This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20110322 - PAX East 2011 and Spot It

Comments

• Next time just Dominion, Dixit, Kingsburg, and Citadels.
    There will be a newer hotter game before next time.
  • Next time just Dominion, Dixit, Kingsburg, and Citadels.
    There will be a newer hotter game before next time.
    Was there anything new over the last year that was new and hot? I can't recall.
  • Was there anything new over the last year that was new and hot? I can't recall.
    Mansions of Madness ~_^
  • 7 Wonders and Fresco were the hot euro games of 2010.
    Oh yeah, 7 Wonders is good, but I didn't see it that much vs Dominion at PAX East.
    Oh yeah, 7 Wonders is good, but I didn't see it that much vs Dominion at PAX East.
    Its print run sold out really fast. It's out of stock pretty much everywhere, and I'm betting it would have been seen more at PAX if the dealers were selling it. New print run is due in a month or two.
  • Its print run sold out really fast. It's out of stock pretty much everywhere, and I'm betting it would have been seen more at PAX if the dealers were selling it. New print run is due in a month or two.
    Sweet. I will buy it then.
  • edited March 2011
    It appears they are now attempting to defend numbers now
    attendance reporting is really easy. We printed up 69,500 badges, and we sold them all. That is the attendance rate. Press and exhibitor badges may or may not count, but they were not half the attendees. And exhibitors pay way more than we did. Press do not, but they can cherry pick media folks. Media represents less than 1k and the exhibitors were closer to the 7-10k range. A healthy chunk mind you but not as huge as your alluding.

Still for comparison purposes if we are comparing this to other pax then we use the same scale for continuity sake. If we compare this to otakon then you may have to adjust one up or down.
    Source
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • I know Mike & Jerry are not the guys to bring this to, but they do hold a media-only Q&A at 9AM on Sunday during PAX. You could get media badges easily as GeekNights and raise the issue there. You might confuse Mike & Jerry, but in the process you will educate every member of the media in the room.
  • I know Mike & Jerry are not the guys to bring this to, but they do hold a media-only Q&A; at 9AM on Sunday during PAX
    We've been to that in the past, partly by accident. ;^)
  • So it appears people are now saying that the BCEC is bigger then the BCC...the amount of laughter in that caused me was way too much.
  • So it appears people are now saying that the BCEC is bigger then the BCC...the amount of laughter in that caused me was way too much.
    I honestly had to look it up. In terms of visual space the BCEC looked much bigger, coupled with the fact PAX states the numbers are 69,500, I can see how the average person would assume that the BCEC is bigger.
  • Saw this chart in the Boston Globe earlier this week:
    (Here's the link, in case that img tag won't embed. And here's the story that this image was created to support.)

So I got curious about the International Boston Seafood Show, which was edging on 3x as many room nights as PAX, and also seems to be a three-day show. Apparently last weekend they said they were expecting about 17,000 people.

While turnstile numbers might be standard for anime cons, I'm not sure this is true for trade shows in general, or conventions in general. I've been involved with planning large academic conferences for the past 10 years and we care a lot about the number of unique attendees.
  • I honestly had to look it up. In terms of visual space the BCEC looked much bigger, coupled with the fact PAX states the numbers are 69,500, I can see how the average person would assume that the BCEC is bigger.
    Look at an Otakon map. The underground BCC rooms where Otakon puts the dealer's room and artist alley and such are gigantic. If they remove those dividing walls that basement room is as epic as the BCEC room. On top of that add the gigantic room adjoining the fountain lobby which Otakon uses for 35mm and video games. Then you haven't even touched the Hilton which has many rooms, one of which is bigger than PAXes biggest panel room, IIRC. And then there's the third floor BCC rooms which Otakon uses for panels and more video showings. Those easily dwarf the BCEC main events.
  • edited March 2011
    If they remove those dividing walls that basement room is as epic as the BCEC room.
    If both centers' sites are to be believed, the BCEC main exposition hall is nearly twice the size of the BCC's - 500+k square feet compared to 300k square feet.

However, the BCC has other space, whereas the BCEC is primarily that main hall.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • If they remove those dividing walls that basement room is as epic as the BCEC room.
    If both centers' sites are to be believed, the BCEC main exposition hall is nearly twice the size of the BCC's - 500+k square feet compared to 300k square feet.

However, the BCC has other space, whereas the BCEC is primarily that main hall.
    I'll believe it. It was a fucking quest to go across that BCEC cafeteria to the bathroom. It wasn't really a quest to do the same in Otakon Artist Alley. That being said, the PAX Expo hall could probably fit inside the Otakon video game room.
  • the PAX Expo hall could probably fit inside the Otakon video game room.
    Maybe not quite, but it'd be a closely run affair. It would fit where the Artist's Alley is trivially. Otakon doesn't even use most of that space.
  • heh, I enjoy people not understanding how conventions count attendance. If there was actually 69,000 people over that weekend that convention center would have been a huge mess :-p
  • heh, I enjoy people not understanding how conventions count attendance. If there was actually 69,000 people over that weekend that convention center would have been a huge mess :-p
    I enjoy people not understanding basic skills math when someone attempts to explain the numbers to them.
  • edited March 2011
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Jerry was right. The BCEC really does look like a spaceship. This graphic is fantastic, but it only heightens my regret that I didn't pull the trigger on going to one of those original PAXes.
  • The BCEC really does look like a spaceship.
  • Jerry was right. The BCEC really does look like a spaceship. This graphic is fantastic, but it only heightens my regret that I didn't pull the trigger on going to one of those original PAXes.
    My greatest regret in life. Not throwing away all my money during college to go to PAX 1.
  • First third of our Friday panel: The Triple Threat: Short Subjects in Gaming. MMOs are Anything But
    My greatest regret in life. Not throwing away all my money during college to go to PAX 1.
    PAX at the Meydinbauer was quite epic. I'm happy to say I was there for at least two of them, but I did miss the last one where "All Hail Ball" spawned.

Still, epic.
  • First third of our Friday panel: The Triple Threat: Short Subjects in Gaming. MMOs are Anything But
    Would you call Minecraft an RPG?
    The way I figure it, your idea of an RPG is a game where your decisions have a nontrivial impact on the story of the world at large, and I'd say Minecraft meets that definition. Or does there need to be something more for a game to be an RPG?
    Finally.
    Do you have any knowledge if there will be youtubes for the other parts too?
  • Finally.
    Do you have any knowledge if there will be youtubes for the other parts too?
    If Rym doesn't shit-talk.
  • Do you have any knowledge if there will be youtubes for the other parts too?
    Umm, I'm the one who made that video. I have video of all of our panels. It just takes a long time to edit and process 1080p. This was as soon as I could get even that short portion up.
  • Umm, I'm the one who made that video.
    Didn't notice that. Also I don't remember there being any shittalk about making videos of your panels pre pax so I kinda assumed that it wouldn't happen.