This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20110322 - PAX East 2011 and Spot It

Comments

• Part two of the Triple Threat panel from Friday: The Game Makes the Community.

• I would love for you guys to come speak at my school. I only wish there was a good enough reason for you to do so.
  • I never thought I'd say this, but with the shaved head and beard, Scott looks like a bit of a badass.
  • I never thought I'd say this, but with the shaved head and beard, Scott looks like a bit of a badass.
    He kind of looks like the prototype for an MMA fighter, he'd just need thicker arms and tattoos ;)
    He could pull off a decent Hitman cosplay.
  • Just a suggestion: for people who enjoy the HD videos try out blip.tv. Not only is there no limit you can upload videos at 1080p for free, plus if you disable ads you can easily have it stream on all the devices people care about without a problem.
  • Just a suggestion: for people who enjoy the HD videos try out blip.tv. Not only is there no limit you can upload videos at 1080p for free, plus if you disable ads you can easily have it stream on all the devices people care about without a problem.
    That would probably be more useful for the members of the forum, who would know about Rym and Scott uploading whatever video to whatever client. However it would be much eaiser for the general public to find the video on youtube as opposed to blip since youtube is the lowest common denominator. I mean it wouldn't really matter for us in the forums, but for just an average PAX attendee looking for panel stuff they missed, youtube would be a better way to reach out to them.
    That would probably be more useful for the members of the forum, who would know about Rym and Scott uploading whatever video to whatever client. However it would be much eaiser for the general public to find the video on youtube as opposed to blip since youtube is the lowest common denominator. I mean it wouldn't really matter for us in the forums, but for just an average PAX attendee looking for panel stuff they missed, youtube would be a better way to reach out to them.
    Good point, also it is a nice way to say "If you want the HD version of this video come to the video section of frontrowcrew.com."
  • I think blip.tv is what Dave of Fast Karate uses for his video podcasts, they don't mind direct links to files.
    The average PAX attendee would, on looking for Rym and Scott, just find frontrowcrew.com and forum.frontrowcrew.com rather than the youtube videos anyway, as Scrym has essentially no presence on youtube. As such, it doesn't really matter on what site their videos are hosted, as long as they prominently link them from the main site and announce them in the forum.
  • Youtube is very useful for having your video discovered by the public, but I wholly agree that Blip.tv knocks it out of the park.
  • Youtube is very useful for having your video discovered by the public, but I wholly agree that Blip.tv knocks it out of the park.
    Blip also posts to youtube as well, so you can upload to blip and they send the video to youtube. One stop shopping.
  • Third part was posted in case anyone wasn't watching anywhere else for it.

The Ballad of Dudebro
  • Trying to find a link to the MegaTF thing you guys mentioned, having no luck... Link/something?
  • Trying to find a link to the MegaTF thing you guys mentioned, having no luck... Link/something?
    http://www.campu.org/infinity/
  • I think he means the compressed rant.
    Didn't you hear us say that we lost the mp3 and can't find it?
    Huh? ProfPangloss is the one who was asking for it.
  • Didn't you hear us say that we lost the mp3 and can't find it?
    We should have an official annual get-together where the original core of the crew all recites the rant, to ensure that it is preserved for future generations.
  • edited April 2011
    We should have an official annual get-together where the original core of the crew all recites the rant, to ensure that it is preserved for future generations.
    If preserving it is the concern, re-recording it would be smarter. At the very least, it's already on the Internet now that Rym has posted that video.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • At the very least, it's already on the Internet now that Rym has posted that video.
    I skipped/flubbed a few bits on stage, to be honest. ;^)
    If preserving it is the concern, re-recording it would be smarter.
    But far less romantic than a geek oral tradition.
    If preserving it is the concern, re-recording it would be smarter.
    But far less romantic than a geek oral tradition.
    That's why you have both.
  • But far less romantic than a geek oral tradition.
    I find the oral route to be the most romantic.

But yes, I rather like the idea of an oral tradition along with a "definitive" version.
  • But far less romantic than a geek oral tradition.
    I find the oral route to be the most romantic.

But yes, I rather like the idea of an oral tradition along with a "definitive" version.
    It must be sung to a folksy tune to ensure people remember how to tell the tale.

• Game Mechanics and Mechanism Design.

Not the best run of that we've had, and we definitely spend the majority of the panel laying the groundwork, but uploaded nonetheless. ;^)
  • Oh hells yeah. I really wanted to go to this one, but I really wanted to play games a bit more. Panels always seem to get the short end of the stick with my PAX time. Will be watching this later.

• How to Win at Games!

The last chunk of the panel had bad audio due to the Marantz battery dying. I had to use the backup audio from the camera... As such, I just kept what was necessary for continuity in the first chunk, plus the conclusion at the end. The only thing cut was the solving of Settlers of Catan.

• Could you post a text version of that, or is it not important?
  • Rym, your style of presenting is really good and entertaining. I'm going to be referencing it a lot when I give my audio editing workshop for the RTDNA at my school.