This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

IMPORTANT: Read this if you play Minecraft on Tertius

edited April 2011 in Video Games
The 1.5 update is due out this week.

IF YOU UPDATE YOUR CLIENT WHEN IT IS RELEASED, you will not be able to get on the server for a few days.
This is because Tertius uses a modded version of the MC server called Bukkit. Bukkit will not be compatible with the official update for a few days, until the modding community catches up with changes in the code. The last time an official patch came out, they had fixed everything within about 48 hours.

Luckily, Minecraft does not force you to install new updates anymore. If you are using the latest client from Minecraft.net, you are seeing a "Minecraft News" launch screen. This screen will give you the option to update or not update when a new patch is released. If you do not see the "Minecraft News" screen at launch, download the client again (it's like a half a megabyte, folks).

To continue using the server when 1.5 is released, choose DO NOT UPDATE.

When the coast is clear, I'll let everyone know and we can update to the new goodies. These include rain, lightning, and snow storms, powered tracks, and more.

Comments

• Just logged in and got updated to 1.5 automatically. Single player good times for me.
  • Just logged in and got updated to 1.5 automatically. Single player good times for me.
  • No. I have the night all to myself. I must continue my structure! Damn the auto updates! ; _ ;
  • I got asked, don't know what the problem is for you guys.
    I was asked as well, but I just said yes. Didn't know. Thankfully, my laptop is still last version.
    Ok good. If not I can always play on Jeremy's computer or laptop. :3
  • You only get asked if you've downloaded a new copy of the game from Minecraft.net. If you've just had an old copy that's been updated, it will automatically update.

Also, the 1.3 to 1.4 Bukkit update only took 4 hours, so I'd expect to be able to play tonight. :D
  • You will get asked if you have downloaded or re-downloaded the Minecraft.exe file since the new launcher was released earlier this year.

If you've downloaded it, you need to make a new shortcut to it, or your old shortcut will still point to the old launcher hidden in your system files.
  • Also, the 1.3 to 1.4 Bukkit update only took 4 hours, so I'd expect to be able to play tonight. :D
    The CraftBukkit base update took that long -- it took longer for plugin devs to catch up. We're running a bunch of mods that make life better (like the market, perma-day, etc.).
  • Speaking of permaday, can we lose that? I'd love to see our structures at night. There is so much glass and torches, how could it be anything but pretty?
  • Speaking of permaday, can we lose that? I'd love to see our structures at night. There is so much glass and torches, how could it be anything but pretty?
    Meh. I'll put it to a vote. If five other people ask for it in this thread before 10 p.m. EDT, I'll do it.
  • Does night create anything else other than it being dark?
  • I'd like nighttime please.
    You don't count because you have not played ever for more than five minutes.
  • Does night create anything else other than it being dark?
    Not right now. If I turn monsters on, they will spawn when it's dark.
    You don't count because you have not played ever for more than five minutes.
    WHAT IS THIS DRACONIAN IRONFIST?! STAND UP FOR THE VOTE!
  • DRACONIAN IRONFIST
    Aaaaaaand... my new screen name.
  • edited April 2011
    Dammit. I want that name for a fictional guard captain.

The next time I have a dwarf in Burning Wheel, that's his name.

EDIT: Also, I think night would be cool. We do have lots of torches and lava and stuff about.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Who is John Galt?
  • I'd vote for nighttime, for much the same reasons as sonic.
  • Who is John Galt?
    I prefer to go by Andrew Ryan, thank you.
  • Who is John Galt?
    I prefer to go by Andrew Ryan, thank you.
    You're free market idealism will be the end of the server. Strip mines for all! Purge the land of it's life blood, efficiency is god!
  • You're
    it's
    And this is why you serfs need us titans of industry. You can't even use grammar correctly. How do you think you can run a country?
  • And this is why you serfs need us titans of industry. You can't even use grammar correctly. How do you think you can run a country?
    LET THE MARKET DECIDE HOW ENGLISH WORKS!

/whoopsthatwasembarassing...
  • I wonder if there is any extra short night plugin. Night and sunset would be nice for their visual beauty, but most of the time night is just pain in the ass. Short night would mean that we could see how things look in the dark, but it would be as little trouble as possible.
  • I wonder if there is any extra short night plugin. Night and sunset would be nice for their visual beauty, but most of the time night is just pain in the ass. Short night would mean that we could see how things look in the dark, but it would be as little trouble as possible.
    I like this idea.
    I like this idea.
    It can be done.
    I like this idea.
    It can be done.
    I vote for this option.
  • LET THE MARKET DECIDE HOW ENGLISH WORKS!
    Somehow I agree with this statement. It definitely would be easier for me :-p
  • Short night go!