This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

LULZ Playstation

13»

Comments

lolreddit.
    Will the inevitable class action lawsuit be big enough to really hurt Sony? We know Nintendo is making a move soon. I'm pretty sure Microsoft is also looking to the next gen in 2 yearsish.

SONY? In the words of Mario: This alooka nota so good!
    It's a bit soon to be declaring this the Hokutou Zankai Ken that kills Sony, or even Sony's gaming divisions. I also think that what you're going to see is Microsoft and Nintendo do nice, long audits of their internal security.
  • Will the inevitable class action lawsuit be big enough to really hurt Sony? We know Nintendo is making a move soon. I'm pretty sure Microsoft is also looking to the next gen in 2 yearsish.
    I personally doubt it. Most of the lawsuits incoming will be frivolous and thrown out. Any lawsuit worth anything will be settled out of court for a lump sum. As I am not a lawyer, I have no idea what you could really sue over. Are there laws that require certain kinds of data to be encrypted or secured beyond certain layers of protection? And if they follow those laws, is it really against them that someone else got through those standards?

What I think Sony should do, is they should actually wait a couple years after the other two release their next gen offerings. At the rate technology progresses, they could wait a couple years and have a system either far more powerful or equally as powerful for much cheaper, and it would be after the initial wave of hype for the others dies down. Also, the extra time will allow them to, hopefully, not fuck up so badly.
  • "Confirmation that all credit card numbers were stored in an encrypted format and that there is no evidence that data was taken."
    Damn you Sony!
    You release this minutes after I canceled my credit card! :O
  • Damn you Sony!
    Better to be safe than sorry. Also this is why you should always have a backup card.
  • Damn you Sony!
    Better to be safe than sorry. Also this is why you should always have a backup card.
    Oh, I have plenty but that one was the one that I would get more "rewards" :O
  • edited April 2011
    Oh yeah, uh, er, wrong thread.

Um, boo Sony!
    Post edited by P_TOG on
  • The crew for the next Muppet movie rolled into my town today to shoot a couple scenes.
    ...Wrong thread?
  • "Confirmation that all credit card numbers were stored in an encrypted format and that there is no evidence that data was taken."
    Damn you Sony!
    Funny, as when I called Amex to cancel my card, the representative claimed that Amex had already received multiple reports of stolen card information.
    Damn you Sony!
    Funny, as when I called Amex to cancel my card, the representative claimed that Amex had already received multiple reports of stolen card information.
    It could be coincidence. Remember the Toyota recall? There was nothing wrong with the cars, it was all driver error. The PSN network has enough people such that a certain percentage are having their credit cards stolen all the time. Also, lots of people probably never check their statements, and didn't discover a problem until they were prompted to check due to the PSN news.

Really, anyone who canceled their card because of this is overreacting, and hurting themselves. The age of your oldest line of credit is very important, and closing a card removes a line of credit. If you actually have invalid purchases on your statement, then you can just dispute the charges trivially. If you are seeing lots of fraudulent charges continuing to occur, you can get a new card with a new number without canceling the line of credit.
  • anyone who canceled their card because of this is overreacting, and hurting themselves.
    Yeap. Considering any credit card will trivially change your number, nevermind the inherent fraud protection, it's a non-issue.
  • edited April 2011
    Remember the Toyota recall? There was nothing wrong with the cars, it was all driver error.
    What, you mean the one last one, which was an issue with the anti-lock braking system because of a bug in the software, or do you mean the one before that where there was a mechanical defect in the throttle return, causing it to stick wide open?
    Post edited by Churba on
  • or do you mean the one before that where there was a mechanical defect in the throttle return, causing it to stick wide open?
    That one.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703834604575364871534435744.html?mod=WSJ_auto_IndustryCollection
  • anyone who canceled their card because of this is overreacting, and hurting themselves.
    Yeap. Considering any credit card will trivially change your number, nevermind the inherent fraud protection, it's a non-issue.
    I guess I should've been more clear. I didn't cancel my credit card account, just the card itself -- i.e., changed the number on it. I knew there was no reason to cancel the entire account, but I figured changing the number was harmless enough that it was worth playing safe. Heck, since I'm a long time customer of Amex's, they even sent out my replacement card via next-day air.
  • edited April 2011
    That one.
    Scott, you do know in that article that all they are saying is that in some investigated crashes involving that problem, they're suspecting driver error is at fault in some cases, because the computer does not say the brake pedal was depressed - however, a mechanically stuck throttle or floor mat entrapment would show the pedal held down anyway, and in either case - as in, driver put on the hooks/put it into Neutral or not, it would still look like pedal misapplication- they did still find a number of cars were faulty.

