This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Complete noob, looking for anime 101

124»

Comments

• I had to keep rewinding the umbrella part for myself :)
  • edited May 2011
    - A serious Gundam (Seed, maybe?)
    image?
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • edited May 2011
    Re: aseriousgundam.jpg

Transmission: WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT.

Transmission over.
    Post edited by progSHELL on
  • Now imagine Farrelly Brothers instead.

• I also watched Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbor Totoro and Castle in the Sky with the kids. I liked Castle in the Sky due to the action/adventure. But my kids were busting up laughing watching my neighbor Totoro. I had to keep rewinding the umbrella part for them.
    No special reaction to Kiki?

• I also watched Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbor Totoro and Castle in the Sky with the kids. I liked Castle in the Sky due to the action/adventure. But my kids were busting up laughing watching my neighbor Totoro. I had to keep rewinding the umbrella part for them.
    No special reaction to Kiki?
    The kids loved the cat on Kiki's Delivery Service. I liked the movie. I personally felt it was a lackluster story or plot, but the town and people they created in the town were anything but lackluster. It made me wish I lived in a place like that!
  • Gigi is the best character in that movie.
  • GigiJiji is the best character in that movie.
    It's part of the definition of 'cat'.
  • Anime after this is going to have some tough shoes to fill.
    Yeah, let me know if you actually find one.
  • Anime after this is going to have some tough shoes to fill.
    Yeah, let me know if you actually find one.
    I don't think he's seen Cowboy Bebop yet. Consider him needing a new pair of shoes.
  • I don't think he's seen Cowboy Bebop yet. Consider him needing a new pair of shoes.
    Yeah, I have the Cowboy Bebop episodes queued up in Netflix. I think I've finished watching all the Miyazaki films in Netflix, so Cowboy Bebop is next. Since I hear Cowboy Bebop is one of the best, will all other anime seem lackluster after I watch Cowboy Bebop? Just wondering if I should hold off on watching it yet.

By the way, just watched Porco Rosso with the kids last night. That one was pretty good. And the kids watched it twice in a row. When I think about it, I'm impressed at all the physics they are able to animate in that movie. I wish it had more of an ending, though. Is it just me, or are pirates glorified in media lately? Pirates of the Caribbean, Castle in the Sky, Porco Rosso...
  • edited May 2011
    Castle in the Sky, Porco Rosso...
    What do you mean lately? Laputa is from 1986. Porco Rosso is from 1992. Pirates of the Carribean started in 2003, which was 8 years ago.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Castle in the Sky, Porco Rosso...
    What do you mean lately? Laputa is from 1986. Porco Rosso is from 1992. Pirates of the Carribean started in 2003, which was 8 years ago.
    You are right, it would be more appropriate for me to say in media I've been watching lately. I didn't realize the Miyazaki films were that old! That makes them even more impressive.
  • I think pirates were the last geeky thing to get popular in the mainstream before vampires took over via Twilight
  • I would say zombies. I mean nerds always loved zombies but the general public now loves them.
  • I think pirates were the last geeky thing to get popular in the mainstream before vampires took over via Twilight
    They were mainstream way before they were geeky. Pirates have been a mainstay of adventure fiction since Robert Lewis Stevenson set pen to paper. There were tons of pirate things back in the day, from the turn of the century, the 50's, you name it.
    I personally felt it was a lackluster story or plot, but the town and people they created in the town were anything but lackluster.
    Maybe it was because I was once a young girl leaving my family to make it in a strange place by myself, but that movie always tugs at my heart strings something fierce. It is a good exchange student movie, and as I watched it when I was a kid, I had a lot of flying related fantasies because of that.
  • I'll say fair enough to the fact that pirates have been around a long time, but aside from Pirates of the Caribbean and the very short lived pirate gimmick for the wrestler Paul Burchill, I can't think of a mainstream pirate thing back to the movie Hook. Otherwise all I can think of are One Piece or Pirates vs Ninja debates.
  • Muppet Treasure Island?
  • Muppet Treasure Island?
    I stand defeated.
  • They Were Eleven. just an awesome movie, some of the best 80's OAV
  • FMA: Brotherhood is another good start into Anime, methinks
  • Finally got a chance to watch Cowboy Bebop again. Just finished Mushroom Shitake episode. I was busting up on that one! This is good stuff!

This show goes from putting together an awesome action episode, to a some of the most heartfelt death scenes, to some of the funniest stuff I've seen (well, besides watching Jackass) within a few episodes of each other! Amazing creative teams for Bebop.