This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

LULZ Playstation

Comments

• Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, New Super Mario Brothers Wii, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, LostWinds, Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Wario Land: Shake it!, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Punch-Out!!, and the Metroid Prime Trilogy are some I can name off the top of my head.
    Smash Bros and Mario Kart were better on GameCube. Twilight Princess and Metroid Prime are not Wii-exclusive (and in TP's case, better on the GameCube). Neither of the New Super Mario Brothers games have been good (sucky controls). Shake It quickly got boring. DKC was never good to begin with. To be fair to Punch-Out and LostWinds, I haven't played them. I will agree that SMG1 was amazing and I'm eagerly awaiting to play the sequel.

Most are not likely to agree with my assessments, but I'm very firmly in the I-hate-motion-controls camp, which most of the these games ultimately suffer from. Even SMG gets docked points for it, but the rest of the game is good enough to make up for it.
  • edited April 2011
    The Wii exclusive must-play games are:

Wii Sports/Resort. I'll count these as one game. They may be small, but you can't ignore them.
    Twilight Princess - doesn't count because it was also on GameCube, but Skyward Sword will come out for Wii even though Wii 2 is coming.
    Excite Truck - You're probably thinking WTF, but this game is actually way awesome.
    Mario Galaxy 1 + 2 - nuff said
    Super Paper Mario - not as good as other Paper Marios, but still the awesome.
    Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - It was Wii only.
    Kirby's Epic Yarn - Costs too much $$, but is still epic.
    New Super Mario Bros. Wii - Forget the multiplayer. Just play single player - still awesome.
    Smash Bros. Brawl - Only fanboys hate it because it ruined their competitive nonsense. Fox only final destination and all that nonsense. Fuck 'em.

That's 10 games that you can only play on Wii that are must play for anyone who calls themselves a gamer. Neither XBox nor PS3 can claim that many.

Granted, like I said, most of the best console games of the previous generation are available for PS3 and XBox but not anything else.

Also, it's not must play, but there are a bunch of Trauma Center games for Wii, if that's your thing.

Also, I haven't played Sin & Punishment, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Punch-Out, or Boom Blox, but those are four more potential Wii-only picks right there.

I'm not going to say the Wii is great or anything. Just like everyone else, I haven't used the Wii in a long long time. It sits there collecting dust just like everyone elses. However, it's not due to a small library of exclusive great games. It's due to the fact that you beat these games in a couple days, and then have no reason to turn the Wii on again. Meanwhile, my XBox, which I only own two disc games for gets used at least every other day. That's because games like Rock Band 3, SSFIV, Pac-Man CEDX, etc. all have tons of replay value due to XBLive not being friend code nonsense.

Imagine if Wii had proper online like Steam and XBL. The Smash Bros. would be even more intense than the SSFIV that goes on.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • God of War 3
    If you actually like God of War 3, you really need some broader video game exposure.
    I don't know of any other game franchise that sates my fix for oiled up naked men straddling minotaurs while trying desperately to shove their sword in its mouth. It's a niche genre and, sadly, they even took out that quick time event in God of War 3 for the much less awesome headlock + sword fellate.

I had high hopes for Age of Conan, but to no avail.
  • It's due to the fact that you beat these games in a couple days, and then have no reason to turn the Wii on again. Meanwhile, my XBox, which I only own two disc games for gets used at least every other day.
    This we completely agree on. Just that instead of a 360, I have a PS3, which is just fine to me since I don't play online. With the exception of Rock Band, I play all my games with breadth, not depth. Once I play through the single player, I move on. Multiplayer, while fun in small bursts, has never had much appeal to me unless it's of the everyone-in-the-same-room variety. I played the shit out of some Counter-Strike back in the day, but only because we'd have LAN parties at people's houses. I played the shit out of some Halo 1 + 2 in college, but only because there was an Xbox in every dorm room all playing on the LAN. Once I was removed from those, I completely stopped caring about multiplayer.

At this point, the only thing online does for me is maintain a leaderboard. And I also ignore those because I know I will never be the best at anything, that's just not in my blood. I'm just meant to be average to above-average in as many things as I can.
  • Single player isn't gaming, it's practice.
    I consider single player to be nothing more than interactive story telling. And I like that sort of thing. As I said, I'm all about playing games with others, just as long as I can see them.
    Super Meat Boy isn't true multiplayer. Just leaderboards and single player. Is SMB a game?
    Super Meat Boy isn't true multiplayer. Just leaderboards and single player. Is SMB a game?
    It's a puzzle.
  • herewegoagain.jpeg
  • You know what? I'm just gonna let it go. You win, Scott.
  • edited April 2011
    herewegoagain.jpeg
    Goin' down the only road we've ever known?
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on

• Oh wait, you guys weren't thinking of this song? Shit...
  • edited April 2011
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I'm ashamed of all of you!

The obvious choice.
  • The obvious choice.

Err, I mean -

• edited April 2011
    Scratch that...idiot friend sent me fake link -.-
    Post edited by Originalme8 on
  • Will the inevitable class action lawsuit be big enough to really hurt Sony? We know Nintendo is making a move soon. I'm pretty sure Microsoft is also looking to the next gen in 2 yearsish.

SONY? In the words of Mario: This alooka nota so good!