This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Otakon 2011

Comments

• I didn't cry, but I was emotionally moved by Voices of a Distant Star.
  • I think that Shinkai really honed his skills as he went along. I like Voices of a Distant Star, but my favorite movie of his is 5 Centimeters per Second. That movie makes me so fucking sad.
    5 cm is the tearjerker for me and I think it's his best representation of his usual theme.
  • I think that Shinkai really honed his skills as he went along. I like Voices of a Distant Star, but my favorite movie of his is 5 Centimeters per Second. That movie makes me so fucking sad.
    This.
  • 5 cm is the tearjerker for me and I think it's his best representation of his usual theme.
    Five Centimeters is kinda meh, in my opinion. I saw it first, but I feel like HnK is his best work.

Five Centimeters is beautiful, but I feel like Hoshi no Koei is a better thing.
  • edited June 2011
    I watched it and
    I didn't cry, but I was emotionally moved.
    but a tiny bit.

Edit: One gripe is, why was she still in a school uniform? If she was on a mission for whatever military branch, shouldn't she have been in some sort of suit like the ones in Evangelion? I guess they kept her in it to establish that she really hasn't aged while the guy has.

I guess I didn't cry or was as moved because I knew it was supposed to be sad. I don't know.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Hmmm.. I'm thinking of going to Otakon Saturday to Sunday... Wonder if I can find some place to crash at..
  • Hmmm.. I'm thinking of going to Otakon Saturday to Sunday... Wonder if I can find some place to crash at..
    I'm thinking of skipping all together.
  • edited July 2011
    So Who's going to be at Otakon, Looks like I am going and staying with Cat, Karl and George.

\\I also don't care if you are not going so whatev
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • I'll be going to Otakon. Though I might of over done it with running a panel and last minute promising my friends I'd cosplay with them. OMG, so many slides to make and so much sewing!
  • \\I also don't care if you are not going so whatev
    Haha, as long as you have fun if you go, that's what matters!
  • Haha, as long as you have fun if you go, that's what matters!
    I just didn't want a whole bunch of "I'm not going" responses. Since I only care about who is GOING to be there ;-p
  • I just didn't want a whole bunch of "I'm not going" responses. Since I only care about who is GOING to be there ;-p
    I'm not going.
  • I'm not going.
    I know where you are going, your GOING TO HELL.
  • I know where you are going, you're GOING TO HELL.
    *shame*
  • *shame*
    You are also going to hell.
  • I am going to bit gen gamer fest, it is also in Baltimore at the same time. I like to rock!
  • I'm going for sure! Let's hang!
  • I'm going! We should do a forumite meet-up!
    Yes! Lets talk details! Dinner? Picnic? Afternoon tea?
    Let's pick a day, at least. Thursday is generally a good choice because there's lots of downtime, but this year there's the Matsuri. It ends at 6:00 but I have an appointment with my photographer at 6:00 so maybe dinner around 7:00?
  • edited July 2011
    I know some of AWO will be at otakon, but will Dave and Joel be there? (it's one of the few times I get to hang a bit with them).
    Post edited by Cremlian on
    Let's pick a day, at least. Thursday is generally a good choice because there's lots of downtime, but this year there's the Matsuri. It ends at 6:00 but I have an appointment with my photographer at 6:00 so maybe dinner around 7:00?
    We could hang AT the matsuri!
    We could hang AT the matsuri!
    TRUE, but I just thought dinner would be a good idea partially because I'm bringing friends of mine who are not on the forums and don't know the other people in the room, and I'd like to help them blend into my room-crowd before I peace out to hang out with forumites.
  • So I feel like we should have a meet-up to all go see Makoto Shinkai's Children Who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below. Thoughts?
  • So I feel like we should have a meet-up to all go see Makoto Shinkai's Children Who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below. Thoughts?
    Get there early.
  • So jelly.
    Man, I was checking out the Otakon site. They have very good programming, and I really want to see that Makoto Shinkai movie. (Come on, NY Children's Film Festival!)
    However, what does Otakon have for me as a professional? I am bummed that I would have to grind indefinitely in order to do any sort of translation work/personal assistant help to Japanese guests. At Connecticon I got to interact with the Japanese anime producers and professors and translate for them, and it was awesome. Unfortunately, not so for Otakon. I don't want to be a "gofer," and I know that even if I rose to high levels of staff, I would have to deal with ridiculous drama.
  • However, what does Otakon have for me as a professional? I am bummed that I would have to grind indefinitely in order to do any sort of translation work/personal assistant help to Japanese guests. At Connecticon I got to interact with the Japanese anime producers and professors and translate for them, and it was awesome. Unfortunately, not so for Otakon. I don't want to be a "gofer," and I know that even if I rose to high levels of staff, I would have to deal with ridiculous drama.
    Doubtiful, I'm sure as a translator, you would not have to deal with much drama, your role would be pretty laid out and there wouldn't be much drama for you personally to take part in.
    Get there early.
    No straggling! I'm seeing this gotdamn awesome movie!
  • So I will be cosplaying as a Blitzle gijinka on Friday and John Lasseter on Saturday. I couldn't do my elaborate planned costumes for this year as I did not have money.
  • I'm just a little goth girl. I'll be doing The Yaoi-ing Game on Sat night. Prepare for hilarity!