This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX Prime 2011

Comments

• edited August 2011
    Booking flights for this trip is making me want to punch someone in the neck.

In other news, is anyone looking to have someone split a downtown hotel room? Edit: Nevermind, scored one.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Booking flights for this trip is making me want to punch someone in the neck.
    Jet Blue.
  • Booking flights for this trip is making me want to punch someone in the neck.
    Jet Blue.
    I wish. I'm going to be in the area during part of a larger, 9-day work trip, so I have to book through a special travel agent website that would give you an aneurysm.
  • I wish. I'm going to be in the area during part of a larger, 9-day work trip, so I have to book through a special travel agent website that would give you an aneurysm.
    Call the agent on the telephone or just get tickets on your own and then expense your company after.
  • I wish. I'm going to be in the area during part of a larger, 9-day work trip, so I have to book through a special travel agent website that would give you an aneurysm.
    Call the agent on the telephone or just get tickets on your own and then expense your company after.
    I did eventually give up and send in a help ticket. Unfortunately the company is the US Government, which is very rigid with its travel booking. At least they're flexible enough to let you get a hotel room above what they are willing to pay and allow you to foot the bill yourself. I managed to get the Kimpton Hotel Monaco a half mile from the WSCC, and they'll cover half.
  • Almost time to set up that Beluga pod, eh? What is the group consensus, do we want to run with Beluga again or is there something new, shiny, and superior?
    If other people are willing to give it a try, I can set up an Ivytalk group to use. Unlike Beluga, we don't have any fancy apps yet (publicly available anyway), but since we use email and SMS, we do cover all phones and not just smart ones. At the very least, it'd be good for us to get some use on the system and see how it handles an event like PAX.
  • edited August 2011
    The official Omegathon games are up!
    Round 1, 20 to 16 - Double Dash on Gamecube.
    Round 2, 16 to 12 – Bananagrams
    Round 3, 12 to 8 - Lumines Live! on Xbox 360
    Round 4, 8 to 4 - Dance Central 2, Xbox 360
    Round 5, 4 to 2 - Portal 2 (Console)
    Oh my god they're playing Bananagrams and Portal 2 WHY MUST I BE POOR AND ON THE EAST COAST!?
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Double Dash? Lame. ;^)
    20% cooler.
  • I'm sure it's gotta have something to do with it being round 1 and the fact that Double Dash lets you double up the matches to complete the round in a reasonable amount of time. I'll still take Double Dash as an entry round game with skill, as opposed to previous crap choices such as Zombie Dice. The only part that sucks is if they really are making you buddy up in round 1, your fate is tied to that of another even though it's not Team Omegathon.
  • I'm sure it's gotta have something to do with it being round 1 and the fact that Double Dash lets you double up the matches to complete the round in a reasonable amount of time. I'll still take Double Dash as an entry round game with skill, as opposed to previous crap choices such as Zombie Dice. The only part that sucks is if they really are making you buddy up in round 1, your fate is tied to that of another even though it's not Team Omegathon.
    I agree entirely, but I would like to point out something interesting.

I have seen the last 5 omegathon finales live and in person. The structure of the omegathon has often included factors of randomness, or factors of being teamed up with a stranger such that it is no longer a true test of skill. Yet in every final round, even with the Omegacrane, the winner has always been a gamer who was able to demonstrate skills greater than that of their opponent in the final round, and of considerable video game skill overall. There was also that guy who made it to the finals multiple times in a row without winning. So clearly there is enough skill involved that much of the random and BS that creeps in gets weeded out.

This Omegathon actually looks to be the best yet with every round being a skill game. The flaw of the Mario Kart team-up is the only flaw in the entire line-up. And now that we know that high skill games are a possibility for the final round, anything is possible. I don't even know how to narrow the choices down anymore.

