This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX Prime 2011

Comments

• Yes, they're meant to be dressed up, but cosplay is about having a love of the character. I have to wonder if the adorable kids dressed as A:TLA characters from an Otakon 2009 or 2010 (I don't remember which) really liked A:TLA that much that they would choose to dress up like them. I loved dressing in costumes when I was little, but not everyone does.
    I was Voltron for halloween when I was very young, and I fucking knew what Voltron was.
  • Hell yeah! Dinner would be great. I hope we can get together during the con. I'm not working the theater during the day (I am working it for the concerts), so hopefully I'll see you guys during the show.
  • Hell yeah! Dinner would be great. I hope we can get together during the con. I'm not working the theater during the day (I am working it for the concerts), so hopefully I'll see you guys during the show.
    Fuck yeah.
  • Case of 24 bottles of Bawls should be procured tomorrow. It will be on. No sleep. Sleep is for the weak.
  • Yes, they're meant to be dressed up, but cosplay is about having a love of the character. I have to wonder if the adorable kids dressed as A:TLA characters from an Otakon 2009 or 2010 (I don't remember which) really liked A:TLA that much that they would choose to dress up like them. I loved dressing in costumes when I was little, but not everyone does.
    I was Voltron for halloween when I was very young, and I fucking knew what Voltron was.
    And that makes it fine, but you never know with parents bringing their kids to conventions. It's clear that the parents are anime fans, but you never know if they're just dragging the kids along or not.
  • And that makes it fine, but you never know with parents bringing their kids to conventions. It's clear that the parents are anime fans, but you never know if they're just dragging the kids along or not.
    Like they have a choice. Parents drag their kids to all kinds of places all the time dressed in certain attire whether they like it or not. How does a convention make it any different?
  • Caffeine has no additional effect after maximum dosage. Once it's hit the level of sleep-prevention, there is no further gain. Once you hit the level of microsleep incidents, further caffeine consumption cannot help you.

Slow and steady over long periods is the way to go.
  • edited August 2011
    I was merely kidding. I brought more than enough for myself and to share with friends. By sharing I mean you give me $1/bottle if you are interested.

It also saves time of having to go to the 3 different Starbucks within a block and waiting in line to get my needed caffeine for the day.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited August 2011
    Caffeine has no additional effect after maximum dosage.
    Addendum - No Additional Beneficial effect. Death counts as an effect.

Also, pro-tip - Remember, if you get caffeine you get in, it will only help you short term if you don't keep up your calorie intake, too. It sharpens the mind some, but it doesn't fuel the body.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Caffeine has no additional effect after maximum dosage.
    Addendum - No Additional Beneficial effect. Death counts as an effect.

Also, pro-tip - Remember, if you get caffeine you get in, it will only help you short term if you don't keep up your calorie intake, too. It sharpens the mind some, but it doesn't fuel the body.
    You assume death is never a beneficial effect.
  • You assume death is never a beneficial effect.
    It generally isn't, unless it happens to other people.
  • It generally isn't, unless it happens to other people.
    Amen. So say we all. Death to the stupid!
  • Amen. So say we all. Death to the stupid!
    Yep - as my grandfather once said to me, "Don't if you can ever avoid it, but if you must get yourself all involved in death and that shit, make sure it's someone else's."
  • Ohhhhhhhh shit son
  • James Rolfe is on the schedule. OH SHIT.
  • Ugh, my panel got scheduled at 10:30am on Sunday. >_<

The Hidden Value of Punching Trees: Minecraft & the Future of Game Culture

Raven Theatre
    Sunday 10:30am - 11:30am

Minecraft has exploded in the past year to become one of the most popular and recognized video games amongst fans and the industry -- and it all started as an indie side-project developed by one guy, Markus Persson (aka. notch). While Minecraft has become infamous for its petrifying Creepers and a 1:1 scale copy of the Starship Enterprise, the game also reveals a lot about the future of game development and game culture in the Internet era. PhD researcher Alex Leavitt looks at the development and spread of Minecraft to explain the cultural and social implications of this indie title gone viral: from the insane passion for a game that still isn't finished to the careful creation of a game with millions of playtesters. A panel for Minecraft newbies and seasoned tree-punching veterans alike.

