This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Favorite Puzzle Games

edited April 2011 in Video Games
Turning this thread into something else after embarrassingly posting something that was posted in the Video Game Offers thread.

What's your favorite puzzle games? I've been playing RUSH and loving it a lot.

Comments

• Tetris is probably my favorite game ever. Also a big fan of Bubble Bobble/Bust-A-Move. And Pokemon Puzzle League.
  • Any variation of Panel de Pon is incredible. Tetris Attack, Pokemon Puzzle League, Pocket Puzzle League. Incredible. I even remember having thirty-minute 3D battles with my brother on the N64, just because of how huge of chains you could make in that game. And Pocket Puzzle League, I'd always smile when a Chinese or Japanese name appeared in the multiplayer section, because I knew I was in for a good battle. Real big fan of the music in that game too, some of it was really relaxing.

Currently, I'm playing Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes. It's fun and a great concept, but it does feel a tad too luck based.
  • Chu Chu Rocket!
  • I'm the only person who likes Yoshi's Cookie.
    Oh man, that game~

Damn you Scott, how I have to go look for my Gameboy Classic.
    Oh man, that game~

Damn you Scott, how I have to go look for my Gameboy Classic.
    Play the SNES version in an emulator. It's better.
  • I loves me some Tetris, and I'm not even a stoner. I'm pretty damn good at it least I think I am. I know I'm better than anyone I know back home. I think its because of my semi OCD personality that makes me want to make everything perfect in the game. I can't play the game casually really. If I'm playing for (what seems like) a long ass time. I'm always tensed up and I get that feeling of exahaustion when I'm done, and thats not a "I'm fat so I get tired playing videogames" sort of thing.
  • I loves me some Tetris, and I'm not even a stoner.
    WTF does being a stoner have anything to do with loving Tetris?

As for my puzzle game of choice, I'm a Tetris girl all the way.
  • Tower Defense of various types.

And Angry Birds.
  • edited April 2011
    I never got the appeal of Angry Birds (unless the Android version is somehow inferior to the others).

I always enjoyed Bookworm Adventures. It is Boggle + RPG, what's not to love?

edit: my best word ever was "Chamberlains". 12 letter word and it was a bitch to set up.
    Post edited by Daedalus on
  • edited April 2011
    I never got the appeal of Angry Birds (unless the Android version is somehow inferior to the others).
    From a few NPR articles:
    Part of what makes it so addictive, Clark says, is that it's easy. The player basically hurls birds through a slingshot at a castle. Inside the castle, there are ugly green pigs who stole the birds' eggs...

So the object of the game is revenge. There's also the simple pleasure of breaking things.

.."People love building things so that they could go and knock them down,"
    What is it about Angry Birds that makes it so successful? Andrew Stalbow, Senior Vice President of Mobile for 20th Century Fox, says it's partly that the degree of difficulty is just right for both kids and adults. "It looks pretty simple but it's pretty hard to master," he says. Plus, Rovio markets the game almost exclusively on social media. "They've created these adorable videos that just spread virally across social networks,"
    I always enjoyed Bookworm Adventures. It is Boggle + RPG, what's not to love?
    I love Bookworm Adventures. They need to release that on the DS and not the regular one. That one is lame.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I played through the first chapter on Android, mainly because all the iPhone people at work were absolutely mad over it. I enjoy other "castle destruction" flash games, but Angry Birds just did not click for me.

Maybe it is because there was no real innovation over the other castle destruction games, but I have not bothered continuing.
  • Maybe it is because there was no real innovation over the other castle destruction games, but I have not bothered continuing.
    I'm sure it's popular because most people who play it don't play a lot of castle destruction games.

However, it is also a mobile castle destruction game, and I fucking love castle destruction games. So having one available wherever I go is quite handy.
  • If Angry Birds gave me a readout of what angle and power I was about to shoot at, I would love it. The game would allow me to effectively learn from my previous mistakes. Instead, they force you to do it by feel, turning Angry Birds into a dexterity game on a device that does not allow for finely tuned control.
  • My brother's a big tetris nut. Usually if he wants to screw off at work, he goes on that Tetris specific sight, that has Endlesss, Time Attack, and Multiplayer modes. I also remember one of my favorite times at Otakon, is when they had the four player version of Panel De Pon on Gamecube, and I got to rock the hell out of that game. Boy, I wish that game gets put on Xbox Live or Steam or something. It was one of the few games where I truly felt like a master.

Also, Angry Birds as a Puzzle Game? It sort of is...
  • edited April 2011
    As much as I really enjoy Tetris DS, I wish they would incorporate the different modes they have from Tetris Worlds. I would love to play Fusion, Sticky, Cascade, and the other modes on the DS.

