This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fall 2006 anime

edited September 2006 in Anime
What anime fansubs are people interested in for the fall of 2006?

I've downloaded the first episode of Black Blood Brothers. There seems to be a lot of interest in this based on the torrent numbers.

I'm currently downloading:
1) Night Head Genesis
2) Innocent Venus
3) Flag
4) Chevalier

I'm not watching any episodes until I download the entire series. I know that this may sound crazy, but I'll go nuts if a series is pulled from animesuki with just a few episodes left because it has been licensed. If that happens, then I'd rather not watch it at all.

One other note... if you see a DVD on deepdiscountdvd.com that you are interested in, order it quickly. There was a DVD of the movie "The Venus Wars" that was being sold for $5.99. I debated ordering it for a couple of days, and when I checked back the title was no longer available. Doh!

Comments

• RymRym
    edited September 2006
    Flag was so disappointing. It want from awesome political drama to stupid robot show in the span of one scene.

Chevalier looks incredibly badass.

I'm not sure about Innocent Venus just yet.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited September 2006
    Flag was so disappointing. It want from awesome political drama to stupid robot show in the span of one scene.
    Ouch.

By the way... what does a fictitious "person" do if a series gets licensed mid-stream? I assume the fansubs cease, or do they continue on other torrent sites? Of course I'm not a fictitious person. ;-)
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • edited September 2006
    Many (most?) fansub groups will stop subbing a show after it's licensed, but as long as the torrents are being made you'll continue to find them on torrent distribution sites with fewer scruples than Anime Suki.
    Post edited by Phantasos on
  • Kemonozume is the new awesome, expect an episode about it soon. Robots, monkeys, samurai and monsters. Tough to beat.
  • Kemonozume is the new awesome, expect an episode about it soon. Robots, monkeys, samurai and monsters. Tough to beat.
    Thanks for reminding me. That one had caught my eye. I'm downloading the two released episodes right now.
  • Innocent Venus just ended up being too shounen and stereotypical for me, though I'll say the commando raids were cool.
    Chevalier I hadn't looked at, but suddenly I'm quite interested in it.
    Kemonozume is indeed quite cool, and that monkey was bad ass.
    Higurashi is almost over, so that isn't really a Fall anime.
    Zero no Tsukaima is still going on. Mostly I'm watching that at 2X speed so I can properly enjoy the commentary at AoMM.

Kilarney: If this fictitious person wanted to keep watching a series after it had been licensed mid-show, Utawarerumono say, and they for whatever reason were ok with still downloading it, they knew they were going to buy it on DVD say, then they could check which group or groups had done the fansub episodes they had already watched on go check those group's websites to see whether they had decided to continue.

Myself, if I keep watching a show after its been licensed I feel obligated to buy it like I did Last Exile, but I won't think someone is a horrible evil person for downloading something unless the DVDs are actually in stores.
  • Yes... the issue is having to wait so long for the DVDs.
  • edited September 2006
    Here is a list of the new series which will begin this fall as well as links to the show's japanese website, and here is an 8 part blog entrt that previews many of the new shows. I'm looking forward to checking out the first episodes of Pumpkin Scissors, Death Note, D.Gray-man, Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto, 009-1, Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch and Tempouibun Ayakashiayashi. And that show about bartending hmm..
    Post edited by Kite on
  • Here is what I'd like to check out:
    - Pumpkin Scissors
    - Death Note
    - D. Gray-man
    - Red Garden
    - 009-1
    - Black Blood Brothers
    - Kemonozume

