doing so.
  • I'll be going... and probably be on panels staff as a panels flunkie (it's an easy gig on staff). No idea why your panels didn't get accepted/what the drama was this year... and I'd just as soon avoid it. I have enough on my plate running panels at AB. :)
  • I still haven't heard anything back about any of the four panels I submitted.