I can only play this on the Xbox.
    Also, Angry Birds as a Puzzle Game? It sort of is...
    How is it not? You're trying to kill pigs and have to destroy different types of structures with the given birds that have various degrees of destruction power. I will say there are certain levels that I completed that came out of my ass of sheer luck, but for those who want to get the 3 star score you have to figure out the best way to solve the puzzle using the least birds as possible.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited April 2011
    I guess what usually sticks out as a the traditional puzzle game, is the symbols and shapes being correlated with terms of high scores. But I don't want to get into a semantics argument over this. Angry Birds is a puzzle game, but it should be noted as a more loose and forgiving type of game when it comes to solving the puzzle when it comes to wach level.. With straight-up, grid puzzle games, you have hit-or-miss solutions and setups.

Other additions. Puzzle Quest totally needs to be added too. Puzzle Quest 2, even better. Also, did anyone play Henry Hatsworth? I was curious over that, because I heard it was Tetris Attack with Platforming.
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • Other additions. Puzzle Quest totally needs to be added too. Puzzle Quest 2, even better. Also, did anyone play Henry Hatsworth? I was curious over that, because I heard it was Tetris Attack with Platforming.
    Indeed.

PQ1 is still my favorite. PQ2 is alright. I really didn't like how they got rid of the mount system in PQ2 but added WoW gear of purples (epic), rares (blues), common (green), and uncommon (gray) to the game. I'm pretty sure that wasn't in the first one.

I still haven't finished PQ2 because I'm just not as interested but it feels like there was more of a storyline in PQ1 as well.

I've played some of Henry Hatsworth. It's pretty fun.
  • I played PQ1 on PC and had a lot of fun. I actually just downloaded the demo for PQ2 on my 360 last night (law school prep has kept away from gaming for months).

Small threadjack - any particular tips for PQ2?
  • Small threadjack - any particular tips for PQ2?
    Go Mage or Rogue. My bf preferred the rogue class over the mage. The paladin was boring to me.
  • Has anyone ever played any of the Puzzle Fighter games? I played Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix with my friend on his PS3 a while ago, and I beat him by just mashing buttons.
  • Has anyone ever played any of the Puzzle Fighter games? I played Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix with my friend on his PS3 a while ago, and I beat him by just mashing buttons.
    Back on the PS1 I played Super Puzzle Fighter Turbo. Beat it completely, with all medals and accomplishments. I was really angry you didn't even get a special splash screen for that.

I found the best strategy for Hard mode (and against other good players) was to drop a lot of random blocks early to set up better combos later. The small combos at the beginning are meaningless (and can even help your opponent by giving time-delay blocks to set up bigger gems/combos). Also, don't play Dan. :)
  • Also, don't play Dan. :)
    My friend and I actually had a Dan fight. All Dan, all the time.
  • My friend played Dan exclusively. It was sad, bordering on a disorder. :)
  • As far as the classics go, still love me some Tetris and Bust-a-Move, and any variant thereof. I've never been able to get into the other kinds of matching games, like Puzzle Quest or Bejeweled. Yeah, I can play them, but I get bored after about ten minutes.

For pencil and paper puzzles, I really suck at crosswords, but I will devour sudoku or other number puzzles.

I will also give Braid a mention since I greatly enjoyed it.
  • edited April 2011
    crosswords
    Love me some crosswords. Hate sudoku.

EDIT: I'm a big fan of physical puzzles.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I'm with WhaleShark. I annihilate crosswords, but grow frustrated with number games far too quickly. I credit my late grandmother for this, she did several crosswords a day until dementia took over and being a little proto-geek, I would do crosswords with her while I was there.

I was a huge fan of matrix logic puzzles, until I did a dozen a week to prepare for the LSAT logic games portion. Now I can't bear the thought of them.
  • I loves me some Tetris, and I'm not even a stoner.
    WTF does being a stoner have anything to do with loving Tetris?

As for my puzzle game of choice, I'm a Tetris girl all the way.
    Stoners used to (and probably do) play tetris on the gameboy hours on end while on their substance of choice, or so I've heard.
    I can only play this on the Xbox.
    Tetris Worlds is also on the GBA. If you've got the right piracy card you're all set.
  • edited April 2011
    Tetris and Polarium are my go-tos for video puzzle games. I also tear up sudokus like nobody's business.
    Post edited by Admiral Hotcakes on
  • Stoners used to (and probably do) play tetris on the gameboy hours on end while on their substance of choice, or so I've heard.
    Sounds like some dumb stereotype you heard of.
    Tetris Worlds is also on the GBA. If you've got the right piracy card you're all set.
    I still have a GBA SP. Hmm..

Also another Tetris version I enjoyed was the N64 release of Tetrisphere. Hey Virtual Console, get on that!