This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Looking for a PC gaming headset/mic

edited April 2011 in Video Games
With Portal 2 coming out, I'm realizing that I need to get myself a headset/mic to use on my PC. Currently my only computer is my laptop, on which the fan has gotten very loud over time - I've gotten complaints from friends about how the sound carries when I use my laptop microphone, so I need to remedy this. I'm not looking to spend too terribly much, preferably $40 or less, but I could go a bit higher if necessary. I could go either way as to whether or not the headset carries the PC sound; it'd be kind of nice, but I'm pretty sure that'd drive up the cost, so not too much of a factor.

Would anyone have any suggestions? I checked for old threads, but all the products linked have since become unavailable (since the threads are years old), so I figured I'd ask you guys for any current thoughts you might have.

Comments

• edited April 2011
    Well I just bought this yesterday for $30, and it seems to have gone down by $10 today. It's pretty nice so far.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Wow, especially for $20, those look pretty good. The negative reviews were pretty consistent, yet they are massively outnumbered, so I'm willing to assume that's just the given percentage of bad units that go out with any shipped product. I may well order them - anyone else have any recommendations?
  • My suggestions would be a couple steps up in the price range ~$60-80 I believe, and I can't disagree with that for $20. And honestly, I just broke some of the plastic on my headset, and am thinking I need to either spend enough for something more rugged/metal, or spend less and just deal with the difference and replace them as needs be.
  • With Portal 2 coming out, I'm realizing that I need to get myself a headset/mic to use on my PC. Currently my only computer is my laptop, on which the fan has gotten very loud over time - I've gotten complaints from friends about how the sound carries when I use my laptop microphone, so I need to remedy this. I'm not looking to spend too terribly much, preferably $40 or less, but I could go a bit higher if necessary. I could go either way as to whether or not the headset carries the PC sound; it'd be kind of nice, but I'm pretty sure that'd drive up the cost, so not too much of a factor.
    As a side note, I recommend cleaning your laptop fan/heatsink - It'll quiet it down more than you'd think.
  • Clean the Fan!
  • edited April 2011
    As a side note, I recommend cleaning your laptop fan/heatsink - It'll quiet it down more than you'd think.
    Yeah, I do intend to do that, I'm just honestly not looking forward to opening up my laptop, so my inner paranoia is making me wait I'm home from school for the year (when my day-to-day livelihood doesn't depend on this computer, as I'm a CS student). Continuing that side note, I've found conflicting reports - is the best way to do that to open the laptop, and use compressed air on the fan? Not exactly something I'd like to mess up. I contacted the manufacturer, but of course all I got was a form letter telling me how to send it in to them.

Edit:
    Clean the Fan!
    Ha... pretty catchy. But do I really have to cannibalize the thing that badly to access the fan? I knew I had to open it up, and take a few things out, but that's a complete disassembly.
    Post edited by Tesla on
  • edited April 2011
    Yeah, I do intend to do that, I'm just honestly not looking forward to opening up my laptop, so my inner paranoia is making me wait I'm home from school for the year (when my day-to-day livelihood doesn't depend on this computer, as I'm a CS student)
    If you're a CS student, don't worry - you should have pretty easy access to someone who can do it for you for the price of a six-pack. If not just a six pack.

I personally find the best way is to crack it open, blow the main stuff down, pick all the dust and shite out of the heatsink and fan with something soft and non-conductive, like a toothpick(be gentle) and then give the fans and heatsink one last blow with compressed air, and reassemble. But, that might not be the best way, pending expert opinion to be had around here.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • If you're a CS student, don't worry - you should have pretty easy access to someone who can do it for you for the price of a six-pack. If not just a six pack.

I personally find the best way is to crack it open, blow the main stuff down, pick all the dust and shite out of the heatsink and fan with something soft and non-conductive, like a toothpick(be gentle) and then give the fans and heatsink one last blow with compressed air, and reassemble. But, that might not be the best way, pending expert opinion to be had around here.
    I'll keep that in mind, see what I can do - thanks.
  • I currently use a cheap Koss headset. It works, but has a problem in that it gets uncomfortable after long periods of time. The microphone is also not good enough for recording anything.

Luckily, at PAX, there are more companies selling and demoing gaming headsets than anything else. For the first time I actually went and tried them out instead of ignoring them.

The best one was without a doubt the super expensive Turtle Beach Seven. It's almost $300, so not worth it. I was in a crowded and loud expo hall. I put on the demo unit and suddenly everything was quiet. I only heard the noise in the headphones, and the volume was not cranked up at all. The surround sound was also incredible, as if you had a home theater setup. Great for hearing guys coming from behind in Counter-Strike.

But that's way too much money, and it had a lot of unnecessary features. I ended up deciding on this other one that is not surround sound, but is half the price. It's not out yet, but you can pre-order on Amazon, the Plantronics RIG.

Plantronics RIG Stereo Gaming Headset with Mixer for PC/Mac - Retail Packaging - Black

Most of the other headsets were boasting audiophile features that are difficult, if not impossible, to quantify, and don't really matter that much. The RIG actually offers a bunch of really useful features not one other headset had. See, the control unit for the RIG is a tiny mixer. It mixes in your phone! You can also switch the cable and use this as your phone headset. This could actually be the one set of headphones you use all the time everywhere. Sit at the PC, plug it in. Leave the house, keep it on and plug it into the phone instead. Phone rings while playing a game? Got it. Use Skype on your phone instead of Skype on your PC for voice chat? Got it. Pipe in music from your phone without having to alt-tab to iTunes on PC.