Panelists include: Alex Leavitt [PhD Researcher, Annenberg School for Communication, University of Southern California]
  • I think that's actually not a bad time if you were looking for it to be well attended. I helped out with the GeekDad panel at East in that slot and they had to cap the line. Were you hoping for it be in an 8AM slot so you could spend better con time enjoying yourself instead of presenting?
  • edited August 2011
    I think that's actually not a bad time if you were looking for it to be well attended. I helped out with the GeekDad panel at East in that slot and they had to cap the line. Were you hoping for it be in an 8AM slot so you could spend better con time enjoying yourself instead of presenting?
    No, I was hoping for it to be later on whatever day so I could stay out late the night before and sleep in a bit. :P (Plus, I'm more coherent after 11am.)

And I'm not worried about attendance. I did another version of this at PAX East (Saturday, 8:30pm), and the Enforcers had to turn people away 45 minutes before the panel even started. >_< #thepowerofminecraft
    Post edited by Alex Leavitt on
  • Got my pass(es) in the mail yesterday. Didn't know that they moved the main theater to the Paramount. Very good decision. Bigger place, easier to load/unload, and much closer to the convention center.

Officially excited now!
  • Didn't know that they moved the main theater to the Paramount.
    Oh wow nice. That is more convenient, imo.
  • We wanted to be in the Paramount last year, but a deal could not be reached. This year should be great, the space looks fantastic.
  • Huge win for PAX getting Paramount! Speaking of main theater events, I see there is a new musical act, Supercommuter. Anyone listen to them? They any good? Plan on listening to a few of their songs when I get home tonight to check them out.

Trip is looking like a go btw. I'll be booking my flight today or tomorrow, but it looks like I might not get there until Friday night, maybe very late. Oh well I'm not complaining, I didn't think I would be going at all until a few weeks ago. Almost time to set up that Beluga pod, eh? What is the group consensus, do we want to run with Beluga again or is there something new, shiny, and superior?
  • edited August 2011
    Almost time to set up that Beluga pod, eh? What is the group consensus, do we want to run with Beluga again or is there something new, shiny, and superior?
    Funny you should bring that up. Scott and I were talking about that yesterday.

He was suggesting the FB messaging system or something. I've never used it. FB is really slow on my phone and I'm used to Beluga, so unless there is something that makes the FB messaging thing better I'm down with sticking with Beluga.

If we do, probably best to make a new Pod that is called PAX Best Coast, amirite? ^___~
  • Almost time to set up that Beluga pod, eh? What is the group consensus, do we want to run with Beluga again or is there something new, shiny, and superior?
    Funny you should bring that up. Scott and I were talking about that yesterday.

He was suggesting the FB messaging system or something. I've never used it. FB is really slow on my phone and I'm used to Beluga, so unless there is something that makes the FB messaging thing better I'm down with sticking with Beluga.
    Facebook had bought Beluga a week or so before we started using it for PAX East, and they actually launched a completely separate Facebook Messenger app just yesterday. It's the end result of Facebook integrating what they purchased into their brand. I imagine they'll try to get everyone to migrate over eventually, or just let Beluga wither on the vine. I'll have to download and check it out.
  • I jsut checked. Facebook Messenger is really just an IM client for Facebook messaging. It doesn't have all the Beluga features yet, as far as I can tell. Let's stick with Beluga until the bitter end.
  • edited August 2011
    I jsut checked. Facebook Messenger is really just an IM client for Facebook messaging. It doesn't have all the Beluga features yet, as far as I can tell. Let's stick with Beluga until the bitter end.
    Laaaame. Way to buy it and not use its beat features. Beluga it is. All hail the whale!
    Post edited by Matt on
  • edited August 2011
    Here are the games I'm going to bring:

Dominion (All expansions)
    Grimoire
    Puzzle Strike
    Nightfall
    Marrakech
    Ascension
    Allhambra
    Dixit

Here are the rest of our games, if you see something you are interested in let me know so I can consider bringing it:

Betrayal at the House on the Hill
    7 Wonders
    Snow Tails
    Bananagrams
    Spot It
    Citadels
    Thunderstone
    Kingsburg
    Carcassonne
    Small World
    Zooleretto
    Shazamm
    Roll Through The Ages
    Greed Quest
    Forbidden Island
    Via Paletti
    Jungle Speed
    Bohnanza
    Poo
    Nuts
    S'Quarrels
  • I can pack the Martial Law expansion cards for Nightfall if you want to check them out. I'm planning on not really carrying around more than fits in my camera bag, which means just a few decks of cards or dice games. Roll Through The Ages would probably make for a great "we are stuck in line" game.
  • I can pack the Martial Law expansion cards for Nightfall if you want to check them out.
    My friend has it, and Jeremy will more than likely pick it up at Prime. He just bought the original today. He really enjoyed playing it over the weekend. I didn't play it, but it sounds like fun.