We get what you mean, but Just a bad pick for cases to represent the point you're making, y'know?
    Post edited by Churba on
  • We get what you mean, but Just a bad pick for cases to represent the point you're making, y'know?
    Stop herping and derping.
    The “vast majority” of complaints about Toyotas were at low speeds or when the vehicle was stationary, Medford said.

“What most likely happened was pedal misapplication,” he said. “The driver stepped on the gas rather than the brake or in addition to the brake.”
    Emphasis added.
  • edited April 2011
    There was nothing wrong with the cars, it was all driver error
    Emphasis added.
    The “vast majority” of complaints about Toyotas were at low speeds or when the vehicle was stationary, Medford said.

“What most likely happened was pedal misapplication,” he said. “The driver stepped on the gas rather than the brake or in addition to the brake.”
    Emphasis added.
    Unless you want to contend that vast majority is the same thing as all, Fuck off.

Oh, and furthermore, from the same article you're quoting -
    The findings don’t change the fact that the recalled cars and trucks had flaws, said Rebecca Lindland, an analyst at IHS Automotive in Lexington, Massachusetts.

“There really were people killed and injured. There really were runaway cars,” she said. “They are saying it was mechanical and not electronic. That doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. It doesn’t end the fallout.”
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited April 2011
    How does it take 7 days for them to confirm that the credit card information was encrypted? It should be as simple as:

PR Guy: "Hey John! The credit card information the hackers stole, was it encrypted?"
    John: "I dunno PR Guy but Mac would know."
    PR Guy: "Mac, was the credit card information encrypted?"
    Mac: "Eeeeyup."

There's really no reason they should wait 4 days, then tell everyone their credit card information might have been stolen, then wait 3 more days and tell everyone it was encrypted.
    If this had all taken place within the same day, I could understand it.
    Post edited by Glom on
  • edited May 2011
    http://www.next-gen.biz/news/capcom-psn-outage-%E2%80%9Ccosting-us-hundreds-of-thousands%E2%80%9D

The PSN outage is hurting developers and publishers perhaps more than gamers. They can't sell their games. Some DRM protected games are unplayable. Their daily revenues from PSN sales went from a big number to $0, and have been stuck at $0 for the entire time. It probably hurts the game publishers just as much as Borders closing hurt the book publishers.

Maybe we will see a lawsuit from the publisher side of things? A customer class action suit probably won't really hurt Sony, but what if the publishers come in with one of their own? It will probably be bigger, and give Sony a double-whammy that could KO the Playstation? Maybe?
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Maybe they'll start focusing on PC games and allowing people to host dedicated servers. What a novel idea!
  • Maybe they'll start focusing on PC games and allowing people to host dedicated servers. What a novel idea!
    I have never heard of this before, but I would like to know more.

I'd love to see the PS3 drop in value such that I could grab one for $50-100. The uses are manifold once you put linux on it: set-top box, server, a brain for home automation. This is very bad for Sony, but it could be very good for the DIY community.
  • To steal a joke from Reddit today, Sony should just try this:
    I have never heard of this before, but I would like to know more.

I'd love to see the PS3 drop in value such that I could grab one for $50-100. The uses are manifold once you put linux on it: set-top box, server, a brain for home automation. This is very bad for Sony, but it could be very good for the DIY community.
    What's weird is when I'm at work, I've seen more people looking at PS3 stuff since the outage than before, and hardly anyone looking at Xbox stuff. People are even buying the hardware now. It mystifies me but I don't think on a retail level this outage is hurting them that much.
  • This has got to be the coolest announcement I've heard from Sony for a long time. And on top of that, it's presented by Mega64. Amazing.

Also, yes, this is real.

• Also, yes, this is real.
    Buy our game twice!
  • This has got to be the coolest announcement I've heard from Sony for a long time. And on top of that, it's presented by Mega64. Amazing.
    You forgot the best part: that Kojima had it dubbed into Japanese by Metal Gear Solid voice actors.

I freaking love these guys. Oh, and Kojima too.