This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Otakon 2011

Comments

• Remember to go visit Mankoon and Endless Fluff Studios in the artist alley.
  • I has more sads. One day I will make it there.
  • Karl and I be there this weekend!
  • If anyone wants to hang out, tweet to @Li_Akahi.
  • I'll be there but on duty as staff -- probably pulling somewhat longer shifts than usual because I have to leave early on Sunday.
  • If anyone needs an escape come on over to bit gen gamer fest, I will be there all day/night.

• However, what does Otakon have for me as a professional?
    You do one panel about translation or whatever, and you get comped.

I feel like any convention requires professionals to actually work though -- there's not really any half-time.

• However, what does Otakon have for me as a professional?
    You do one panel about translation or whatever, and you get comped.

I feel like any convention requires professionals to actually work though -- there's not really any half-time.
    But aside from panels, there's almost nothing for a professional to do that isn't just straight entertainment in most cases. There are few networking opportunities at anime conventions (compared to other conventions).
  • Exactly. At PAX, I meet all sorts of other game developers. Even if I am in the Artist Alley, it isn't really built for conversation and networking. The same goes for translation stuff. I want to meet other people who enjoy the same pursuits as I do, in the same way I do. Otakon is great as an anime fan, but for someone in the animation or translation industries, it doesn't really seem tailored to professional enrichment.
    But, after all, "by fans, for fans," right?
  • So Otakon had 31,000 people this year attending. It rose about 10% from last year. That is rather obscene for a con of this size.

Also, George, Carl, and Cat are totally awesome.
  • Wish I was there...
  • So Otakon had 31,000 people this year attending. It rose about 10% from last year. That is rather obscene for a con of this size.

Also, George, Carl, and Cat are totally awesome.
    Yea, I didn't run into you for some reason. I hung out with Viga a lot though.
  • Wish I was there...
    You should totally come next year. There are some amazing things being planned for next year cosplay-wize...
  • Yea, I didn't run into you for some reason.
    I saw you in passing, but I didn't process that it was you until it was too late.
  • Wish I was there...
    You should totally come next year. There are some amazing things being planned for next year cosplay-wize...
    I would love to, but money and potential jobs/internships may get in the way. If I have money to do a non-local convention, it would probably only be one, so...I'd be picking between like, Otakon, PAX East, Anime Boston, MAGFest, and Connecticon...

But yeah, cool cosplay plans totally work for me. I can usually only motivate myself to work on cosplay-type-stuff if I have a group. I'm not very good at putting stuff together by myself, but I always know how to find people who can show me how to do stuff.
  • Wish I was there...
  • Slightly off topic, but still relevant...
  • Also, George, Karl, and Cat are totally awesome.
    You were pretty awesome yourself. Glad to have finally meet you.
  • So Otakon really had 93,000 people at it! :-p
  • So Otakon really had 93,000 people at it! :-p
    San-Diego Comic-Con says they had 130,000, but that's 4 full days + preview night. Is Otakon bigger? It's really close.
  • Otakon needs to count their pre-reg day. :P
  • San-Diego Comic-Con says they had 130,000, but that's 4 full days + preview night. Is Otakon bigger? It's really close.
    Does San Diego count turnstyle?
  • edited August 2011
    Otakon needs to count their pre-reg day. :P
    Otakon counts unique human bodies. SDCC counts turnstile per day. They count a five day pass for one person as five people Otakon counts a weekend pass for three days as one person. Otakon doesn't count staff, vendors, guests, etc. I'm pretty sure SDCC counts the janitors and security guards.

I think SDCC feels bigger becuase it is more crowded while Otakon is sprawling, but Otakon just might more more actual people.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Saturday was basically Shinkai day. Shinkon. Next year I want Hosodakon.

Best free item acquired was a strip of film from Place Promised given at his Q&A.
  • Next year I want Hosodakon.
    He is such a cool director. I got to meet him at the NY Children's Film Festival. He was really good answering the kids' questions.
  • I would have to go if Hosoda went. I need to know what his next film is gonna be...
  • I'm really happy that I got a chance to sit down and get to know Viga and Ryan. I hope to see you guys at the future cons and stuff.

One of the best moments at the con was listening to George complain about being famous. To paraphrase "I just signed 3 autographs, and it sucks. I hate being famous." Hehehehe. Too adorable.
  • It does suck, fuck fame!
  • I'm still a bit confused at being referred to being the Cynical one. I feel like due to the lack of FRC people around I was the most cynical due to the 7 people more cynical then me not being around :-p
  • I'm still a bit confused at being referred to being the Cynical one. I feel like due to the lack of FRC people around I was the most cynical due to the 7 people more cynical then me not being around :-p
    I'll agree with that.