Sadly, few of these have fansubs that have been announced. Hopefully this will change.
  • Here are my initial reactions to some of the shows in the list that I didn't just ignore completely.
    Komonozume
    I've already seen, and I will definitely keep watching. Monkey for the win! I just don't have confidence this will work over 26 episodes, I hope it's 13.
    Black Blood Brothers
    I've got episode 1. I gave it the 30 second preview, and it's got a 30% chance of being good.
    Pumpkin Scissors
    This is an unknown quantity. It could be the best thing ever or the worst thing ever. I predict it will be more exciting to find out what the show is like than to actually watch the show.
    Death Note
    This is a no brainer. It will be interesting to see how the manga translates to anime, hear the voice acting and see what they change from the manga.
    009-1
    This has potential plot-wise, but the character design makes me think this is going to be a booby show. Reminds me a little of a show from a few years back called Mouse.
    Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch
    It's a mecha show from CLAMP. I've gotta watch it just to see wtf they're going to do.
    Kujibiki Unbalance
    How can I not? If you've seen Genshiken, you really can't avoid Kujibiki no matter how bad it turns out.
    Hataraki Man
    I'm mostly interested because the description makes it seem like something which will avoid all current anime cliches. Typically these types of stories are the domain of manga that only people like me read.
    Bartender
    I hope, I hope, I hope this turns out to be the Initial D of bartending.
    That concludes my Fall 2006 anime predictions based solely on prejudice, pictures and short descriptions.
  • My Bitorrent has never worked because Ohio ISPs have pretty much grown savvy and started port blocking. So I'm restricted, ironically, to just the worn-out stuff I can find on Limewire, which for some reason hasn't been blocked.

I've got to say, though, that I still managed to find Wolf's Rain, which I liked. And I was very, very impressed with Rym's mention of Robot Carnival, because hardly anybody has ever seen it (that I know, anyway). Not that it was really any good....
  • My Bitorrent has never worked because Ohio ISPs have pretty much grown savvy and started port blocking. So I'm restricted, ironically, to just the worn-out stuff I can find on Limewire, which for some reason hasn't been blocked.

I've got to say, though, that I still managed to find Wolf's Rain, which I liked. And I was very, very impressed with Rym's mention of Robot Carnival, because hardly anybody has ever seen it (that I know, anyway). Not that it was really any good....
    Change which port your bittorrent uses...
  • I've tried ports 6881-6999 and I'm pretty sure they're doing something to restrict bandwidth along those ports. I can't get DL speeds of more than 6k/s.
  • Utorrent allows you to use ports in the 4000 range. I know because mine is set that way.
  • You can use any port, it doesn't have to be in the 6881-6999 range.
  • Kate and I are watching another few that aren't technically fall anime, but are still being released.

Bokura ga Ita - A rather impressive high-school romance anime. All about a crush that develops into love, but there's a significant amount of mysterious backstory behind a couple of the characters that reveals itself and keeps things interesting. The art is interesting, the voice-acting is surprisingly realistic. That being said, my inner squealing fangirl is going to say that the main couple is adoreable and zomg the inter-personal relationships make me *squee*....ahem. I highly reccomend this to watch with a significant other. Moving on...

The Third - This one has a firm standing in the "I want to see more, and I'm not sure if it's awesome or not yet". It's definately sci-fi, and takes place on a post-apocolyptic Earth that is watched over by a group of aliens called The Third. There's a lot to this storyline, but it remains to be seen if it's worth the time investment.
  • edited September 2006
    A question (albeit not directly related):
    I just purchased Neon Genesis Evangelion Collection #1 (ep 1-4) off of Ebay for dirt cheap. It was $4.75 with shipping. It was on my Netflix list, but I figured I would order it anyway. I searched for the next collection, only to find that there were very few DVDs, and what did exist was not at all cheap.

Is this a marketing strategy of the distribution companies? Do they release dirt cheap DVDs that are first in the series in order to get you hooked, or is this just a coincidence?
  • A question (albeit not directly related):
    I just purchased Neon Genesis Evangelion Collection #1 (ep 1-4) off of Ebay for dirt cheap. It was $4.75 with shipping. It was on my Netflix list, but I figured I would order it anyway. I searched for the next collection, only to find that there were very few DVDs, and what did exist was not at all cheap.

