This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Connecticon 2011

Comments

• ConnectiCon has never been the most organized convention, despite being one of the most rockin' conventions.
  • Crazy question, but . . . . is anybody here old, like really really old, like 45 or over? And been geeky in one dimension or more for at least a couple decades of those years? If so I really need to talk to you about a panel idea.

(And yes I'm being kinda facetious about 45 being old, because I'm 44 myself, but I realize there's a big difference between "old" and "con old.")
  • Ooh! Are you going to do the pangeek equivalent of the (good and actually older) old otaku panel? YAY! Too bad I'm a kid.
  • Ooh! Are you going to do the pangeek equivalent of the (good and actually older) old otaku panel? YAY! Too bad I'm a kid.
    Ayup, that's the idea at least. So far I've got myself and my spouse, and some leads on old geeks in the Northeast.

I had some concerns about the old otaku panel at AB11. I felt it was poorly organized, and I really should not have been the oldest person up there. Both those problems are already fixed. But I still want more peoples.
  • Crazy question, but . . . . is anybody here old, like really really old, like 45 or over? And been geeky in one dimension or more for at least a couple decades of those years? If so I really need to talk to you about a panel idea.

(And yes I'm being kinda facetious about 45 being old, because I'm 44 myself, but I realize there's a big difference between "old" and "con old.")
    I have a friend who submitted a panel to the convention and he is 40, if they invite him up I can almost guarentee you he will be on board with it.
  • edited May 2011
    Crazy question, but . . . . is anybody here old, like really really old, like 45 or over? And been geeky in one dimension or more for at least a couple decades of those years? If so I really need to talk to you about a panel idea.

I have a friend who submitted a panel to the convention and he is 40, if they invite him up I can almost guarentee you he will be on board with it.
    Hmm. I could see going as young as 40 if the geek cred is high enough (and spans at least 2 decades), or if he brings in a geekery we don't already have covered. If he's coming to ConnectiCon, would you introduce us? My email's jennifer@thosedarncats.net .

Edit: And of course standard disclaimer: I've submitted this panel, but it hasn't been accepted yet, so I don't know for sure if it's happening. I'm just hopeful. :)
    Post edited by jtvh on
  • edited May 2011
    Good news, the guy at MAGfest Scrym talked about with the pixel oil paintings was at TooManyGames, I told him about the con and he may try to sell his wares up there.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I just had one of the biggest fail moments yesterday. While falling asleep last night staring at the clock, I randomly remembered that my panel was never submitted (due to a variety of reasons). The time was around 11:45 on May 9th. I grabbed my phone and frantically submitted my panel shortly after thinking I was going to run out of time. I feel really stupid right now...
  • Got the email yesterday that my Connecticon panel got accepted, anyone else?
    I'll be sending another round of acceptances as soon as I get confirmation on the guest panels. ^_~

We're going to have to turn away a surprising number of panels. Despite the setbacks, I think we had a submission record. Next year, I may re-work the whole scheduling process to have 15 minute gaps rather than 30 to fit a few more in.
  • That's pretty awesome.
    I'll be sending another round of acceptances as soon as I get confirmation on the guest panels. ^_~

We're going to have to turn away a surprising number of panels. Despite the setbacks, I think we had a submission record. Next year, I may re-work the whole scheduling process to have 15 minute gaps rather than 30 to fit a few more in.
    Glad to hear you got a good number of submissions! I must admit I was concerned, given the CtCon website issues.

