This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Amateur Radio

edited April 2011 in Technology
So, I did a search to see if there has been a topic like this before on here, but there was only one result from several years ago, so I figured it would be ok to revisit it.

Are there any members here who are licensed or want to be licensed amateur radio operators? It seems like a geeky pursuit, but with not much interest amongst geeks. I especially enjoy the home-brew aspect of the hobby, as it is very cool to talk to someone thousands of kilometers away with a system that has been partially or completely built from scratch.

I was just wondering if there was anyone who is interested in the hobby, and what might be holding back those who are interested but not licensed.

My callsign is AE7KG, and my furthest contact was from Washington State to Russia (a couple thousand km) on about 40w of power.

Comments

• Personally, I would love to have a numbers station. If I had broadcasting equipment, a license and radio skills, I would set it up.
  • I've been licenced since the fourth grade (not an exaggeration) and have been going to HAMfests and the like with my family my entire life. I have a few radios in various conditions sitting in boxes in my parents' house, but none currently with my in my apartment. I'll definitely install one in my car when I get a car, though. It has saved my dad's ass enough times that I think it's worth it.

My callsign is KG4IYR, but unless it's pre-arranged I almost never use my radio.
  • I've tried setting up a low-power FM radio station on campus, but it didn't pan out. Never tried HAM though. Might be fun to look into.
  • edited April 2011
    I've never been licensed - that shit is expensive here, and you need to keep renewing it - But I've often played about with it, especially with more consumer grade tech like UHF and CB radios. I've run small pirate stations before(Usually for scouting events), and the pinnacle of that achievement was a commercial grade broadcast to all of Leeds, which was not a smart move, I'll admit, but I didn't get caught - which isn't as cool as it sounds, I didn't realize the station license had expired, so I went and flipped on the transmitter prior to our show, and turned it off after.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I constantly debate on this topic for an internet radio station, the problem is the license to actually broadcast music without violating any licenses and getting you ass sued. The best solution I found was Live 365 simple to get and set and if I tweak it just right can easily have something to take it on the go.