This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Connecticon 2011

edited April 2011 in Conventions
Having a bit of post-AB11 blues this morning . . . so figured the best way to combat that is by planning for another con. I didn't see a CtCon 2011 thread here yet (other than room-naming) so figured I'd start one.

Rym, I was thinking about what you said Saturday about panel submissions, so I posted your panel submission form link to Facebook and the ConnectiCon forums, where people were asking about when/where/how to submit panels. And for anybody here who needs it: Go submit your stuff here and make it good.

Comments

• Hmm I guess I need to figure out what panel idea I want to do this year.
  • I'm not gonna do an Initial D panel again, I still haven't figured out how to get people interested in cars.
  • I'm not gonna do an Initial D panel again, I still haven't figured out how to get people interested in cars.
    Top Gear?
    It might be fun to do a very participatory panel where everybody (panelists and audience alike) gets a turn to pitch the thing they love but can't get people interested in. There could be a stopwatch involved: Panelists each get 5 minutes, audience members each get 2 minutes. It wouldn't even have to be limited to anime, since CtCon is polygeeky.

Hmm. Maybe I should submit such a thing. Gotta figure out if my dance card is full yet.
  • edited April 2011
    I assume this is an error in the form:

"My event runs: *
    What do you believe the MPAA-equivalent rating of your presentation to be?"

Also, thanks for including the separate "legal name" and "I prefer to be called" lines. You don't know how frustrating it is to have to explain to conventions that I go by my middle name when I show my ID for press.
    Post edited by Gundampilotspaz on
  • edited April 2011
    Top Gear?
    Doesn't work so well - as an example My mother and sister love top gear, but they have no interest in cars whatsoever, they just think the hosts are funny. It doesn't make it any easier to get into cars, because it just gives them something to distract them from the cars.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • That's part of Top Gear's appeal. I've got a passing interest in cars, but the show is entertaining enough to make me watch ALL of the new series. The car stuff is interesting, and may learn me something, but I'm there for the hosts being...well, them.
  • That's part of Top Gear's appeal. I've got a passing interest in cars, but the show is entertaining enough to make me watch ALL of the new series. The car stuff is interesting, and may learn me something, but I'm there for the hosts being...well, them.
    So, Basically, Exactly what I just said. You still don't care any more for cars, you're there for the hosts.
  • I do care for cars more...just while I'm watching Top Gear though. If they're out of season for a week or so I stop caring.
  • I have just submitted my panel I shall let the chips fall where they may.
  • I do care for cars more...just while I'm watching Top Gear though. If they're out of season for a week or so I stop caring.
    So, Basically, Exactly what I just said. You still don't care any more for cars, you're there for the hosts.
    Right, anyway I'm thinking about it, but I haven't had any brilliant ideas.
  • I still haven't figured out how to get people interested in cars.
    I find driving a sporty/high performance car will usually tip people over if they are on the fence but i have yet to find something that will actually turn a non-car-person into a car-nerd but that isn't really doable at a panel.
    This is why I watch Top Gear too. That Chemistry.
  • I guess I am the only person that got into cars by watching Trucks with Jamie (Spike TV weekend mornings), it is hard to convince people to go outside of their scope when it comes to various geek things. I try to trick them by talking about on board computers in cars and how they can be programmed into making the car perform better and in doing so requires them to learn other things about the car.
  • While the deadline is technically May 10th, the sooner you submit a panel, the better slot you'll likely get. I'm already roughing it out.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dDIxRXFreGR1SldXR0xSTm9nd3JGenc6MQ&ndplr=1

;^)
  • edited April 2011
    Edit: forget I said that. I need a study break anyhow.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • I'm hoping to have a panel submission together by the end of the week.
  • I'm working on my first submission currently. However I'm having trouble coming up with a good name.
  • Submitting panels like the motherfucking Fist of the North Star.
  • edited April 2011
    Anyone thinking about doing a Pony Panel to discuss the various questions we posed in the thread, then trying to be amateur myth buster in solving them. Just had an idea for a potentially kick ass panel, submitting it now.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • My family has submitted so many panels now I feel like we should be running mini-cons out of our basement.
  • Anyone thinking about doing a Pony Panel to discuss the various questions we posed in the thread, then trying to be amateur myth buster in solving them. Just had an idea for a potentially kick ass panel, submitting it now.
    I'm about to submit a pony fan panel. Did you already submit one?
  • I did not submit a pony panel, it is all yours
  • Hopefully I will get the chance to see it if it happens.
  • FYI (esp to Rym and Scott), over on the ConnectiCon forums they'd love to have someone from the ConnectiCon staff tell them that I'm not just pulling that submission link out of my hat. And of course, I don't blame them.
  • Done and done.
  • Artist Alley reg doesn't seem to be up either. This is troubling, because Lesbians and Emily, the working title for a certain artist collective, is all set to participate in artist alley.
  • Lesbians and Emily
    That made my day right there.
  • Kind of a shame that yesterday's ConnectiCon newsletter didn't have any info about the panel submission form or upcoming deadline. But at least info about the hotel block finally went out. It had been posted many weeks ago on ConnectiCon's FB page by someone who'd happened to call the hotel.

And y'know, I do believe the web site was slightly less broken for a few days there. But now the home page is back to the friendly error message, "You've been redirected here becuase your in the middle of creating an account for use with ConnectiCon. "