It was also perhaps the most comfortable headset I wore except for maybe the square Astro gaming ones. So soft.
  • The only close to audiophile headset on the market is the Sennheiser PC360 (open headphones).

The isolation on those turtle beaches are really good as is the surround sound but I felt it was uncomfortably tight and the material it's made of would cause sweat to gather around the cups.

I haven't been able to try out the RIG you'll have to tell me how good it is.

Currently I use a Beyerdynamic 880 headphones and a desktop microphone.

I've always wanted a headset but the sound is usually very poor. At PAX Aus there was an Audio Technica demo of a prototype headset which sounded quite excellent, coming in an open or closed design I will check these out if and when they come out.
  • edited September 2013
    I think you sort of missed the point. That audiophile stuff is mostly bullshit. Why pay more for nonsense unmeasurable audio quality when you can pay less for actually useful features?

But yeah, the Seven was tighter than others, but I actually like things a little bit tight or I feel like the thing is going to fall off my head. The major problem I think is the material and shape of the part that touches your head. Lots of pressure on a really soft breathable cushion can work.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Yeah I agree, I did no describe what I was saying very well. Sennheiser advertises that it has amazing audiophile quality on this headset yet the driver is from one of the lower end parts, it is ridiculously priced at just over $300 when the equivalent headphone and microphone would be about $100.

Companies are talking BS about sound quality and charging 3 times the price because they are selling to gamers.
  • Steel Series Sibera are best price to comfort/audio quality IMHO
  • Steel Series Sibera are best price to comfort/audio quality IMHO
    I tried the ones at Steel Series, not bad. The Skull Candy ones are actually not bad either. The thing is that they were all just headsets with microphones. Literally not one other company had the extra features of The RIG. I've missed a lot of phone calls and messages because I was gaming. It's winter, and gaming is going to happen more.
  • I got some Razer one on Woot ages ago for dirt cheap. It works like a champ.
  • TBH, the RIG looks really uncomfortable. I hate on ear cups.
  • TBH, the RIG looks really uncomfortable. I hate on ear cups.
    I wore it, and it is way soft and ahhhh. Not the most comfortable one I tried, but definitely good enough and way better than what I have now.
  • I was looking around for a good gaming headset as well at PAX. For music listening I use AudioTechnica M-50's.
  • edited September 2013
    As I've already got a decent sound card, I'm looking at the Sennheiser PC-360s which are currently $160.

Edit: They're back up to $200.

Also keep in mind that if you're getting a $300 pair of headphones, a $200 pair and a $100 headphone amp might sound better.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • What the fuck is a sound card? ;^)

I have a firewire external, two USB externals, and a USB headset (plus a mixer). I haven't used an onboard "sound card" since... 2007?
  • Each to their own. Xonar DX is a pretty great sound card.
  • I wish I could find something like these, but with a microphone on them.
  • What the fuck is a sound card? ;^)

I have a firewire external, two USB externals, and a USB headset (plus a mixer). I haven't used an onboard "sound card" since... 2007?
    Each to their own. Xonar DX is a pretty great sound card.
    I use a Xonar D2X to match up with my headphones which need a driver and are great for music and video as well.

Onboard sound with the same setup (no card) was terrible.

I would use what Ninjarabbi posted if I was still a broke student otherwise no.
  • edited September 2013
    $7 earbuds sounding better than $49 'earphones' (whatever those may be) isn't really saying all that much. Other than it's all the same shit. A lapel mic can be pretty nice if you do video though, they're a bitch if you want to actually move around though. More cable nonsense, and cordless is not a viable alternative ever.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • Besides being poor, I'm a bit apprehensive about spending too much on headphones since I have a tendency to fuck up the cords. Though I did get a soldering iron recently so I may actually be able to repair them now. And I don't think the pic related is trying to say you shouldn't buy quality stuff, just that products in the vain of beats are overpriced for the same sound quality. Also, I can't imagine its that hard to rig a lapel mic to some wire and make those headphones into a decent headset.
  • edited September 2013
    I guarantee 100% any pair of $100+ headphones will sound better than ~$30 headphones. Earbuds ALWAYS suck in sound quality. They're good for tossing around but lets not kid ourselves.

You don't need to spend $300 for a pair of very good headphones, but you will most likely need to spend at least $100. That being said its entirely dependent on how nice you want it to sound. Some people like having artificial bass levels from their headphones, among other things. I did at one point but then I got a good pair of headphones and I can't go back.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Regardless of sound quality (which is gonna be shit no matter what), $7 earbuds REALLY hurt my ears. The buds themselves cause major discomfort and, without proper isolation, you're causing pretty major damage to your hearing over time. My $60 Etymotic earbuds are worth it for the comfort and isolation alone, but the decent audio quality doesn't hurt at all.
  • edited September 2013
    Those aren't earbuds; they're IEMs/canalphones. The difference is significant.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Those aren't earbuds; they're IEMs/canalphones. The difference is significant.
    Well huh, TIL.