I'm going to keep betting on Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots until it happens.
  • I'm going to keep betting on Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots until it happens.
    Crossfire.
  • If I ran the Omegathon, I would troll the fuck out of everyone in that theater and make it the god-awful final game from the end of every Nick Arcade episode.
  • If I ran the Omegathon, I would troll the fuck out of everyone in that theater and make it the god-awful final game from the end of every Nick Arcade episode.
    That wouldn't be trolling. Everyone would love it except the losing finalist who got cheated out of a trip to Japan by a bullshit game.
  • Finally heard back on all of my reservations. No red-eye flights Honolulu to Seattle so I won't be landing until 4:40PM on Friday, so no keynote (or much Friday PAX at all) for me.
  • FedEx girl calls me:
    -There was a delivery attempt but you weren't home.
    -There was at least one person here all day.
    -Well, the door code didn't work.
    -We don't have a door code, but a (admittedly) slightly complicated door bell system, which is why I put a large note on the door saying "FedEx guy! Delivery for F47? Call me (number).
    -Well we probably have the wrong number for you.
    -Then, how, are, you, calling, me, right, now!?

Jeeeez, I thought the FedEx legends were true for the US only.

In related news, that is my PAX badge they will be trying to deliver again on monday.
  • (or much Friday PAX at all)
    If your plane lands at 4:40pm in SeaTac, then you can get downtown, checked in, eat some grub, and get into PAX itself by 7pm. That means you'll have 6 or 7 hours of gaming ahead of you. I would hardly say that leaves much Friday PAX at all. It leaves the best parts of Friday PAX. I suggest sleeping on the plane. Also, don't tell me you're not going to game until 2AM. Otherwise, just give your badge to someone else now.
  • (or much Friday PAX at all)
    If your plane lands at 4:40pm in SeaTac, then you can get downtown, checked in, eat some grub, and get into PAX itself by 7pm. That means you'll have 6 or 7 hours of gaming ahead of you. I would hardly say that leaves much Friday PAX at all. It leaves the best parts of Friday PAX. I suggest sleeping on the plane. Also, don't tell me you're not going to game until 2AM. Otherwise, just give your badge to someone else now.
    Yeah this was me being overdramatic. Don't worry, gaming till 2AM is the only way.
  • Also, don't tell me you're not going to game until 2AM. Otherwise, just give your badge to someone else now.
    This is why I love you guys. =D
  • I don't know why I keep reading this thread. I must be a masochist. ^_~
  • Lately I've been talking about PAX to several people and plans. Next weekend will be SAX (bag stuffing assembly line extravaganza!). Nothing but PAX on the mind.
  • Nothing but PAX on the mind.
  • edited August 2011
    oh man oh man oh man oh man oh man oh man oh man oh man oh man oh man PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX. I know it's still almost two weeks away, but I'm counting the days. Feels closer to me since I'm getting on a plane next Monday.

Also, got the media packet today and the private hour in the expo hall is on Friday now instead of Saturday. I would have missed it anyway since there's no way I'd get out of keynote line to walk expo hall, but it is a bit of a shame. Last two years I played everyone game and saw every booth I could possibly want to in that one hour with nobody else there. It was even helpful for scoring contacts with tabletop companies like Fantasy Flight and Cryptozoic who put their booths in the main expo hall.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Stop talking about it. I'm trying to get work done!

Seriously though, I'm quite excited. I'm trying to figure out things I need to do to prepare once again. SAX (bag stuffing party) is this weekend. It will be fun to see familiar Enforcer faces.
  • I cant' get my lack of PAX this year off my mind. :(
    Y U NO GO 2 PAX?
    Y U NO GO 2 PAX?
    MONEY! WE NEEDZ IT! :-(
    Y U NO GO 2 PAX?
    MONEY! WE NEEDZ IT! :-(
    if you can hitchhike to Seattle and magically find a pass, you're welcome to crash for free.
  • I'm also in the "It isn't in my budget" boat. Probably not Pax East 2012 either. Maybe things will be settled enough by next years prime.