Is this a marketing strategy of the distribution companies? Do they release dirt cheap DVDs that are first in the series in order to get you hooked, or is this just a coincidence?
    Are you sure you didn't buy a bootleg? If it's not an official ADV release, then it's a bootleg.

Either way, new anime DVDs in the US typically cost $20-$30 individually. Sometimes they'll be on sale for $10-$20. Of course, older and less popular series are discounted, etc. Eventually, when the series is done being released they put out a boxed set which is usually slightly cheaper than all the individual DVDs. Also, #1 DVDs tend to come with empty boxes now to encourage that collecting bug so you will buy the rest of the series. The new trend is for companies to release a slimcase box a year or so after the box set comes out. This allows people who are willing to wait to get the whole series at a very low price.

If someone was buying Evangelion right now, I would only suggest you buy this.
  • edited September 2006
    Are you sure you didn't buy a bootleg? If it's not an official ADV release, then it's a bootleg.
    It claims to be ADV, and the seller has good feedback. I figured I would order the first disc or two for cheap, and then buy the boxed set if I like it. The boxed set is actually quite reasonable. There were 8 discs originally. At $5 each (with shipping), which is a steal, it would be $40. The platinum boxed set is only $45 - although with only 6 discs. I'm assuming each disc in the platinum set has more episodes.

I did find several cheap DVDs at the amazon.com marketplace. It must be because there is a boxed set out there that is very competitive.
  • Be warned that Eva is a little bit tricky. The first several episodes are very different from the rest of the show, in part to trick typical anime fans into watching and then switching for something much darker and deeper than they would otherwise have watched. It's a fantastic show.
  • Interesting anime to tie into the religion debate.
  • edited September 2006
    Speaking of new series, is there any easy way to figure out what new series (or existing series being re-aired) are coming to Adult Swim on the Cartoon Network? I hate to jump into something after the beginning episode. I don't watch Adult Swim regularly, and their webpage isn't laid out well at all. Or should I avoid watching anime on Adult Swim because of the editing?
  • edited September 2006
    Kujibiki Unbalance: How could I forget that. Yes, I'm definitely going to have to at least check that out. But on the other hand, its sort of odd that they would make a show that was originally supposed to be sort of a parody.

The Third: I sort of have mixed feelings on that one. The big plus is that the main character is really cute. The big minus is that there's this really really annoying narrator who keeps telling us obvious stuff.
    Post edited by Symmetry on
  • My university also blocks bittorrent, they even prevent us from downloading .torrent files. So I get all my fansubs from irc, nearly every fansub group has at least one xdcc bot from somewhere *cough*hackedunixboxes*cough* so it is still pretty easy to get the latest stuff.
  • RymRym
    edited September 2006
    I'm growing more and more fond of Komonozume. The second episode was enough to convince me to give the show at least another 10 or so before I judge it. It's also two for two in its crucial monkey/episode rate.

Black Blood Brothers can die in a fire. It's so stereotypical and cliche that you can't help but wince continuously. Granted, there's a rather cute scene with the little brother banging on his elder's coffin trying to wake him up, but the show is otherwise worthless. -_-
    Post edited by Rym on
  • My university also blocks bittorrent, they even prevent us from downloading .torrent files. So I get all my fansubs from irc, nearly every fansub group has at least one xdcc bot from somewhere *cough*hackedunixboxes*cough* so it is still pretty easy to get the latest stuff.
    This page will help you out.
  • I personally like Coyote Ragtime Show. So far, my favorite scene is when Mister (I think it was him) blew up this girl with a rocket. I laughed, because the girl looked like a clone of Paine from FFX-2.
  • When is the Death Note anime coming out? Has it already been released in Japan?
  • Coyote Ragtime Show... That was the one with the boobs where, at the climax of the otherwise serious prison break scene, 12 cosplayer girls fell from the sky and killed everyone.

I can't say that I was impressed with it.