Having too many good panels is a problem worth having.
  • edited May 2011
    I got the email, but I submitted two so I don't know if both were accepted or if only one, which one. I'm sure I'll know soon.
    Post edited by Gundampilotspaz on
  • I get to put on the very first panel of the convention, save Morning Announcements! I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing...
  • I get to put on the very first panel of the convention, save Morning Announcements! I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing...
    Me and the rest of Family That Geeks Together had 10 AM panels every day of Anime Boston. 10 AM Friday is a lot of fun, since you're not out late into the night conventioning the previous night. Be glad you don't have Sunday 10, Anime and the Reality of War did not go well.
  • Me and the rest of Family That Geeks Together had 10 AM panels every day of Anime Boston. 10 AM Friday is a lot of fun, since you're not out late into the night conventioning the previous night. Be glad you don't have Sunday 10, Anime and the Reality of War did not go well.
    My second panel is at 10am on Sunday, but it's far more lighthearted than the first one.
  • Me and the rest of Family That Geeks Together had 10 AM panels every day of Anime Boston. 10 AM Friday is a lot of fun, since you're not out late into the night conventioning the previous night. Be glad you don't have Sunday 10, Anime and the Reality of War did not go well.
    My second panel is at 10am on Sunday, but it's far more lighthearted than the first one.
    Ah, we've got an early Sunday panel too. I think it's our Family panel.

I'm a bit paranoid about A/V setups (especially for the first panel of the day) so I tend to get there early. So far A/V has always been fine, so then I can kick back and share random videos with whomever showed up early (at AB11 we had a spontaneous brony meet-up one morning, and watched Captain EO the next day).
  • I'm a bit paranoid about A/V setups (especially for the first panel of the day) so I tend to get there early. So far A/V has always been fine, so then I can kick back and share random videos with whomever showed up early (at AB11 we had a spontaneous brony meet-up one morning, and watched Captain EO the next day).
    It's all VGA right? I need to get an adapter. All I have is a Mini display port to HDMI.
  • I'm a bit paranoid about A/V setups (especially for the first panel of the day) so I tend to get there early. So far A/V has always been fine, so then I can kick back and share random videos with whomever showed up early (at AB11 we had a spontaneous brony meet-up one morning, and watched Captain EO the next day).
    It's all VGA right? I need to get an adapter. All I have is a Mini display port to HDMI.
    Dunno what Rym's got lined up for ConnectiCon, but yeah, most of the time convention center projectors are VGA.
  • Odd, I thought I was approved for two panels but I only see one. Already sent and email to clarify and will be working on the one that is on the schedule over the weekend.
  • RymRym
    edited June 2011
    It'll be rare to ever see anything but VGA at a convention for some time to come.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • It's all VGA right? I need to get an adapter. All I have is a Mini display port to HDMI.
    It'll be rare to ever see anything but HDMI at a convention for some time to come.
    Really? No VGA at ConnectiCon? Some warning would be good, nobody in my group has HDMI AFAIK (though I'm sure we could get an adapter).
  • Really? No VGA at ConnectiCon? Some warning would be good, nobody in my group has HDMI AFAIK (though I'm sure we could get an adapter).
    Only as rare as typos on my part. ;^) I meant to say that almost noone supports anything but VGA anywhere, even at super professional conventions I attend.
  • Really? No VGA at ConnectiCon? Some warning would be good, nobody in my group has HDMI AFAIK (though I'm sure we could get an adapter).
    Only as rare as typos on my part. ;^) I meant to say that almost noone supports anything but VGA anywhere, even at super professional conventions I attend.
    Oh, cool then. I thought that was odd, since the various professional events I go to usually are all-VGA (probably a function of the convention center AV contractors not wanting to upgrade equipment until forced).
  • What's going to be the availability of wifi/electricity at this con? Should I pack a generator?
  • What's going to be the availability of wifi/electricity at this con? Should I pack a generator?
    How much power do you need for a giant mecha!
  • How much power do you need for a giant mecha!
    Good point, you'll probably want to pack two generators, just in case.
  • Say, is anybody here running any RPGs at ConnectiCon? I'm an RPG novice and had a really great time playing Paranoia last weekend at PortCon, so now I'm champing at the bit to find out about the ConnectiCon RPG schedule and see if anything looks like a good fit (both for my lack of experience, and the other things on my schedule).
  • So I just checked the program book that's up on the website today and I must say, Connecticon this year looks pretty stacked. I can't wait for next week to come. Who else in the forum is going?